Pro or not sitemap?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Pro or not sitemap?

Post by HiFiKabin »

If you decide to use a sitemap, you need one specifically for phpBB This one is in the CDB https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... o_sitemap/

It is not a necessity as Google etc cope well with the forum structure and generally index without any problem.
mrgoldy
Former Team Member
Name: Gijs

Post by mrgoldy »

That's completely up to you and your preferences/site.
If you're just using a forum with phpBB, you might want to use the phpbb focussed one.
However, if you also have an entire site around it, it's debatable.
Also if you've already submitted your sitemap for a while, I don't think it's smart changing it, but I am not an expert on sitemaps.

The CDB is Customization Database. A database of extensions for phpBB which have been validated by their Extensions team, which means the code is solid.
Customization Database
phpBB Extensions
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

If you have a fixed Sitemap is is probably not doing too much for your forum. I would delete both it and the indexing link on Google to prevent errors.

You don't NEED a sitemap, but if you want to use one the link I gave previously will suite you perfectly
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Site maps are generally for sites with static data, to update it you need to edit it. For sites with dynamic data such as bulletin boards you need a dynamic site map and, I presume, the one James mentioned is dynamic to suit phpBB?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

dansk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 pm<snop> it's good to have a sitemap </snip>
It might be good to have a sitemap, but it is not NEEDED. Google is a lot cleverer than most people realise, and will index your forum without any problem.

As both Mick and I have stated, if you want a sitemap you the one I linked to previously is what you want to use. The static one you have already may be doing more harm than good. Delete it and use the one thats made for the purpose.
mrgoldy
Former Team Member
Name: Gijs

Post by mrgoldy »

They are trying to help you.
You make a (rather unclear) enquiry and they provide you with an answer, in their spare time. So yeah, it might be possible that they don't instantly respond to a topic in General Discussion...

You have to download the SEO Sitemap Extension and place it in your Extensions folder as: root/ext/shredder/sitemap/readme.md
Then in your Administration Control Panel (ACP) under Customise enable the "phpBB3 SEO Sitemap" extension.

Helpful links:
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

dansk wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pmNo one knows how to make it work? First they say it's this one you'll use then so when you ask they do not answer.
Extension support is via the author in the dedicated discussion/support area for the extension, here in this case.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “General Discussion”