Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
GoesOn

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by GoesOn »

Mick wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:00 am
GoesOn wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 pmproflat
I meant what is the subject of your board not the style in use.
I do not know what it is.
English is not my native language :!:
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

Is your board about little white rabbits or green men from mars or 1990's dodge cars? Or something else?
BFishY

Post by BFishY »

david63 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:57 pm As has been said many times before - content, content, content.

There is no shortcut to getting "traffic" - it takes time and you need to be patient, it will not happen overnight.
Well said
Kuznec

Post by Kuznec »

Content is no longer a priority for Google, he ceased to be king, now other factors are more important - including behavioral ones.
Holger

Post by Holger »

But content is king when it comes to attract and hold users!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Kuznec wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:24 pm Content is no longer a priority for Google, he ceased to be king, now other factors are more important - including behavioral ones.
Please, do tell.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
JEFFJOHNSON
I've Been Banned!

Post by JEFFJOHNSON »

There are countless way, but these are the main five.

1) SEO - Search Engine Organic Traffic
2) Paid Traffic - Ads..
3) Email Marketing
4) Social
5) Partnerships

In each of these area's their are many facets of that you can explore.
Holger

Post by Holger »

I still think that CONTENT should be in the first place!
Methen

Post by Methen »

I know I have nothing but bad luck when it comes to getting people on my websites, I have had several people join my sites but no body wants to post and for the life of me I cant understand it.

Compared to many sites out there my sites are a lot more friendlier and censor free, But it seems to me that people actually want to be censored, I think part of the problem with my forum is everyone else is waiting for everyone else to start posting and I have told them several times that is not going to work, another problem I have notice is when you go to send a mass emails to your members it goes into the junk folder, I had to set up a new smtp server due to my web host not allowing mass email any more, and I was sending a test email to my hotmail account with just the word test in it and it went straight to the junk folder.

So a good part of the problem is your emails may not be reaching your members...
Last edited by Methen on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
david63

Post by david63 »

Methen wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:30 am another problem I have notice is when you go to send a mass email to your member it goes into the junk folder, I had set up a new smtp server due to my web host not allowing mass email any more and I was sending a test email to my hotmail account with just the word test in it and it went straight to the junk folder.
If emails from your board are being delivered and then treated as spam then your spam settings need adjusting, there is nothing that phpBB can do about that - although I would suspect that most spam filters would treat an email with just the word "test" in it as spam!
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

david63 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:18 amyour spam settings need adjusting
Often transfer agents/e-mail providers are interfering with their own spam settings and most of the time you have no chance to whitelist hosts or prove you're innocent.
Holger

Post by Holger »

Keyword: SPF

Also, Methen, sorry, but openly uncensored ... I would avoid such a place at all cost.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You can't force people to talk about things if there's nothing to talk about.

Successful sites are about something specific. You have a collection of people with a common interest and knowledge and want to share experiences, information or help. Sites about nothing in particular are extremely hard to get off the ground. Likewise sites that try and cover everything rarely work either because there are likely to be successful sites in existence on the specific subjects of each forum which you will never beat on a page rank.

Think about what you would put in to a search engine to actually find the site you run. If you can't really do that then it's not going to work. Most people will search for a hobby, a brand, a destination, an item, a medical condition. They don't search for 'random chat'.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Holger wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 amKeyword: SPF
That's no keyword. The e-mails have everything: both SPF and DKIM signatures, bulk headers, and the payload has URIs to unsubscribe.
Holger

Post by Holger »

SPF is server-related I think. So phpBB cannot ensure that SPF is valid, or am I wrong?
So, if Methens mailserver is not configured correctly, there might be problems
Why did SPF cause my mail to be rejected?

What is SPF?

SPF is an extension to Internet e-mail. It prevents unauthorized people from forging your e-mail address (see the introduction). But for it to work, your own or your e-mail service provider's setup may need to be adjusted. Otherwise, the system may mistake you for an unauthorized sender.

Note that there is no central institution that enforces SPF. If a message of yours gets blocked due to SPF, this is because (1) your domain has declared an SPF policy that forbids you to send through the mail server through which you sent the message, and (2) the recipient's mail server detected this and blocked the message.

Return to “General Discussion”