Best Game / Movie Tie in

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

As for the best movie-game tie-in, "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" for Atari 2600. It was such an awesome game, that Atari donated five-million copies to a landfill in Alamogordo, New Mexico.

Which you'll learn of if you read a certain book by Sandy Stone which has a story about the rise and demise of Atari. Highy recommended.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Kail wrote: With computer games becoming more and more cinematographic I don't really see the point in making movies about them.

Even the most cinematographic game can't hold a candle to a real movie. There's only so much you can do with CGI people, after all. The only reason videogame cutscenes are as compelling as they are is the fact that they are short. They take place between missions, and only last long enough to tell you what you need to know. They don't need to do all of the little things that a movie has to do in order to keep your interest. If you made a two hour long movie with the quality of HALO cutscenes it would be awful.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
Fubonis

Post by Fubonis »

Magnotta wrote:
Fubonis wrote:A "Legend of Zelda" movie will never happen, due to the fact that Link must be a mute. Miyamoto wills it.

Link is not a mute. Firstly, when talking to characters, you do reply to them, and secondly you hear his voice in the n64 versions of Zelda. They're just screams and such, but still it shows he has a voice.

It was more of a joke; I know Link has the ability to communicate. However, he will never have a voice (and neither will the other characters), because Miyamoto believes it allows the gamer to become more involved in the game, since the gamer is imagining what the voices would sound like. I personally would like to have voices put to the characters, but whatever. Maybe they could get Jonathan Potts to do the voice. Excuuuuuuse me, princess.
phpBB, more like idon'tlikeyouorwhatyoupostedsoi'lllockyourtopicandthendeleteitBB m i rite???
MovieReel.net

Post by MovieReel.net »

reids wrote: they are also making a Doom movie although i dont hold very high hopes for it - The Rock is leading actor >.<

Well there you go, Saying Dwayne Johnson is the leading character (The Rock). That makes it a bad film from the word go, No doubt he'll stand in every corridor and do the poses's he does against the camera like every 5 seconds... :roll:
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

Darth Wong wrote:
Kail wrote:With computer games becoming more and more cinematographic I don't really see the point in making movies about them.

Even the most cinematographic game can't hold a candle to a real movie. There's only so much you can do with CGI people, after all. The only reason videogame cutscenes are as compelling as they are is the fact that they are short. They take place between missions, and only last long enough to tell you what you need to know. They don't need to do all of the little things that a movie has to do in order to keep your interest. If you made a two hour long movie with the quality of HALO cutscenes it would be awful.

Well of course. My point wasn't to compare movies to games, rather to point out the different forms of narrative. A movie is not comparable to a game. I think games can stand on their own as the game narrative is developing rapidly and is more challenging and fun since it allows interaction.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!

Return to “General Discussion”