Google AdSense after 25 May 2018

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
tojag
Name: Gregory

Google AdSense after 25 May 2018

Post by tojag »

Today I received an e-mail from Google about changing in Google ads technology after GDPR started. In this e-mail are some links to explanation what Google will do after GDPR started and what Google AdSense partner should do in order to display personalized or nonpersonalized ads.
* List of ads providers
* How to enable/disable personalized/non-personalized ads for your AdSense account
* Ads personalization settings in Google’s publisher ad tags

I have read it and think that at now I should display only nonpersonalized ads as a more safely and easy for me.
Google is writing something about additional windows to getting permission for personalized ads.
Set up consent gathering
You can create your own consent dialog that displays a message on your site(s) asking your users in the EEA for consent.
I'm in shock! One window for cookies, another for ads, maybe another one? :shock:
I still have to carefully analyze the third link, because I do not understand how to get the consent of individual users for personalized advertising.
The Internet is becoming more and more difficult. :(

What do You think about it?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Google AdSense after 25 May 2018

Post by KevC »

From what I can see, if you choose non-personalised ads, everything stays as it was before. That's it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
tojag

Post by tojag »

That's why I wrote that I would turn off personalized. I can not imagine these additional windows to obtain consent.
Unfortunately, this may reduce earnings. I just checked that I have about 60% of my earnings from personalized ads. I just turned off the personalization to test how it will affect my earnings. I will check after a few days. If it affects very much, then it will think how to get these consents. I hope, however, that some of my earnings will go to non-personalized advertising. In this case, I will only need to keep information about the cookies created by Google and its partners. It can also add information about the list of entities that can place cookies, that is, indicate in the privacy policy a list of Google partners.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I never bother looking too much in to the ad revenue. It pays for my server costs and gives me a little bit left over. That's all I need.

Non-personalised ads are content related instead so they should still be relevant to a certain extent. Seems ok to me. I'm not that bothered by GDPR though to be honest.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
tojag

Post by tojag »

We'll see. Maybe it will not be so bad. In any case, what I gave came from my statistics, an average of 60% of earnings from personalized ads.
Regards
tojag

Post by tojag »

I asked here https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/192701 is it possibility to control personalized and non-personalized ads by this extension.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

tojag wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:26 pmThe Internet is becoming more and more difficult
Probably because people are panicking or being panicked over GDPR.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
tojag

Post by tojag »

OK. I've resolved problem by using cookie for everyone website user, not only for registered.
First read this Ads personalization settings in Google’s publisher ad tags
I someone have a problem with implementation, I can help.
ivanc

Post by ivanc »

tojag wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:13 am I someone have a problem with implementation, I can help.
Hi @tojag
Pleease if you can help me?
tojag wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:10 am For non-personalized you can use this
(adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle || []).requestNonPersonalizedAds=1;
before method push ads.
For personalized you can use this
(adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle || []).requestNonPersonalizedAds=0;

Since this is not about phpBB but Google ads, please write here.
I will try to help.
ivanc wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:20 am Hi @tojag
Thank you for your warning and advice. (i appreciate it).
In my forum, AdSense is dimmed until a visitor clicks on one of the buttons.
Since I am not an expert in administering AdSense, can you give me step-by-step instructions please?
What, where and how?
Is it allowed to modify the AdSense source code? Does this violate Google's policy?
tojag

Post by tojag »

Ok. I am not web programmer but it is easy. If you created your conset popup, you should cope with it.

1. Send request non-personalized ads when page is starting.
2. Read personalized conset cookie.
3. If conset is, reload page with request personalized ads. End. If you use .js, you can use 'location.reload()'.
4. If conset is not, display your popup window for getting conset for personalized ads.
5. Accept button shoulds save conset cookie for personalized ads and reload page.
6. Reject button only hide your popup window. You still display non-personalized ads.

In your adsense code look for 'push[]' and paste switch for personalized or non-personalized ads before line with 'push[]'.
As I wrote for non-personalized ads you should send: (adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle || []).requestNonPersonalizedAds=1;
before method push ads. For personalized you should send this: (adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle || []).requestNonPersonalizedAds=0;

Yes, you can modifing adsense code in this area becouse it is method recomended by google.
This is first method. You can use second method with using 'PauseAtRequest' tag.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Surely if you've already set your ad delivery for your adsense account to non-personalised, none of that matters.
tojag

Post by tojag »

Yes, only the earnings for such ads are low.
The question is, what we have to do for display personalized ads in according to law and Google rules.
I do this and want to help others but of course you can close this topic with your solution - turn off personalized ads on AdSense account. :D
Thanks.
ivanc

Post by ivanc »

Hi @toyag
Thanks for the answer.
If I understood you well.

Find this two lines of code
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>
Replace with this lines of code
adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle || []).requestNonPersonalizedAds=1;
</script>
Is this correct?
Will my phpBB forum work properly with this changes?
tojag

Post by tojag »

ivanc wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:50 pm Replace with this lines of code
adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle || []).requestNonPersonalizedAds=1;
</script>
Is this correct?
Will my phpBB forum work properly with this changes?
Yes, forum will works properly :)
But try to do something like this:

var gdpr = getCookie("cookie_pers_ads");
if (gdpr == 'yes')
{
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).requestNonPersonalizedAds=0; //personalized ads
}
else
{
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).requestNonPersonalizedAds=1; //non-personalized ads
}

This code display ads after read cookie status. When will no cookie, you will waiting for consent from your popup. In this time non-personalized ads will be displayed. After gets consent, write it to cookie_pers_ads and call location.reload(); it reload page, read consent from cookie and display personalized ads.

Return to “General Discussion”