phpBB is dead

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
kaspir
Name: Greg

Re: phpBB is dead

Post by kaspir » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:35 am

david63 wrote:Let's just turn the question slightly.

What would happen if Facebook added a BB option tomorrow?
*sniff* :!: I smell a new phpBB extension/FB profile plugin? Someone call the doctor! What a great thought!

(I too like this topic, no matter where we got started!)

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:31 am

Faceache and Twatter are for people who like Faceache and Twatter. ie usually whittering on about everything and nothing to an audience who generally can not give a toss (I used the words generally and usually so as not to offend people who do not fall into the above description)

Fora are generally used by who care about what other people think and say, and (as has been mentioned previously) like to have everything available in a archived way that can be searched and used in the future.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:10 am

potku wrote:phone notification method
Can you elaborate? With e-mail and XMPP phpBB already serves 2 mediums, and both should be supported by nowadays smartphone operating systems. That's why I have no clue what you mean by this.

potku

Post by potku » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:41 am

The abandoned EXT I was referring to would have alerted users via WhatsApp. Not everyone uses WhatsApp, but it would have been a nice addition. In that case, notifications would have arrived from a phpBB-specific number. With e-mails, alerts or notifications can be from anywhere and anybody. The difference might not be huge, but there is one. At least to my eye. :)

I do not know how to approach this via Tapatalk, but I personally don't like Tapatalk at all for a number of reasons. Still, some users do like it, even to the point that not having Tapatalk installed means they forget about that particular board. That bothers me. In any case, even Tapatalk is more BBS-oriented that just e-mails because what ever one sees there, it's about topics and posts in BBS.

What ever grabs the attention of users is of use, IMHO. :)

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

phpBB is dead? Long live the King!

Post by Mick » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:18 pm

phpBB is dead? Long live the King! (it's true, have a search)

Also, have a look at the history of Compuserve. They were running BB's on dial-up long before Windows ever existed (yes it's true, there was a time when you had to do stuff for yourself and not rely on a GUI) and are still going to this day albeit in a different guise. In those days you had to write your own machine code and cobble PCB's together to make a fixed disk work via your parallel port, you had to know your hardware, firmware and software. I don't suppose many FBer's are doing that with their phones and pads? I ran a packet BB via ham radio in the early 80's. BB software has a very long history in a computing sense and is still going. The thing is, BB's will always have a place, as this board does. It's a far better platform for chatting about specifics in hobbies and industry alike that's why almost all support networks have a bulletin board.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

potku

Post by potku » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:55 am

I'd like to come back to tagging and liking. There were MODs for those for phpBB 3.0. Has something changed so much in phpBB 3.1 that coding those EXTs is not technically possible? How about phpBB 3.2 and later versions in that regard?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:47 am

The proper place to ask that would be the extensions forums.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

DiegoPino

Post by DiegoPino » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:44 am

PhpBB still live For long time :ugeek:

The Software its continue update and the people still register in PhpBB, information of extensión, mods, support, and performance in PhpBB continue up, and PhpBB its the most popular forum software in the world.

PhpBB its Live For long time :mrgreen:

Its one of the best forum, first on top 10. :ugeek:

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:03 pm

I have seen a big drop in activity over the years with the introduction of facebook! A lot of people out there just want to be able to go on to one place and post their stuff and that's it!

Most join groups too yet they don't realise the stuff they are posting just gets lost within a few minutes and forgotten about!

That been said I still get a fair few new users each day and also a fair few users who have never used a bulletin board before and these are young people of around 16 - 24

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:07 pm

pot wrote:...I do not know how to approach this via Tapatalk, but I personally don't like Tapatalk at all for a number of reasons. Still, some users do like it, even to the point that not having Tapatalk installed means they forget about that particular board. That bothers me. In any case, even Tapatalk is more BBS-oriented that just e-mails because what ever one sees there, it's about topics and posts in BBS...
I hate TT but I have it installed on one of my forums just because I have so many people still coming through using the app. I deleted TT support on all other forums because I hate the company and didn't have many people using it.

