So, what was that about global warming again?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

So, what was that about global warming again?

Post by dhn »

This interesting article wrote: Arctic Melting Fast; May Swamp U.S. Coasts by 2099

Brian Handwerk
for National Geographic News
November 9, 2004

Scientists have determined that the ice in Greenland and the Arctic is melting so rapidly that much of it could be gone by the end of the century. (See photos from the Arctic.)

The results could be catastrophic for polar people and animals, while low-lying lands as far away as Florida could be inundated by rising sea levels. (Read a story, see a map of how warming may toast Florida's coast).

The Arctic Climate Impact Assessment was released yesterday. It will be discussed by the Arctic Council (the governments of Canada, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, the Russian Federation, Sweden, and the U.S., as well as six indigenous-peoples organizations) at a meeting in Iceland today.

The four-year study of the Arctic climate involved an international team of more than 300 scientists. They used a number of climate models and made a "moderate estimate" of future emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases that are widely believed to be contributing to the recent warming trend of the Earth's climate.

The study concluded that in Alaska, western Canada, and eastern Russia, average temperatures have increased as much as 4 to 7 degrees Fahrenheit (3 to 4 degrees Celsius) in the past 50 years, nearly twice the global average. Temperatures are projected to rise 7 to 13 degrees Fahrenheit (4 to 7 degrees Celsius) over the next hundred years.

The rising temperatures are likely to cause the melting of at least half the Arctic sea ice by the end of the century. A significant portion of the Greenland ice sheet—which contains enough water to raise the worldwide sea level by about 23 feet (about 7 meters)—would also melt.

[Read full article]

Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

... it could be gone by the end of the century.

I'll definitely be dead by then, so will most of the people here so It's hardly important. :)

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

Rapid Dr3am wrote:
... it could be gone by the end of the century.

I'll definitely be dead by then, so will most of the people here so It's hardly important. :)

yeah, i'm sure no one has kids or cares about the future.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

Bush-Administration Officials today made the following statements:

Liberal-Communist-environmental-fringe-loonies are shamelessly lying to the american people. There is no global warming within a thousand miles of our nation. The carbon dioxides are commiting suicide by the hundreds outside of our borders.
Look around. Do you see polar bears walking around as they claimed? No! Do not be deceived any longer. Do not believe the lies that pour out of the mouth of the wicked. God will roast their stomachs in hell.

ram86man

Post by ram86man »

They can send some of that global warming this way then. I'm cold. :(

SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

TC wrote: yeah, i'm sure no one has kids or cares about the future.

Not everyone gets to breed and/or succumbs to Darwinism via other means anyway. ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

R. U. Serious wrote: Bush-Administration Officials today made the following statements:

Liberal-Communist-environmental-fringe-loonies are shamelessly lying to the american people. There is no global warming within a thousand miles of our nation. The carbon dioxides are commiting suicide by the hundreds outside of our borders.
Look around. Do you see polar bears walking around as they claimed? No! Do not be deceived any longer. Do not believe the lies that pour out of the mouth of the wicked. God will roast their stomachs in hell.
For some reason I'm not laughing.

Moving on. I do think it is something to be concerned about. But then again, estimates put current oil usage at all oil being completely gone by 2050, so ho hum.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn »

Techie-Micheal wrote: Moving on. I do think it is something to be concerned about. But then again, estimates put current oil usage at all oil being completely gone by 2050, so ho hum.

So, we will get flooded and won't be able to drive our cars and speedboats? Bummer.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

dhn wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Moving on. I do think it is something to be concerned about. But then again, estimates put current oil usage at all oil being completely gone by 2050, so ho hum.

So, we will get flooded and won't be able to drive our cars and speedboats? Bummer.
Yeah. :/
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Come on, none of that hippie tree-hugging "environment" and "concern for the future" crap is as important as the next fiscal quarterly profits. Whatever the problem is, it's not worth inconveniencing people or (more importantly) big campaign contri- I mean corporations. Don't worry, the Republicans have it under control.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

But on a more serious note, I think it's fascinating how people measure their support for the concept of global warming based on political ideologies. Just as most American creationists just happen to be Republicans, global warming deniers tend to be Republicans as well. There seems to be something which is very Republican about denigrating the conclusions of the experts, whether they be biologists, climatologists, economists, or weapons inspectors. It strikes me as some kind of reactionary anti-intellectual streak.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

dhn
Former Team Member

Post by dhn »

Darth Wong wrote: But on a more serious note, I think it's fascinating how people measure their support for the concept of global warming based on political ideologies. Just as most American creationists just happen to be Republicans, global warming deniers tend to be Republicans as well. There seems to be something which is very Republican about denigrating the conclusions of the experts, whether they be biologists, climatologists, economists, or weapons inspectors. It strikes me as some kind of reactionary anti-intellectual streak.

But they are making the money and have the power. Don't you see it? More money == more intelligent! They are fooling us into thinking they are dumb and ignorant, but they are so much smarter!

ZoliveR
Former Team Member

Post by ZoliveR »

I try myself to be ecological, to use electric transport (trams) or bus or metro, to put to trash what i've used and finished to use, to do all my best, and beside that i see many people and many countries (i.e. the USA) that are completely ignorant about that. So it's bad, but i'm sure that the smelt of the icebergs will happen in 2099, even if the world is stopping to eject CO² in the atmosphere in 2070 or even in 2050 or in 2020.
What will happen in 2099 is the result of the human activity in the 20th and 19th century. So if we continue to pollute the world in the 21th century, that will be more worsen in the 22th and 23th century (and maybe after).
So yeah who cares about 2099? If i'm still alive in 2099, i will have 123 years old. Maybe before 2050 things and mentality will change, and that we can find the way to use a machinery to convert Co² to Oxygen... I hope but well that begin now and not in 2050.
If there's a fissure in a building, you don't wait 40 years or when the bulding falls, you manage to colmate the fissure now... Unhappily it's not the same about the pollution. I hope so that progressively mentality will change and people will use electric cars...
No more Team Chocolate Member. I decided to leave, it's my choice. Thanks to all for all these years.
I'm always near if you need news of me. But no more support is given (private notification disabled)

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

dhn wrote: But they are making the money and have the power. Don't you see it? More money == more intelligent! They are fooling us into thinking they are dumb and ignorant, but they are so much smarter!

Is there any way we can have good discussion here without all the comic relief? Anybody who assumes that American politicians of whatever stripe have more environmentalist courage than the American people as a whole is seriously watching too much television.

Alaska has been sounding the alarm, and nobody in the other 49 states seems to be listening all that hard. Too bad so many of the hippie tree-huggers decided that being a materialist capitalist pig hedonist isn't so bad after all ...
We should talk less, and say more.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
R. U. Serious wrote:Bush-Administration Officials today made the following statements:

For some reason I'm not laughing.

C'mon. It's funny because it's true.

"The polar bears asked us to melt their icecap.."

All hail Operation Eskimo Sunbathing. :twisted:
super fun rainbow colour sig

Return to “General Discussion”