Voting With Donations

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Xerographica

Voting With Donations

Post by Xerographica »

Last November I started a thread about prioritization. I made the case that ideas for phpBB should be ranked by donation votes (DVs) rather than by ballot votes (BVs). In that thread I shared a few examples of DV. Figured it wouldn't hurt to use this thread to share a few more...

DV was used to determine whether men or women are better tippers.

DV was used to determine which skeptic to prank.

DV is being used to rank cats.

DV was used to rank law firm bands.

DV was used to choose the libertarian party convention theme...

$6,327.00 — I’m That Libertarian!
$5,200.00 — Building Bridges, Not Walls
$1,620.00 — Pro Choice on Everything
$1,377.77 — Empowering the Individual
$395.00 — The Power of Principle
$150.00 — Future of Freedom
$135.00 — Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
$105.00 — Rise of the Libertarians
$75.00 — Free Lives Matter
$42.00 — Be Me, Be Free
$17.76 — Make Taxation Theft Again
$15.42 — Taxation is Theft
$15.00 — Jazzed About Liberty
$15.00 — All of Your Freedoms, All of the Time
$5.00 — Am I Being Detained!
$5.00 — Liberty Here and Now

Would the results have been better if BV had been used instead of DV? It's not like we can see how BV would have ranked things. With this in mind, in another community that I'm a member of, I've been trying to juxtapose how BV and DV rank the same things. Here's my most recent attempt... pragmatarian discussion thread.

Participants can BV and/or DV for their preferred political system. So far "capracracy" (rule by goats) is the most highly ranked political system in both the BV poll and the DV poll. Heh. In theory, the results would be more reliable with a larger pool of participants. Of course it would help if the outcome was more consequential.

Is anybody who manages their own online community interested in conducting a similar experiment? You'd raise money to help pay for your website and/or to help support some other worthy cause. Plus, you'd help us compare the results of BV and DV.

I'll go ahead and shed some light on the this topic's conceptual foundation. Here's a short video clip of a coywolf comparing a goose egg and a roadkill. Comparing the usefulness of things is what life is all about. The more intelligent an organism is, the more correctly it will determine the usefulness of things. In theory, a group of people is more intelligent than any individual in the group. A group can use two very different ways... BV and DV... to determine the usefulness of things. Given that BV and DV are so very different, they can't be equally intelligent. It's imperative that we figure out whether BV or DV is smarter. Our very survival depends on it.

In any case, DV is a very useful tool that every community should be aware of.
Toxyy

Re: Voting With Donations

Post by Toxyy »

If you mean some sort of virtual money to "vote" with so we can't just simply vote on everything I'd say that there aren't enough ideas that that would be viable. On top of that, as everyone told you in the other thread, phpbb isn't accepting donations like that. And I, for one, am not going to give a dollar every time I want to vote for an idea on the ideas page. That's ridiculous. First of all I can't afford that and I'm not one to use patreon or even kickstarter so I wouldn't anyways, but it's limiting who has a say in the way things will go with the people who have enough money to throw around like that, leading to only 3-5 people voting on everything, if that.

If we're talking about on individual forums then you can just make a donors group for your board, and only let donors vote in polls on a certain forum to achieve a similar result.
Last edited by Toxyy on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I would have thought that based on the response in the topic you started before, that you would have realized that not many people thought this was a good idea at all.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

A voting system should be be based on how big your wallet is. If I have $1 million and donate that all to my vote, I basically just wiped out everyone who has less than $1 million. How is that even remotely fair?
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
david63

Post by david63 »

Xerographica wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:58 pm So far "capracracy" (rule by goats) is the most highly ranked political system in both the BV poll and the DV poll.
Doesn't that totally discredit the DV system and prove that both are equal? Or in other words all of this is nothing more than a waste of time!!
Xerographica

Post by Xerographica »

kinerity wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 pm A voting system should be be based on how big your wallet is. If I have $1 million and donate that all to my vote, I basically just wiped out everyone who has less than $1 million. How is that even remotely fair?
It's not fair, in theory it's effective. If this theory is wrong, which it might be, then all the markets should be replaced with democracy. So it's imperative that we test and compare both systems. If the market theory is wrong, then we need to figure this out sooner rather than later.
Xerographica

Post by Xerographica »

david63 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:00 pm
Xerographica wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:58 pm So far "capracracy" (rule by goats) is the most highly ranked political system in both the BV poll and the DV poll.
Doesn't that totally discredit the DV system and prove that both are equal? Or in other words all of this is nothing more than a waste of time!!
If it's truly the case that DV and BV are equal, then shopping everyday is an incredible waste of everybody's time and energy, so all markets should be replaced with democracy.

But before we replace all markets with democracy, it would be prudent to conduct more tests to compare BV and DV. Plus, these experiments, thanks to DV, also function as fundraisers.

Here's an idea for a potential experiment. Members of an online community can BV and/or DV for their very favorite thread. This would essentially create two treasure maps...

1. BV treasure map
2. DV treasure map

Which treasure map would be better?
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

None. To put it short and simple both ways manipulate people. 2 topics, same context (different angle), but the point is the same, it doesn't lead to nowhere. Request an extension for what you want or make one yourself.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

kinerity wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 pm A voting system should be be based on how big your wallet is. If I have $1 million and donate that all to my vote, I basically just wiped out everyone who has less than $1 million. How is that even remotely fair?
I assume you mean "should not".

Indeed, it should always be one-person one-vote. Just imagine how we would end up otherwise -- if our elections were always based on cash. We would end up with a capitalist for our leader instead of a ... um ... nevermind.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

Yeah, that was supposed to say "should not".
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.

Return to “General Discussion”