Why did you choose phpBB over other board systems?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
mrgtb

Re: Why did you choose phpBB over other board systems?

Post by mrgtb »

John connor wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:38 pm Because it isn't as asinine as the other software boards out there. I think I like how the notifications work more than anything. Xenforo is crap and so is VB. I would NEVER pay for a board either. Xenforo's notifications suck too.
I like XenForo but you're right about the notification system in it. Everyone that uses XenForo thinks it's the best one out there... but It's terrible and marks every one as read in it as soon as you click the notification link. When really it should only mark ones that have been clicked to read (not all of them marked read at once). I must admit phpBB wipes the floor with XenForo on the notifications feature
zorni

Post by zorni »

We're celebrating our 15th birthday with phpBB today. It was our choice, cause it is and was the best 'modable' board software which is open source.
At the moment we're working hard to bring it up to 3.2. Cause of a lot of mods and snippets this takes a lot of time - and we've to make our own style based on prosilver (atm it's 3.0.x with a subsilver based own style).

In this way it's time to thank all of the modders, supportes, coders and the phpbb.com (& .de) community: THANK YOU!
Last edited by Brf on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link
dkauzlaric

Post by dkauzlaric »

I've always liked PHPBB! I have used vBulletin and yes it is nice, but not worth the price.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

My first forum that I managed was my own invisionfree forum. It was free, had (has, zetaboards does too) a lively community, and I got my first taste of mods and scripts. I don't know if any of you used IF, but for those of you that used it in 2005-2007 you may remember RPG Inferno. Became pretty obsessed with it because it was banned due to some code copywrite issues. From there I downloaded nulled IPB, worked with mybb, vbulletin, and a couple others.

Phpbb was and still is the best open source forum software available. Other forums have their perks and specialties, but in general phpbb takes the cake. There are a multitude of extensions and styles, a huge community, active support...

Almost anything that you need done, for the most part, Phpbb can handle. I'm a web developer/administrator on the side, and when a client needs a forum developed, I always recommend Phpbb before anything. In some circumstances I try and recommend converting to Phpbb, but those are few and far between as most of my clients already use Phpbb, and I can recommend them an extension or two they wouldn't have thought of, or a new style, to spruce up their site :) I've had to go with others of course, only because there isn't an extension for every need... But it's mostly there and I love it. And it's pretty fast too. You can make Phpbb look, feel, and act like any forum out there and in the end users won't notice a thing.

Vbulletin doesn't have the community it used to, at all. IPB is nice, but it's also complicated to modify, and expensive. Mybb is mostly up to Phpbb in my opinion, but there are less themes, modifications, a smaller community... Vanilla forums only had gamification going for it. That's it. Xenforo is a baby vbulletin that markets itself as responsive when most Phpbb these are, or can be made so if you know your way around css and html.

Tldr; phpbb is the best open source forum software. Period.
PiperB

Post by PiperB »

Well said! :)
thanhliem24
Name: Thanh Bui

Post by thanhliem24 »

I choose phpBB, because it is light weighted, faster, doesn't put much load on server, good security
Terabyte

Post by Terabyte »

Phpbb is very easy to use and modify. Also, it looks clean and simple. I use to use Mybb but switched to Phpbb.
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

We chose PHPBB back in 2004 because the amount of mods that it offered. The customization available at the time was top notch.
Venice

Post by Venice »

That tagging system. Oh man it is so nice!
Venice

Post by Venice »

Oh oh oh! And I sure do love how fast the program runs!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I chose phpBB because it was being used by another forum I used.
JLA wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:38 am We chose PHPBB back in 2004 because the amount of mods that it offered. The customization available at the time was top notch.
The good old days that were only good until you were hacked. :D FIND, ADD AFTER blah, blah blah... It was especially fun before easymod came along, that was the name right?

For you "newbies" one thing to realize is back then even attachments were not out of the box. Bit of trivia, that mod was made by Acyd Burn who went on to be the original lead developer for phpBB 3.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
david63

Post by david63 »

thecoalman wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:05 am FIND, ADD AFTER blah, blah blah... It was especially fun
It also taught you where things were and how they worked in phpBB - most of which is still valid today!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

david63 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:12 am
thecoalman wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:05 am FIND, ADD AFTER blah, blah blah... It was especially fun
It also taught you where things were and how they worked in phpBB - most of which is still valid today!
You are correct sir and it was also my first glimpse of php itself as well. Modding phpBB files provided the foundation for what I know about php.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Venice wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:42 pmThat tagging system
Which "tagging system"?

david63 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:12 amIt also taught you where things were and how they worked in phpBB - most of which is still valid today!
With at least two very big "but"s:
  1. today most things are redirected a dozen of times and you have to check configurations to make sure - with earlier versions things were straight; and
  2. today you might notice that one of the many frameworks should be edited to fix/enhance something, but then you realize this is a bottomless pit - earlier versions did not require non-phpBB software.

Return to “General Discussion”