hosting question

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
millipede

Re: hosting question

Post by millipede »

Thanks kinerity

1. What I meant in my question was I don't know how to compare all the specs of my current plan with the cloud hosting plan. In the specs I listed you can see that storage and bandwidth would be increased AND my cost would be decreased(a definite plus) but the whole cpu core and ram specs, I can't compare those side by side. If I switched to the cloud plan my storage would double and my bandwidth would be pretty nice... but would I be losing cpu and ram in that? I'm not sure what ram I have or cpu cores at my disposal... .5 cores and .5GB of ram sounds low to me but, I don't know if it's less than what I have now or if it would be more or less than I need... and if it was less than I have, would it be a problem. That sort of thing.

2/3. Looking in Cpanel, seems let's encrypt is in there. Would it be advised to go with that then?

4. No thoughts on that one? If I switched to ssl, people might feel safer and, they'd be safer... I'm just trying to figure how much hassle it will be. Guess I can google(not google though) that one.

5. Yeah, my host is fairly reputable and does free transfers.

6. So, cloud hosting isn't any less safe than the standard hosting?
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

1 - Only your host can tell you what you currently have with regards to CPU and RAM. Those do seem a little low, but then again I've never bothered with shared/cloud hosting.

2/3 - That's who I currently use and never had a problem.

4 - No idea, so I'll refrain from answering as I don't want to provide mis-information. I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard.

5 - Image

6 - I wouldn't say it's less secure or more secure, just that there is always a chance of risk. I would be saying the same thing if you were on a VPS or dedicated server.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
millipede

Post by millipede »

Thanks. I will contact my host and see if I can get a better understanding/comparison from them between what I have and the cloud plan.
millipede

Post by millipede »

Well, at least I know now.
My host replied to me and let me know that my current plan has 1 cpu core and 1GB of memory. Then told me what the cleanest upgrade was, to the higher plans... Nope, I'm good for now.
That extra storage and bandwidth(at a lower price at that) sure was tempting but to have my cpu core and memory cut in half... Not sure it'd be worth it.
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Why don't you just get a content delivery network provider such as CloudFlare which will save you bandwidth?

You could also just submit a support ticket with your provider and they'll give you all the information you need to know, but for the price you are currently paying isnt bad for a Cloud service.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Most of the content served by phpBB including images served through file.php are not cached by Cloudflare by default*. The only thing they are going to cache is CSS, javascript and static images like topic icons. As I have already mentioned he should have plenty of bandwidth for small site so it's not really an issue anyway.

*Keep in mind if you start playing with the Cloudflare settings you could change this behavior however without altering the phpBB script this poses a security issue. e.g. files in PM's and private forums not available to the public would be cached and once that occurs there is nothing preventing them from being served to anyone.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

There are cheap and, in some cases, free for the first year hosting packages that have a lot more resources than you’re stating, most even have unlimited bandwidth. So you, as the customer, should be shopping around to find a server package that suits your requirements. Have a look at WebHostingTalk.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “General Discussion”