Email is SO 1999

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Graphic
Former Team Member

Post by Graphic »

Ksilebo wrote:
Graphic wrote:I open my AIM about once a week for about an hour. I never text message, I don't even have a cell phone. I e-mail all day at work. At home when I need to talk to someone, I call them.... imagine that. :roll:

The man is still stuck in 1997...

Because I don't care to set around and chat on AIM all day, because I use e-mail at work, and because I would rather talk to someone rather than communicate electronically if I need to then I am stuck in 1997?
What Is Real!?
Latest phpBB2 Styles: [What Is Real!?] [Avalanche]
Ksilebo

Post by Ksilebo »

Graphic wrote:
Ksilebo wrote:
Graphic wrote:I open my AIM about once a week for about an hour. I never text message, I don't even have a cell phone. I e-mail all day at work. At home when I need to talk to someone, I call them.... imagine that. :roll:

The man is still stuck in 1997...

Because I don't care to set around and chat on AIM all day, because I use e-mail at work, and because I would rather talk to someone rather than communicate electronically if I need to then I am stuck in 1997?

Yes.

Partially. The lack of a cell phone is odd, but not uncommon. I don't sit around all day on AIM (although it ends up happening too often) but that doesn't mean never using it. It sure saves a hell of a lot of money for me.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

E-mail is a superior form of communication except for the SPAM problem, which I wish governments would address by simply criminalizing the act and going after spammers, many of whom could be easily located and prosecuted (but they won't, because corporations want to retain the ability to spam :x ).

Anyway, E-mail allows properly written, well thought-out communications for various reasons (not least of which is the fact that you can take your time composing a reply), while IM clients are for idle, superficial chit-chat.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
Graphic
Former Team Member

Post by Graphic »

Ksilebo wrote: Yes.

Partially. The lack of a cell phone is odd, but not uncommon. I don't sit around all day on AIM (although it ends up happening too often) but that doesn't mean never using it. It sure saves a hell of a lot of money for me.

My wife teachers middle school and her students have this exact same mentality.

You will grow out of it.

When I am on the computer I might (depending on if I want to be bothered) turn on IM on to see if any friends are on, but I don’t rely on it as my main means of communication. If I want to talk to my dad, I would rather call him. I can’t imagine how that is “1997”.

I would also like to point out that if I need a cell phone I can use my wife’s. Paying $40 a month for something I don't need must be "in this year". You will also learn about responsibility when you grow up.
What Is Real!?
Latest phpBB2 Styles: [What Is Real!?] [Avalanche]
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Okay, ladies, let's leave out the personal tone of this discussion. ;)
Ta.
deverhart

Post by deverhart »

I personally have to be connected 24 hours a day or I go nuts.... I do despise email because while I can check it on my cell I dont like to... I do most of my communicating via sms or aim at any given time.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

you get email in your cell?
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

TC wrote: you get email in your cell?

You can, yeah. Depends on the network though; I can only use big names like hotmail etc or the network's own email system.
FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

Draegonis wrote:
TC wrote:you get email in your cell?

You can, yeah. Depends on the network though; I can only use big names like hotmail etc or the network's own email system.
You could have your POP3 account(assuming you have control over teh account) to fwd a copy to your cell's hotmail addy.

<3
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

FF8Jake` wrote: You could have your POP3 account(assuming you have control over teh account) to fwd a copy to your cell's hotmail addy.

<3

Damn, that's an idea and a half actually. :mrgreen:
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

weird... i'm lucky if i get magazines once a week or get out to the yard one hour a day....
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
Muas

Post by Muas »

I guess I'm part of the crowd that neither uses email or IM/txt messaging. Instead...I have phpBB. :mrgreen:

A personal forum for family, friends, and acquintances. ^.^
Ksilebo

Post by Ksilebo »

Draegonis wrote:
FF8Jake` wrote:You could have your POP3 account(assuming you have control over teh account) to fwd a copy to your cell's hotmail addy.

<3

Or your phone can be a Treo 650 and you have a POP3/IMAP client installed.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Jah, I kinda lack the second mortgage to afford one of those - don't even know if UK phone networks have them right enough.
Don't care enough either tbh. :D
FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

Ksilebo wrote:
Draegonis wrote:
FF8Jake` wrote:You could have your POP3 account(assuming you have control over teh account) to fwd a copy to your cell's hotmail addy.

<3

Or your phone can be a Treo 650 and you have a POP3/IMAP client installed.
E-Mail isn't worth the price of that monster of your's. ^_^

However, the bigger screen would be awesome for IRC usage...

/me still needs to get APN settings fix0red on Samsung x427 for jmirc to work...
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

Return to “General Discussion”