What's the best way to donate to the phpbb team?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
WWu777

What's the best way to donate to the phpbb team?

Post by WWu777 »

I'm not sure where to post this, but I was wondering. What's the best way to donate to the phpbb support and development team?

If I donate to the PayPal button on this site, will it go to the website owner or be pooled and shared evenly among every member of the support and development team?

Or is it better to donate to individual support staff using the donation link in their signature?

Thanks.
Elias
Name: Elias

Re: What's the best way to donate to the phpbb team?

Post by Elias »

PhpBB.com does not accept donations, of what I understood last time someone asked.

Which PayPal button are you talking about?

Nothing wrong sending a donation if it’s specified in the user’s signature.

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

We don't accept donations. However we are hosted(site) by the Oregon State University Open Source Lab, so any donation to them would be nice. It's our usual suggestion for where to donate to help us.

Link to their donation page:
http://osuosl.org/donate/
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Elias wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:50 am PhpBB.com does not accept donations, of what I understood last time someone asked.

Thanks
I thought I saw a donation page before. Maybe it's that page that asks if you want to buy a stuffed teddy bear called Bertie? I thought that teddy bear was sent out in exchange for a donation. Some of the support staff do have donation buttons in their signatures though.

So if this site is hosted and run by Oregon State University, does that mean that the support staff here are students at the university and doing all this thing to get credit toward a degree in computer science or something?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

WWu777 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 am ...
So if this site is hosted and run by Oregon State University, does that mean that the support staff here are students at the university and doing all this thing to get credit toward a degree in computer science or something?
Check the signatures of the "Staff", perhaps google a bit here and there, look at nationalities/locations, think about time-zones and credit yourself with finding the answer to your question :P
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

WWu777 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 am
Elias wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:50 am PhpBB.com does not accept donations, of what I understood last time someone asked.

Thanks
I thought I saw a donation page before. Maybe it's that page that asks if you want to buy a stuffed teddy bear called Bertie? I thought that teddy bear was sent out in exchange for a donation. Some of the support staff do have donation buttons in their signatures though.

No OSUOL is a non-profit ran by OSU. It's purpose is to foster Open Source Software(see their about page, link below). One way to do that is by hosting various projects. None of our team members are students at OSU. We have team members from all over the world (See team map link below). They work in all sorts of jobs, some related to programming and some not at all. Things like lawyers, sound engineer(think movies, etc), students(various countries/ majors), some in IT, some programmers for companies, and some free lance programmers. Team members work on the project, whether that's the programming side or the support or board management side, because we like doing so. As much as most boards out in the world are hobbiest boards run by hobbiest, so is the case for the phpBB teams. Not all people who supply support on this board are team members. You can tell official team members by their ICONNED ranks, ie like my Community Team rank. Only ranks with ICONS are actual project teams members. We do have some recognition based text only ranks.

http://osuosl.org/about/

http://www.phpbb.com/about/map/
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
Sistineko
Name: Sistine Fibel

Post by Sistineko »

If you know PHP, contributing to the software is probably considered as donating in a way. ^_^
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

But what about the old adage: "There's no free lunch"? We were always told that there is no getting something for nothing. The law of karma says so too. The universe has a balancing mechanism.

That adage doesn't apply here? So phpbb is an exception to that adage?

So the support team and developer team here derive pleasure from creating this forum platform, like a painter gets pleasure from painting? Wow. So this is a form of creative art then?
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

I think there are plenty of motivations for the people giving support here:
Some are running a phpBB-board for years and want to give back some of the help they got when they started their board
Some using their qualified help to attract customers for paid work, eg. creating special styles or extensions or help in running boards
Some like to (virtually) meet people from all over the world sharing same interests
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Why do people volunteer for anything? Coaching youth sports teams? Hospital Visiting? Charity Collections?

1) Because they WANT TO

2) Because they want to contribute to the wider community

3) Because it gives them pleasure.

There is more to life than money
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

WWu777 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 amSo the support team and developer team here derive pleasure from creating this forum platform, like a painter gets pleasure from painting? Wow. So this is a form of creative art then?
You're damn right!!
WWu777 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 amBut what about the old adage: "There's no free lunch"?
Maybe it's a hobby, people walk homeless dogs for free because they like exercise.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Money is a universal motivator. There are hundreds of open issues in the tracker and if users were able (and encouraged) to spend money to get them fixed, that number would go down much faster than just waiting for someone with the expertise, time and motivation to do so.

There's a website called BountySource that purportedly does that for open source projects. I only know it by name so I don't know how well it works. Regardless, it's sad to see someone care enough about something to want to spend money on it (and get nothing in return) and not be able to.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
Maks33

Post by Maks33 »

Is what's said in this topic still true? Or new information? I would like to do my part and help phpbb team
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

Yes, the answer below is still true. You can also contribute various other ways (submitting pull requests for example).
bonelifer wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:21 pm We don't accept donations. However we are hosted(site) by the Oregon State University Open Source Lab, so any donation to them would be nice. It's our usual suggestion for where to donate to help us.

Link to their donation page:
http://osuosl.org/donate/
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
Marek Muc

Post by Marek Muc »

JoshyPHP wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:26 pm Money is a universal motivator. There are hundreds of open issues in the tracker and if users were able (and encouraged) to spend money to get them fixed, that number would go down much faster than just waiting for someone with the expertise, time and motivation to do so.
This idea sounds interesting to me, but instead of looking at external websites for paid coding, do you think it is possible to use the "Wanted!" forum on this board? I mean, each user that wants to contribute to phpBB, but doesn't know how to code, can pay someone for solving one issue in the tracker. Does this sound right to you?

EDIT: I mean, by receiving payment from a supportive phpBB user, some coder can do paid work for the benefit of phpBB instead of doing paid work for someone else

Return to “General Discussion”