MSN search is now the best search solution?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

They can have my Google when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

no thanks. google works fine
prince_of_oreon

Post by prince_of_oreon »

FF8Jake` wrote: You mean there's another search engine besides google?

Not 'besides', 'below' is more accurate. I've tried the new MSN and quite frankly have been more impressed with AlltehWeb's search ability.
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

google over msn anyday.. i think msnbot is the deciding factor :x
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

Well, while google indexed my newly updated website already two days ago, I just tried msn search and it still has the old temp page indexed.

Google 1 : 0 MSN
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

wow msn comes up with my site if you put Shaded Art. It only come up on google if you enter shadedart. awsome. I will still use google.
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Darth Wong wrote: They can have my Google when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Stop that, you're getting me all excited.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
pianistsk8er

Post by pianistsk8er »

MSN take over Google?

Now there's an ironic idea. ;)
Khurram

Post by Khurram »

Here's something funny and interesting:

If you do a search for "search engine" in google.. you see google.com listed low in the list.. below lycos, altavista and yahoo !

And if you do a search for "search engine" in msn.. you dont see any search engine in the listing among the top ten listings..

i know i was bored but still a funny fact to me atleast :roll:
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Was that a justified reason for bumping a two year old topic?
Systems Engineering
Khurram

Post by Khurram »

1. it wasnt locked
2. technology has advanced a lot in the last two years, particularly the way search engines work and optmize results
3. i find it better to keep things organized and related in one area than having many threads of same topic
4. this isnt problem discussion, its general discussion, so anything posted here does not require immediate response from the support i guess as its not asking any question, and lastly,
5. would be relevant to hear current thoughts and updates on the topic, particularly the way both SE have evolved over the last two years..

hope you got the reasons ?
NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

Khurram wrote: 1. it wasnt locked
2. technology has advanced a lot in the last two years, particularly the way search engines work and optmize results
3. i find it better to keep things organized and related in one area than having many threads of same topic
4. this isnt problem discussion, its general discussion, so anything posted here does not require immediate response from the support i guess as its not asking any question, and lastly,
5. would be relevant to hear current thoughts and updates on the topic, particularly the way both SE have evolved over the last two years..

hope you got the reasons ?
  1. Does a topic have to be locked for people to know that discussion shouldn't continue? Topics die once the relevent info has been said. Its general netiquette on forums not to bump old topics.
  2. Of course they have. But what you posted wasn't really continuing the discussion, more of making a small but non-disucssion related point.
  3. Granted, being organised is great, but what prevents you from starting a new topic with a new discussion about how things have changed from the previous disucssion, and give a link to the old one?
  4. Although this is General Discussion, the word Discussion is the key point. What is there to discuss about what appears when you type in 'search engine' into search engines?
  5. Then if you want to discuss that, start a new topic about how they have evolved over two years rather than bumping a two year old topic.
We have reason, its called netiquette. My suggestion is to hold off posting to see how netiquette applies here before you find yourself in trouble later on.

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

ask and ye shall receive - locked.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Return to “General Discussion”