TT is kinda good from a user point of view, all their fave forums are in one list, they don't have to click on bookmarks, they have notifications right on their phone, etc. People are lazy nowadays and want quick headlines, and have incredibly short attention spans. People also don't seem to care about thoughtful, in depth discussions of things. They want quick short answers and they want the answer right this damn second. Or they want to chat about stupid useless fluff.

Forums are kind of dying off. I've been running phpBB forums for over 15 years now and I have seen a decline in regular folks the last few years. I'm still doing OK but I feel that forums have "peaked". I've noticed on some other forums I visit but don't run they also are quieter than years past.

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:07 pm

Swanny wrote: I hate TT but I have it installed on one of my forums just because I have so many people still coming through using the app. I deleted TT support on all other forums because I hate the company and didn't have many people using it.
Same here! I loath it! but members use it so I keep it!

Come January anyone using tapatalk on an IOS device will need a secure connection :roll:

SalazarAG

Post by SalazarAG » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:03 pm

I think phpbb should "walk" as other social media walks.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:14 am

SalazarAG wrote:social media walks
It cannot walk - I have no idea what you mean by that, despite quotes.

kaspir
Name: Greg

Post by kaspir » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:30 pm

potku wrote:This is an interesting topic. And I agree, the title should be about BBS in general, not just phpBB, but that's not of utmost importance. :)

Although social media as a term usually refers to Facebook and the like and not BBS, I agree that BBS are social media, too. The term just wasn't around 15 years ago (AFAIK). That's not important, either, just as long as everyone understands the terms the same way.

I also agree that BBS and other social media can coexist. Although they serve some of the same functions, they also have their differences. In BBS, users are posters among other posters, whereas in newer social media users have their own personal page. That's one huge difference and one that tips the scales toward the newer social media. It feels good to be the king of your own page, and there's nothing wrong with that. We are human beings.

Information overflow and especially "information" overflow is staggering nowadays. That's a problem unless one knows how to handle it. That definitely works in the favor of BBS.

Another difference related to the above is the visibility of information (or "information"). That's where BBS take the cake. You can read posts from years back with ease using BBS. With newer social media, it's all just about gone usually in a matter of hours or days.

And there's a problem. One of the founders of our site recently logged back in after a long hiatus. He has been around the Internet since the days of newsgroups, and he is a man of words. Even he said that this newer social media has shortened his attention span so much that he cannot participate in BBS anymore. He wasn't happy about that.

The future and phpBB? I would think that tagging users and liking posts and topics should be a part of the core of phpBB. Those functions are very popular in, say, Facebook. They were very popular on our phpBB 3.0., and our users miss them.

Another welcome change would be incorporating some sort of phone notification method. There was an EXT in the works for this, but unfortunately (and understandably) it was abandoned recently.

We have WordPress, phpBB, a Facebook page, a Facebook group, and a WhatsApp group. They do not work flawlessly together, far from it, and they serve different functions, but I think some sort of bundle like that works the best in today's virtual world. phpBB has always been and still is the heart of our site and community.
You make some excellent points. Especially about tagging, liking, mobile notifications and I too would love to have those features come standard. It's not that extensions are difficult, in fact it's my assumption that phpBB is relying on extensions to shape some of it's future.

Many platforms, even including WP, however do not include any of it standard (ie Jetpack is needed for likes & socials sharing). If phpBB were to standardize highly demanded extensions or ideas that we're proposing and they too support in the future, that could indeed make phpBB stand out from the rest. There is that of which phpBB has now, that makes phpBB great now. But who says they can't expand? Hell, IPB also comes with little standard, and they charge for their platform! PhpBB could do the same with something fresh for us, but also their competitors!

But don't get me wrong, all the devs that support phpBB and those that write extensions, are the true backbone of it all. There's always something they know, we (I) don't. :)
AmigoJack wrote:
SalazarAG wrote:social media walks
It cannot walk - I have no idea what you mean by that, despite quotes.
:rofl'copter: This guy right here.. :o

potku

Post by potku » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Mick, you are right, of course, but I just thought if it's common knowledge to everyone but me, so someone could have known. I was just looking for a Yes/No answer basically. :)

Swanny, you make good points. :)

I had to think about that walking a bit. Maybe it refers to cell phones and those already-mentioned notifications, no? :)

Return to “General Discussion”