Subliminal messages in music

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
divad123

Subliminal messages in music

Post by divad123 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:19 am

Normally, I wouldn't believe that there are subliminal messages in songs, but when a friend pointed out this website to me it made me wonder just how many songs do have subliminal messages in them. And made me wonder if they work. What are you views on the matter?

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:59 am

For a sublimal message to work, it must be noticeable in some way, shape, or form; I highly doubt most people will get the supposed "Stairway to Heaven" message some Christians love shouting about just by listening to the song. I happen to very much love that song...

A sublimal message would be like a Winamp visualization which occasionally flashes pieces of or the word "popcorn" which in turn makes you want popcorn. (There is such a visualization if it is still available.)

At least, that's how I understand it.

The "Stairway to Heaven" thing is at best a "hidden message" and at worst someone's byproduct of being bored...

Erikina

Post by Erikina » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:25 am

Romans, I think you're missing the piont. Subliminal messages aren't supposed to be conscious noticed, just as a stimuli.
-Eric Springer

adamsmark

Post by adamsmark » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:22 am

Believe me, buy there U2's are new subliminal album messages today in music. What they're trying to say, who knows?
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:25 am

I can't explain it, but I have a sudden urge to visit Amazon...

Now where'd I put my credit card???

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:25 am

Erikina wrote: Romans, I think you're missing the piont. Subliminal messages aren't supposed to be conscious noticed, just as a stimuli.

When psychologists say that stimuli have a subconscious effect on you, they don't mean that you don't consciously notice the stimuli. The mean that you don't consciously notice it forming associations in your head.

For example, look at the typical beer commercial. A typical beer commercial has 3 ingredients:
  1. Beer
  2. Hot chicks
  3. Guys having fun, partying
Thousands of repetitions of this basic motif in thousands of beer commercials have created a Pavlovian association in your mind, so that you subconsciously associate beer with partying, having fun, and hot chicks.

Now, does this phenomenon work when you don't even notice the stimuli in question? No. And the only evidence that was ever produced to prove that unnoticeable stimuli work turned out to be extremely misleading. The famous "flash a picture of a drink onscreen in a movie and watch the concession stand sales shoot up" experiment did the control group in winter and the test group in the heat of summer. You figure it out.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

demon_master

Post by demon_master » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:33 am

Subliminal messages are not really the main the goal of the music artist's persay. Well, as far as I know any how. Alot of this was noticed when a couple of people had noticed subliminal messages that came from a few rock star's records. I forget which group or groups it was off hand, but, I think they wanted to be different then the other bands out at that time. So, they thought it would be cool to make messages noticed when listening to it in reverse.

It might also be their cool way of making a comment or telling people what they were thinking about when making that perticular song to, you never know. I guess it comes down to, what you the listener thinks of it, and make your own decision about that "subliminal message". I dunno, everything out there is interesting, and the reasons for it all. Just my 2 cents.

demon_master

Erikina

Post by Erikina » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:31 am

adamsmark wrote: Believe me, buy there U2's are new subliminal album messages today in music. What they're trying to say, who knows?

I wonder if you had a very faint water mark perhaps 2% of a company logo like pepsi as the background for each post if that would do anything for Pepsi sales.

Darth Wong You are right... again :oops:
-Eric Springer

Silverhawk060

Post by Silverhawk060 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:07 pm

Reversed songs may or may not contain messages. The first time i heard that song in reverse i could not hear any form of satanic messages. Then when someone showed me the supposed text of the satanic message the message could now be heard.

The "message" could simply be a trick of the mind filling in the holes you can't actually intepret.

Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:28 pm

I think there you've just proved the point of "hearing what you want/expect to hear" ;)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:25 pm

Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

adamsmark

Post by adamsmark » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:09 pm

Darth Wong wrote: ...
Now, does this phenomenon work when you don't even notice the stimuli in question? No. And the only evidence that was ever produced to prove that unnoticeable stimuli work turned out to be extremely misleading. The famous "flash a picture of a drink onscreen in a movie and watch the concession stand sales shoot up" experiment did the control group in winter and the test group in the heat of summer. You figure it out.

And what would happen if two conflicting messages were presented. (Gee, can I have a warm Coke, please?) Yeah, there's no evidence that these messages work, but a constant barrage of ideas and images is very influential.

I think I'll have a beer now. 8)
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com

Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:18 pm

I have absolutley no doubt that there are subliminal messages in today's music (and some less subliminal than others at that), however, not in the form that you are presenting here. They are far more obvious than playing the track backwards (as noted, that's not subliminal - that's "playing the track backwards and extracting what you want to hear from it"). I think DW's on the right track here, though obviously translated from TV advertising to musical lyrics. It isn't what you don't hear when playing the track normally (what would the point be in an artist/producer inserting a subliminal message that the average joe would never actually come accross?) but what you hear every time you listen to the track, yet don't quite consciously realise it - per http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=subliminal (Slipknot's "Volume 3 - The Subliminal Verses" anyone?).

xbitz

Subliminal Messages

Post by xbitz » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:39 pm

I believe there are sub. messages in todays music. Look at how many young girls wanted to be like Spears amd then you take into account the Beatles who had people fainting when they saw them.

Another one I believe has alot of subliminal messages are movies maybe more then even music.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:50 pm

xbitz, you release you have bumped a topic nearly 2 years old?
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

Return to “General Discussion”