OMG Kosher slaughterhouse and cruelty to animals

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
lifesavvy
I've Been Banned!

OMG Kosher slaughterhouse and cruelty to animals

Post by lifesavvy »

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centreda ... 311025.htm

the video is available on PETA's website
FF8Jake`

Re: OMG Kosher slaughterhouse and cruelty to animals

Post by FF8Jake` »

Save the poor animals... those poor creatures. :cry:

brb, my spotted owl tacos are done.
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

I hate peta.
SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

lifesavvy wrote: http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centreda ... 311025.htm

FUD isn't tolerated here, and it helps if you actually rad the article before posting:
Thomas said the PETA tape is misleading and was obtained under dubious circumstances by someone with a political agenda. He disputed claims that the trachea are yanked from steers, saying to do so would violate kosher laws.

Steve Steiner, spokesman for the Orthodox Union, said his group is reviewing the 30-minute videotape. "We believe shechita, the Hebrew form of slaughter, is a humane form of slaughter," he said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher
Jewish law states that kosher mammals and birds must be slaughtered according to a strict set of guidelines, the slaughter (shechita) (שחיטה) being designed to minimize the pain inflicted. This necessarily eliminates the practice of hunting wild game for food, unless it can be captured alive and ritually slaughtered.

A professional slaughterer, or shochet (שוחט), using a large razor-sharp knife with absolutely no irregularities, nicks or dents, makes a single cut across the throat to a precise depth, severing both carotid arteries, both jugular veins, both Vagus nerves, the trachea and the esophagus, no higher than the epiglottis and no lower than where cilia begin inside the trachea, causing instantaneous loss of blood flow to the brain and death in a few seconds. Any variation from this exact procedure could cause unnecessary suffering; therefore, if the knife catches even for a split second or is found afterward to have developed any irregularities, or the depth of cut is too deep or shallow, the carcass is not kosher (nevelah) and is sold as regular meat to the general public.

Rules are much the same as Halal, so Muslim communities would usually be OK with Koscher meat too.

It may not look pretty, but given that most people in urban areas hardly know where their food comes from... guess not much could be expected from them.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

That's the goal; it does not logically follow that this must be the practice. If the cut is not made deeply enough, or the blade not sharp enough, it is entirely possible for these animals to be thrashing around for an extended period of time while they slowly choke to death on their own blood.

Or are we now assuming that it's impossible for businesses to be sloppy, lazy, or incompetent?
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

I prefer to believe that the meat I eat (loves my meat) grows on a magical meat tree. Please do not destroy this illusion.
Heimidal
Former Team Member

Post by Heimidal »

dhn wrote: I prefer to believe that the meat I eat (loves my meat) grows on a magical meat tree. Please do not destroy this illusion.

Wha? Wait.. that means that it doesn't? 8O

This is worse than that time my mom said Santa wasn't real. Luckily, Tim Allen's Santa Clause assured me she was wrong.
lifesavvy
I've Been Banned!

Post by lifesavvy »

SHS` wrote:
lifesavvy wrote:http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centreda ... 311025.htm

FUD isn't tolerated here, and it helps if you actually rad the article before posting:
Thomas said the PETA tape is misleading and was obtained under dubious circumstances by someone with a political agenda. He disputed claims that the trachea are yanked from steers, saying to do so would violate kosher laws.

Steve Steiner, spokesman for the Orthodox Union, said his group is reviewing the 30-minute videotape. "We believe shechita, the Hebrew form of slaughter, is a humane form of slaughter," he said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher
Jewish law states that kosher mammals and birds must be slaughtered according to a strict set of guidelines, the slaughter (shechita) (שחיטה) being designed to minimize the pain inflicted. This necessarily eliminates the practice of hunting wild game for food, unless it can be captured alive and ritually slaughtered.

A professional slaughterer, or shochet (שוחט), using a large razor-sharp knife with absolutely no irregularities, nicks or dents, makes a single cut across the throat to a precise depth, severing both carotid arteries, both jugular veins, both Vagus nerves, the trachea and the esophagus, no higher than the epiglottis and no lower than where cilia begin inside the trachea, causing instantaneous loss of blood flow to the brain and death in a few seconds. Any variation from this exact procedure could cause unnecessary suffering; therefore, if the knife catches even for a split second or is found afterward to have developed any irregularities, or the depth of cut is too deep or shallow, the carcass is not kosher (nevelah) and is sold as regular meat to the general public.

Rules are much the same as Halal, so Muslim communities would usually be OK with Koscher meat too.

It may not look pretty, but given that most people in urban areas hardly know where their food comes from... guess not much could be expected from them.

I know what kosher and what Halal meat is. I think the most humane method to slaughter a cow is to slit the throat. But you didn't seem to care what PETA is saying. Why are you trying to partonize the meat industry? Did you the video ? Did you see much aniamls suffer after they are slaughtered? Think for yourself for once.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

lifesavvy wrote: I know what kosher and what Halal meat is. I think the most humane method to slaughter a cow is to slit the throat. But you didn't seem to care what PETA is saying. Why are you trying to partonize the meat industry? Did you the video ? Did you see much aniamls suffer after they are slaughtered? Think for yourself for once.

A little respect goes a long way, especially when talking to staff -> http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/rules.php#rule1b
Kindly tone it down a bit. Thanks. ;)
Jon Reid

Post by Jon Reid »

Yum, I fancy a sausage and bacon sarnie!

I used to live near an abotoir- now that was an experience.
Administrator of Star Trek Online || Moderator of The Admin Zone
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

dhn wrote: I prefer to believe that the meat I eat (loves my meat) grows on a magical meat tree. Please do not destroy this illusion.

That's stupid. Everyone knows meat grows in BUSHES. Next you'll be claiming Banana trees.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!
Drunky

Post by Drunky »

Kazer0 wrote:
dhn wrote:I prefer to believe that the meat I eat (loves my meat) grows on a magical meat tree. Please do not destroy this illusion.

That's stupid. Everyone knows meat grows in BUSHES. Next you'll be claiming Banana trees.

And I thought meat grows out of the ground. Thanks for ruining it for me. :(
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Carrot juice is murder.
super fun rainbow colour sig
David Robinson

Post by David Robinson »

Let us not forget what PETA really means. People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.
lifesavvy
I've Been Banned!

Post by lifesavvy »

David Robinson wrote: Let us not forget what PETA really means. People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

poeple eating tasty animals you twit...at least spoof it right

Return to “General Discussion”