chat or no chat?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
nhseacoast

chat or no chat?

Post by nhseacoast »

I'm just wondering what y'all think about a chat extension on a new board? I'd like to add it to give users the option, but I'm worried it will reduce posting activity.
Your thoughts?
AmigoJack

Re: chat or no chat?

Post by AmigoJack »

One big disadvantage of it is: members will treat it as a support center - they won't create reports (aka "flag posts") anymore, but just write it into the chat, where the text will vanished, unnoticed by any moderator.
nhseacoast

Post by nhseacoast »

Interesting...I never gave that a thought.
Rhynn

Post by Rhynn »

Honestly, that has never yet happened to me - at least not without a moderator present and active to actually attend to the report. Then again my users never quite seem to be able to find the report button, so perhaps AmigoJack does have a point :lol:

In my experience it depends on what sort of users you have. For some communities a chat box is the last thing the users are looking for, while other communities are practically begging for one. As admin it's up to you to figure out what sort of community you've got on your hands.
nhseacoast

Post by nhseacoast »

Rhynn wrote:Honestly, that has never yet happened to me - at least not without a moderator present and active to actually attend to the report. Then again my users never quite seem to be able to find the report button, so perhaps AmigoJack does have a point :lol:

In my experience it depends on what sort of users you have. For some communities a chat box is the last thing the users are looking for, while other communities are practically begging for one. As admin it's up to you to figure out what sort of community you've got on your hands.
Thanks for the input....as of right now, I have an empty community on my hands. :?
enter a valid email

Post by enter a valid email »

A Chat (Box) is an good way to ask some Question.
The German phpbb Board have an IRC Chat. Its very usefull for me!!!
The could answer me some question in seconds. ;)
I dont understand why the most people hate it. :roll:
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

AmigoJack wrote:members will treat it as a support center
enter a valid email wrote:A Chat (Box) is an good way to ask some Question
Quod erat demonstrandum.
enter a valid email wrote:IRC Chat
phpbb Board
That would be an Internet Relay Chat chat and a Pre Hypertext Processor Bulletin Board Board. :lol:
enter a valid email

sorry i dont understand.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

enter a valid email wrote:I dont understand why the most people hate it
"most people" hate what?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
enter a valid email

an chat
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

do you know "most people" ? I don't, but I would guess that many people do not want a chat on a bulletin board.

I am one of those people. If you want a chat, install a chat instead of a bulletin board. chats are for instant chat back and forth, usually about nothing important. a bulletin board ( phpbb ) is usually about making posts with content and discussing that content in depth with many others . It can be instant if you are watching the topic and want to reply instantly, but it is not chat.

having a chat for product support is a great idea. but because you like and want a chat for a support line does not mean that a chat on a bulletin board is as important.

it boils down to personal preference. If you want a chat on your board, install one. there is the mchat extension that works just fine and many many people use it with no problems.

luck,
robert
webhostuk

Post by webhostuk »

It has got some advantage and some disadvantage .. you will surely get quick replies using chat application , but thats also true it might reduce thread conversation if users get addicted to chat usage.
david63

Post by david63 »

webhostuk wrote:you will surely get quick replies using chat application
Only if there is somebody who knows the answer on line at the same time as you are on line otherwise you may never get an answer - whereas posting a question will eventually be seen by somebody who will be able to answer.
Kizufgsfds

Post by Kizufgsfds »

I'm all in for a cleaner board, the less the better, so I usually stay away from chat plugins.
And it might reduce topics as people would rather chat it than create a new topic
enter a valid email

sorry for late replay.
If you want a chat, install a chat instead of a bulletin board. chats are for instant chat back and forth, usually about nothing important.
sorry that is rubbish!
Why does many Company use Facebook? Simple Answer that Customer could ask an Question and get instant Replay. When I have a special question like what kind of Train operate tomorrow between X and Y the give me an answer in <2h. When I send an Mail how long did it take if the replay? Yes Days or longer. :roll:
So why not the same for an Forum? Ok ok I am not an Company but I try to help Peoples.
If you want a chat on your board, install one. there is the mchat extension that works just fine and many many people use it with no problems.
Sure I will try it. :roll:
you will surely get quick replies using chat application , but thats also true it might reduce thread conversation if users get addicted to chat usage.
what is better and "clean" discussion or people who "spam" in the Board like: "hey does the Bus X realy go to Y ?".
Sure when you place Adds on your Board you want many Treads you could get.
Only if there is somebody who knows the answer on line at the same time as you are on line otherwise you may never get an answer - whereas posting a question will eventually be seen by somebody who will be able to answer.
sure thats true. In the German phpbb Chat Group normaly in the evening some geeks are online who know the answer for simple questions. It save a lot of time and the best the could give an instant replay.

Return to “General Discussion”