How to use phpBB as a data model to learn and master php

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
MGadAllah
Name: Mohamed GadAllah

How to use phpBB as a data model to learn and master php

Post by MGadAllah »

Lately I was deeply involved into several php projects and I've never thought that programming is such a fun.
So I was thinking about phpBB, so what would be the strategies to analyze phpBB in order to know more about php?
Let's say I want to know what was the scenario the founder followed ...etc
I do not want to reinvent the wheel and also do not want to develop a forum software, but just want to gain a solid foundation for php.
Thanks
david63

Re: How to use phpBB as a data model to learn and master php

Post by david63 »

MGadAllah wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:01 am Let's say I want to know what was the scenario the founder followed ...etc
Cannot answer that but so much has changed both with PHP and phpBB since that time that it would probably be irrelevant today.
One way to learn both PHP and how it is deployed in phpBB is to create extensions. There are many on here who have learnt their skills that way, and previously writing, and installing, MODs (which I think was actually a better learning curve).

Play with it use it and remember that Google will always be your friend.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

david63 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:08 amlearn PHP and how it is deployed in phpBB.
Thanks a lot for better phrasing what I am exactly want to say.
What I've done so far was to extract all pages of the phpBB and started to read each page and search for items mentioned i that page among other files but I found that I am like lost with no plan and no destination to go for, and that was the reason for posting here.
Regarding your advise to start with MODs and Styles ... should I dive in my own and use google and that is it? or there are some prerequisites that needed to be done first?
The reason for the last question is that during these last project I was just do very small things according to a read me file I've found many developer keep saying to check and review code and things among syntax to do not consume a lot of resources and keep it to minimal as possible.
Because I used to install a lot of MODs for different forum software and I've never thought to do any MODs in my own I thought to ask here.
david63

Post by david63 »

Like most things in life you need to walk before you can run.

Just try doing small things and build from there. Try things for yourself, yes you will get them wrong (we all do), yes you will get frustrated when it does not do what you want (remember a program does what it is told which is not always the same as the programmer wants it to do) or gives you errors - this is where Google comes in, I very rarely find that someone else has not already had the issue.

A good PHP editor will also help with highlighting syntax errors.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

david63 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:27 am(remember a program does what it is told which is not always the same as the programmer wants it to do) or gives you errors
One of the things I've learned the hard way.
david63 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:27 amA good PHP editor will also help with highlighting syntax errors.
Does notepad++ fits?

Also regarding check if code consume server resources or not? how to check that during writing the code?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Yes notepad++ is the business. Have you trawled the web there are myriad sites that deal with PHP with examples not to mention PHP.net?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Lotts

Post by Lotts »

As david63 said: create extensions. I'm a beginner in PHP and phpBB and I knew only C # (basic too). Me and my friend we're making a RPG forum and I'm the programmer, so two weeks ago I was learning the PHP syntax and now I'm making extensions. To me two weeks were enough just to learn how phpBB works with extensions and, of course, still there are many things to learn. But I can tell how I improved in just two weeks just making extensions and I'm so glad. So I think the best way to learn is making extensions because you'll apply your knowlegde and help the community if you share it.

About PHP editor I think PHPStorm is very nice (just forget my opinion if you can't get it free, but if you wanna buy it, just do it xD).
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Lotts wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:33 amAs david63 said: create extensions.
Thanks to you and to david63 as well. I do not know why I never thought about that! I like phpBB forum as a software and I like the staff being very helpful and friendly as well, and I never asked for any help and found nothing, so thanks for lighting this up :)
Lotts wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:33 am I'm a beginner in PHP and phpBB and I knew only C # (basic too). Me and my friend we're making a RPG forum and I'm the programmer, so two weeks ago I was learning the PHP syntax and now I'm making extensions. To me two weeks were enough just to learn how phpBB works with extensions and, of course, still there are many things to learn. But I can tell how I improved in just two weeks just making extensions and I'm so glad. So I think the best way to learn is making extensions because you'll apply your knowledge and help the community if you share it.
What is the RPG because google only resulted a vb forum.
I am really very glad and happy for you because I know this feeling and please do not do my mistake and do not stop my friend.
Sometimes because of a lot of ideas in my head to accomplish I found it seems that I will make a whole new forum software but I rethink and say to do not reinvent the wheels and make the best use of what we had already got and make use of that time to improve it.
Lotts wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:33 amAbout PHP editor I think PHPStorm is very nice (just forget my opinion if you can't get it free, but if you wanna buy it, just do it xD).
My educational email ".edu" make it for free for all JetBrain products :)
But from your experience using phpstorm, was it good that it help you complete the code instead of using something like notepad++ that force you to remember everything need to be added?
david63

Post by david63 »

MGadAllah wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:18 am What is the RPG
Probably Role Playing Game
MGadAllah wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:18 am But from your experience using phpstorm, was it good that it help you complete the code instead of using something like notepad++ that force you to remember everything need to be added?
phpstorm is quite a steep learning curve in itself so I would suggest, at least to start with, something easier. Making mistakes and learning how to correct them is another part of the learning curve and in the long term having a good grounding of the basics will always be to your advantage.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Exactly.
PhpStorm is a hell of a mountain to climb also for phpBB/PHP experts I can say. I am on it.

As per David, start with something simpler.
Example, take a simple extension request from the forum and start going ahead with it.
Lotts

Post by Lotts »

MGadAllah wrote:What is RPG
Here in Brazil is very common to play games using forum, always based on animes, series or movies. I'm doing an anime-based forum and I need to create systems that are interactive and look like an RPG game. So I'm doing it through extensions.

About PHPStorm I really like it because I just use the basic and right now I'm making just extension, so far I don't have any issue. The complete code feature I think it helps and it doesn't bother me at all to remember things later. But, of course, it's a personal question.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Just found this link by chance and it helped me a lot so I thought to share it.
Using PhpStorm With phpBB
-later edit-
Please, regarding security knowledge during learning, what is the thing I need to keep in mind all the time to make code secured as possible?
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

All questions based on this topic can be answered by uncle Google (programming, clean code, security, data validation and so on and on)) The question about security is one of those. Example answer to that question is user data input validation, but of course there's more.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

GanstaZ wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:03 amAll questions based on this topic can be answered by uncle Google
I could not agree more my friend :ugeek:
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

MGadAllah wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:20 am what is the thing I need to keep in mind all the time to make code secured as possible?
Validating user input and the number one rule for that is test for what is expected. e.g. If you expect an integer you don't test for exploits, you test to see if it's an integer.

There is lot of forums around people will offer you advice on programming, post your code and ask them what if anything is wrong with it.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Discussion”