Toxic Mod Authors

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
EpicFawker

Toxic Mod Authors

Post by EpicFawker »

Hello,

I recently wanted to use a plugin for phpBB, i learned that it was on a persons site so i went there and registered. Low and behold i was banned before i even got into the site.

The mod is phpBB arcade for 3.1

For some reason the mod author needs to authorize accounts to access his forum and its says its a 1 - 2 day so after 2 days i decided to send him a polite contact request asking him if he could validate my account.

Instead i got a rather rude response and was told i was denied for no reason! The name i signed up as was Titans it wasn't even EpicFawker so there is no way that my username could have even been offensive either.

I'm not looking for sympathy, just trying to let people know how toxic and stupid some of these mod authors are.

Are there others in this community that act childish like this so i can avoid them as well?
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Re: Toxic Mod Authors

Post by bonelifer »

From reading that exchange it sounds like they have banned the DOMAIN of the email address. In other words it's not you that has been banned, but the domain. So try another email address with a different domain to register.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Yeah he's been doing this since the 3.0 MOD version. A bit radical and over protective of emails and making sure your domain name is legit, like wth man. Not worth it the time and frustration.
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by bonelifer »

Ozo wrote:Yeah he's been doing this since the 3.0 MOD version. A bit radical and over protective of emails and making sure your domain name is legit, like wth man. Not worth it the time and frustration.
I don't think it's about "your domain name is legit". I believe it's about his email/board, not getting spammers signing up.
EpicFawker

Post by EpicFawker »

Used another account behind a proxy, non spam looking and legit looking and he deleted it lol.

I just have the impression the author is a prick tbh and could careless about his mods and(or) those who wish to use them.

Shame really, i would have more then likely donated a few bucks to him to help keep his mods alive.
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by bonelifer »

It could have nothing to do with the way it looks. Literally some sites block all free mail hosts, like yahoo, gmail, and hotmail, etc.
EpicFawker

Post by EpicFawker »

bonelifer wrote:It could have nothing to do with the way it looks. Literally some sites block all free mail hosts, like yahoo, gmail, and hotmail, etc.
Used a domain email from one of the domains i own, he indeed also locked that one to.

He blocked a gmail, yahoo and a legit TLD.

The plugin author is just a prick, it is exactly what it looks like no matter how you try to defend of justify his actions.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

I just registered with no problem but to download the extension requires a donation (to a budapest bank no less). Pass on this extension, it's an arcade thing and really isn't worth it for a true board discussion/forum.

If you want to play games do it on facebook.

I find it extremely humerous that killbill, one of the site admin's, requested events for the sole purpose of this extension. People are just asshats some times.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Since phpBB allows embedding of Flash, I added a few flash games I grabbed off the net over the years. Like PacMan, Frogger and Space Invaders. You could do the same by Googling those games and downloading the swf file and hosting it on your forum. Might be a copyright thing though. Not sure about that. They created the game in flash so I don't understand that.
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

RMcGirr83 wrote:I just registered with no problem but to download the extension requires a donation (to a budapest bank no less).
Where did you get this idea? There is no need to donor to download and install the Arcade extension. It requires registering the domain of your website in your profile before you RUN Arcade. That's all.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Noname.jpg
Noname.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
That's where.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

aha - misunderstanding by you. These are additional extensions. For donors group.

Use the download menu, please
Attachments
arcade.gif
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Pretty sure I'm not the first to have this 'misunderstanding'. Maybe if it was more clear it wouldn't be misunderstood.
EpicFawker

Post by EpicFawker »

Even if that's the case, it still doesn't answer the actions of the mod author with banning people for absolutely no reason.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It's his site he can do exactly as he wants, like it or not.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©

Return to “General Discussion”