Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
GoesOn
Registered User
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by GoesOn » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 pm

kaptanjak wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:16 pm
GoesOn wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:56 pm
kaptanjak wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:48 pm
I'm trying to build backlinks right now. It's very difficult to get people to respond, although when they do they're usually willing to help. It's just getting them to actually read the email in the first place.

Couldn't agree more about Twitter. I think I've given them more publicity that they've given me. I could never figure out what twitter was good for in the first place.
One question, what is backlink good for? Then how does twitter help a forum?
Backlinks basically are what search engines use to rank your site. Each backlink is seen as kind of a vote for your site.

Well that's the big question. I'm beginning to wonder why Twitter even exists. You would think it would be a good tool for promoting just about anything, but it seems to be virtually useless in that regard.
But is it good with a backlink? Buying advertising space on twitter would probably cost a fortune I think?

On bling and yahoo, I'm on the first page and on the first line. But on google I lay for a long time 5-6 page so now I'm on the first page but think line on the 4 or 5 row. Google does well as it wants? But anyway, it has not affected my traffic to my side.
English is not my native language :!:

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 67233
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by KevC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am

A backlink is where your site is linked (mentioned) on someone elses site. The more of those you have, the higher your ranking on that particular part of the 'picture' that search engines use to place your site on the big list of similar sites.

Getting on to the first page of google (or anyone else) is a long long process. It can take months or years and requires lots of fresh regular content. There is no simple list of things you must do to get to the top of page one or else everyone would do them! And everyone cannot be first. For now, be grateful you're on page 5 and not 50 or 500.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

User avatar
david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 12976
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by david63 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:15 pm

KevC wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am
There is no simple list of things you must do to get to the top of page one
There isn't but one thing that will help is to have something unique about your site.

If you have a site about widgets then you will go in the mix with all the other widget sites but if you specialise in green left handed widgets then you stand more chance of getting to the top as there will be less green left handed widget sites around.

GoesOn
Registered User
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by GoesOn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:19 pm

KevC wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am
A backlink is where your site is linked (mentioned) on someone elses site. The more of those you have, the higher your ranking on that particular part of the 'picture' that search engines use to place your site on the big list of similar sites.

Getting on to the first page of google (or anyone else) is a long long process. It can take months or years and requires lots of fresh regular content. There is no simple list of things you must do to get to the top of page one or else everyone would do them! And everyone cannot be first. For now, be grateful you're on page 5 and not 50 or 500.
Backlink is just about placement on google and nothing else?
English is not my native language :!:

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 67233
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by KevC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:22 pm

I think they all use it. It's worth noting that they use multiple factors with different weightings of importance though. Backlinking is one of many factors.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

GoesOn
Registered User
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by GoesOn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:26 pm

david63 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:15 pm
KevC wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am
There is no simple list of things you must do to get to the top of page one
There isn't but one thing that will help is to have something unique about your site.

If you have a site about widgets then you will go in the mix with all the other widget sites but if you specialise in green left handed widgets then you stand more chance of getting to the top as there will be less green left handed widget sites around.
How do you get google links to one's page? Example a topic spoken in one's site?

But is it really the most important thing to be on the first page, I do not get more visitors for it? I think the most important thing is if you are looking for the world's best ice cream and google links to one's side where you talk about the world's best ice cream? I think wrong now?
English is not my native language :!:

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 67233
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by KevC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 pm

If you set the permissions for the bot group to bot access then they will be able to read the post contents and index that for search results.

The closer you are to the top of page 1, the better the chance you have that people will look at your site over someone elses. Think about how you search for things yourself. Do you go with one of the top 4 or 5 results or do you go 3 pages back and pick one there. So lots of content relevant to the subject being searched for is what you need. That's one area where your site, which every subject going, is at a disadvantage because your relative hit rate for a given subject is very low compared to the overall content of the site. If you only had a site about ice cream your total site content rating would be much higher because the relevant key words of 'ice' and 'cream' are much more common.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

GoesOn
Registered User
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by GoesOn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:49 pm

KevC wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 pm
If you set the permissions for the bot group to bot access then they will be able to read the post contents and index that for search results.

The closer you are to the top of page 1, the better the chance you have that people will look at your site over someone elses. Think about how you search for things yourself. Do you go with one of the top 4 or 5 results or do you go 3 pages back and pick one there. So lots of content relevant to the subject being searched for is what you need. That's one area where your site, which every subject going, is at a disadvantage because your relative hit rate for a given subject is very low compared to the overall content of the site. If you only had a site about ice cream your total site content rating would be much higher because the relevant key words of 'ice' and 'cream' are much more common.
How do I put it then?
Now I'm not an expert but based on the months I've had the forum up. The first day I launched the forum I had as a maximum of 27 visitors, do not know how it found the forum and then ... Was I probably not even indexed on google I think? Then I've been on everything from 5 to 7 page on google but then someday I'm on the first page, line 7 I think. It has not given me more traffic what I can see? It's always around 20-70 visitors, and so it's always been if I was on page 7 or 1. Do not know how that's but clear that I do not mind being on the first page :-D

But I still think that the most important thing is to google links to one side if you search for a word, I did not search the phpBB forum but how do you create a page and then suggested google is, otherwise you do not think there is a forum called phpBB? Hope you understand what I mean. I'm looking for many things online in several languages, for example, writing the world's smartest hacker, Google suggests phpBB. Now i know there is a forum called phpBB but before i did not know. :-D It's my thought and it's certainly wrong as always :-D

But now I want to change so Google can link to me
English is not my native language :!:

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 18021
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by Mick » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Content is the key, content, content and more content. Have you got lots of fresh, new, interesting and unique information on your board on a regular basis?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

GoesOn
Registered User
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by GoesOn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:35 am

Mick wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:22 pm
Content is the key, content, content and more content. Have you got lots of fresh, new, interesting and unique information on your board on a regular basis?
I do not contribute so unfortunately, which I'm sure losing a lot of but I understand what you mean.But how do I fix it so that it can link to my page?
English is not my native language :!:

User avatar
david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 12976
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by david63 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:34 am

GoesOn wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:35 am
how do I fix it so that it can link to my page?
As has been said before, there is no magic way to get to the top, or even first page, of Google listings - it takes time and constantly updated content

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 18021
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by Mick » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:28 am

What's the theme of your board?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

GoesOn
Registered User
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by GoesOn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:28 am
What's the theme of your board?
proflat :(
English is not my native language :!:

GoesOn
Registered User
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by GoesOn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Are 9500 visitors from April 22 to good results?
English is not my native language :!:

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 18021
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Getting traffic to your forum...any suggestions?

Post by Mick » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:00 am

GoesOn wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 pm
proflat
I meant what is the subject of your board not the style in use.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests