microsoft uses pirated software

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
danb00

microsoft uses pirated software

Post by danb00 »

Members of a former software-cracking group exposed that Microsoft have used illegally reverse engineered to create some of the content of Windows XP. The files in question are 9 .wav sound files.
The files are located in the "WINDOWS\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Audio\Wav" directory of Windows XP. If these files are opened with a HEX editor the code contains the signature "Deepz0ne", who was a member of former cracking group "Radium"
The signature has been positively identified as "authentic for the cracked version of Sound Forge 4.5".
This all means that there are grounds for a massive copyright-infringement lawsuit for Microsoft.
phpBBModded.com - Modding phpBB

Fubonis

Post by Fubonis »

OLD'D
phpBB, more like idon'tlikeyouorwhatyoupostedsoi'lllockyourtopicandthendeleteitBB m i rite???

quick5pnt0

Post by quick5pnt0 »

That's too funny, beaten at their own game.

yoshi15

Post by yoshi15 »

I guess I should have posted this about 2 weeks ago when I found this out.

Anyway, that means we should use pirate software :P

Anyway, here is the end part when viewed in a HEX editor:
LISTB...INFOICRD....2000-04-06..IENG....Deepz0ne..ISFT....Sound Forge 4.5.
Im not support! Dont PM or email me for questions & answers on phpBB. Im not on the staff in the first place.

Drunky

Post by Drunky »

If this is true, then how do you know that Microsoft did not know that they were using pirated software?

Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

OK, let's put aside the usual anti-Microsoft stuff here for a minute, and look at this rationally.

Does anyone seriously think that a compnay the size of Microsoft would deliberately use illegal software? I would think not. What seems a lot more likely is that they obtained the wav files from some other source (either subcontracted the work or buying rights to use them from a sound collection) and that somewhere down that line they were at some point editing with the hacked software.

Assuming of course that this isn't just some coincidence of bytes in the files ;)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!

pianistsk8er

Post by pianistsk8er »

I think I would rather believe the latter suggestion. I highly doubt that Microsoft, with the owner being the world's richest man, would need to use any hacked software. Furthermore, wouldn't they rather use some kind of Windows Wave Editor, since they hate other companies so much? :P

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

To me it doesnt make sense that its just those 9 wav files that have got evidence of cracked software. So I am going with what has already said and that some sub contractor or something produced the files for microsoft.
Chris SmithGitHub

Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

pianistsk8er wrote: ... the owner being the world's richest man ...

Second richest. ;)

Drunky

Post by Drunky »

Rapid Dr3am wrote:
pianistsk8er wrote:... the owner being the world's richest man ...

Second richest. ;)

No he is the richest.

If Microsoft were really using pirated software they could have just got their own programmers to edit out the thing saying cracked by.

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

I know he is no longer the richest. But I can't be quoted because I'm not sure, but last I heard he was 4th...

NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

SolarFX wrote: I know he is no longer the richest. But I can't be quoted because I'm not sure, but last I heard he was 4th...

Bill Gates is Offically the worlds richest living person.

The richest person ever, however, is John D Rockefeller. Since he is (obviously) no longer alive, Bill Gates is the holder of the previously mentioned record.

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

calebrw

Post by calebrw »

i seriously dought that MSFT would deliberatly use pirated files, i'm going with the subcontractor theory...

although, isn't the basis for the Windows GUI copied from elsewhere, if someone could fill me in, I'd appreciate it...
Caleb Williams
My Photography:
http://blog.calebwilliamsphotography.com

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

calebrw wrote: although, isn't the basis for the Windows GUI copied from elsewhere, if someone could fill me in, I'd appreciate it...

Yes, Xerox research place,
however Mac OS also copied it,

the ideas from Xerox research place were never patented

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

calebrw wrote: i seriously dought that MSFT would deliberatly use pirated files, i'm going with the subcontractor theory...

... which does not absolve them of guilt; a point which they would most certainly make if they were going after someone else for inadvertently using pirated versions of their software.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Return to “General Discussion”