Email is SO 1999

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Hmm, I've got the Samsing E700. I wonder how much use that is for IRC. I want to follow in the footsteps of the great a16 and end up walking into a van after walking down the street IRCing from my phone whilst drunk.

:mrgreen:

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

Draegonis wrote: Hmm, I've got the Samsing E700. I wonder how much use that is for IRC. I want to follow in the footsteps of the great a16 and end up walking into a van after walking down the street IRCing from my phone whilst drunk.

:mrgreen:
http://jmirc.sourceforge.net/ is a decent little IRC app for the phone from what i've seen, and it's the smallest i've come across. Your phone needs to support java midlets(aka, usual phone games you can download :wink: ). You may need to configure your net settings differently also, or setup an http proxy for it to work, which i'm sure you probably have the tools for.

I also just remembered that gmail has free email forwarding for those of you who would like to have email sent to your phone's stupid address(13092091309@coldmail.biz.us.org) but don't have POP3 accounts. :)
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

shaine

Post by shaine »

im on aim 24/7.
im on multiple irc servers 24/7.
im on msnm once a milenium.
i used to have a cell, used it alot when i had it. used aim on it also.
i rarely send emails, get alot though.
i talk to people on irc more then anything, aim behind that.
Shaine

Jon Reid

Post by Jon Reid »

I have a brick of a mobile on the UK network 3 and I can send free emails fromt hat, wihch is pretty cool. But texting is huge here, indeed... I try to avoid it myself, I hate Mobile phones as it is. Anyway I need to talk to is usually availiable on IM, though of course I still use email to contact people when they're not online as one would expect.

It's pretty big at uni, tutors emailing us and such.
Administrator of Star Trek Online || Moderator of The Admin Zone

Darklorden

Post by Darklorden »

To pitch in at the original idea that emails are so obsolete I must say that it surely seems like it. I am one of the "old timers" who liked to sit with a messenger open aswell as the email loaded. Back in 1999 I got about as many emails as IM's. Today...I can send out emails and only about 10% of those gets a reply which usually is like "Can't you get on the Messenger, please".

My forum serves mostly american people aged 15 to 25 and they simply just don't like the slow pace that emails brings to any communication. "Either you have something to say now or it's not important", seems to be the motto of today.

With businesses it is the totally opposite: "Alright can you please send me an email with the details you just said". Or even more horrific is that some companies wants SNAIL MAIL 8O . Yes, I do understand why a company would want it in an email or even paper mail...so they can sit relaxed and ponder whatever the mail is about. Over the phone or in a IM you have to make a decision fast or it'll look bad on your behalf.
~Rob~

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I'm using Skype nowadays, I prefer it to IM systems. MSN drives me nuts sometimes. :lol:

Drunky

Post by Drunky »

Darklorden wrote: To pitch in at the original idea that emails are so obsolete I must say that it surely seems like it. I am one of the "old timers" who liked to sit with a messenger open aswell as the email loaded. Back in 1999 I got about as many emails as IM's. Today...I can send out emails and only about 10% of those gets a reply which usually is like "Can't you get on the Messenger, please".

That is so true. I hardly use my email anymore except for when somebody refuses to get any kind of IM program. Or if somebody contacts me and they don't know my AIM info.

I usually contact my friends on my forum in PM saying get on AIM. :lol:

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Until you can picture a CEO saying "let's chat on IM", E-mail will continue to be the premiere form of communication on the Internet. The fact that social butterflies prefer IM is of little importance compared to the fact that IMPORTANT communications are done via E-mail if they are conducted on the Internet at all.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

mannythehamster

Post by mannythehamster »

I think that txt msg and fashion are more to do with it.

<grandad>When I were a lad, we used to spend all our time on computers.</grandad>

Nowadays you're a geek if you go on a computer too much.

That, plus kids having phones from about 5 years old kinda make emails obselete to them. I use mine occasionally. Not as much as I use MSNM, that's because I'm just an oppurtunistic chatter, I rarely go out of my way to contact someone that I can't just have a conversation with right away.

And Darth, "internet conferencing" (sp?) can be done via MSN messenger. Especially if there's only two groups (i.e. PCs). It's usually with a mic and somethimes webcam though.
Free music gear picture uploads.

Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

mannythehamster wrote: And Darth, "internet conferencing" (sp?) can be done via MSN messenger

Emphasis mine. I think we all know this fact. However, the majority of online business communication is not currently conducted in this fashion. Read over what DW said again, a little closer this time. ;)

mannythehamster

Draegonis wrote: Emphasis mine. I think we all know this fact. However, the majority of online business communication is not currently conducted in this fashion. Read over what DW said again, a little closer this time. ;)

I know it's unlikely but it probably does happen. (God knows there are people stupid enough out there.)

Darth just made it sound like it was impossible. I was saying it is possible (that's why I wrote "can", I just didn't highlight it). :)

Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

I think, to me at the very least, that it was quite clear that DW was noting the improbability of it, not the impossibility.

Furthermore, in your quote of me you impled that I said that no-one used IM solution in a business context. Read closer: I specifically said that the majority do not. This does not mean everyone. ;)

mannythehamster

Draegonis wrote: I think, to me at the very least, that it was quite clear that DW was noting the improbability of it, not the impossibility.

Ahh, I must've interpretted it differently.
Draegonis wrote: Furthermore, in your quote of me you impled that I said that no-one used IM solution in a business context. Read closer: I specifically said that the majority do not. This does not mean everyone. ;)

I wasn't implying anything about what you said, I was just agreeing in my own words. :)

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Darth Wong wrote: ... E-mail allows properly written, well thought-out communications for various reasons (not least of which is the fact that you can take your time composing a reply), while IM clients are for idle, superficial chit-chat.

So perhaps the popularity of IM is due to the fact that a lot of people have opted for superficial chit-chat. Even BBSs are used this way more and more, judging by the fact that the (very brief, abbreviation-filled) post content is often difficult to find amongst the very busy (and large) avatars and signatures.

But being so old, I'm in awe of the personal importance of the instant communication revolution. Today I watched a young lady stand at a gas pump with her cell phone faithfully to her ear, despite the clear warnings on the pump that she was running a risk (however slight) of blowing up herself and those of us in her immediate vicinity. Now that's dedication.
We should talk less, and say more.

Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

SamG wrote: Now that's dedication.

You're too kind. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”