hosting question

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
millipede

hosting question

Post by millipede »

Is there a place in Cpanel or somewhere that explains something like the cores you're site has access to?
The reason I'm asking is, I was just looking at my host to see what it is I'm paying for. I forgot the numbers... bandwidth and storage...

When I go there I see they have these cloud server options. One of these days I need to actually learn what this could stuff is as in my mind, storage is storage... something in on a drive, somewhere... I always felt like cloud was just a fancy word added to something new. HA... but that's another subject.

But, their cheapest cloud storage plan is cheaper than what I'm on now. I pay $22.50 a quarter, which is $7.50 a month... That was a good deal when I signed up to it as my last one was higher.
The cheapest cloud option they have is $5.99 a month. I don't know if there's a quarterly rate there but, that alone would save about $18 a year. Not a huge deal... so, the specs... this cloud option, the cheapest one, offers .5 cpu cores and .5 gb ram. Also has 10gb storage and unlimited bandwidth, which I'll never be sure how to trust what that means exactly... but
My current plan has only 5gb of storage(which is plenty for now) and 256GB bandwidth... which, for now, is still plenty.

My question is...
Is there a place where I can view the ram and cpu core usage?

If I'm reading this correctly, the cloud server stuff offers free ssl certificates. I've never worried about those before as nobody is going to lose anything big if my site were ever compromised... but, free is free. Lots of bells and whistles... sounds good...
Why does the whole cloud idea worry me though?
As you can tell, I am not really up on these things... so, go easy on me for that please. :)
AmigoJack

Re: hosting question

Post by AmigoJack »

millipede wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 ama place in Cpanel
Consider reading the cPanel manual.

millipede wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 amram and cpu core usage
Create a new file, fill it with the content below, save it as a PHP file (i.e. res.php), then upload it and just browse to it:

Code: Select all

<?php
	// 2018-08-10 AmigoJack https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2481826

if( function_exists( 'sys_getloadavg' ) ) {
		// http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/07/31/understanding-load-averages
		$aLoad= sys_getloadavg();

// https://gist.github.com/ezzatron/1321581#file-num-cpus-php
		if( is_readable( '/proc/cpuinfo' ) ) {
			$sCpu= file_get_contents( '/proc/cpuinfo' );
			preg_match_all( '#^processor#m', $sCpu, $aMatch );
			$iCpu= count( $aMatch[0] );
		} else $iCpu= 1;

$sPerf= '';
		$aLoadLang= array
		( 0=> 'last minute: %0.2f (%0.1f%%) &bull; '
		, 1=> 'last 5: %0.2f (%0.1f%%) &bull; '
		, 2=> 'last 15: %0.2f (%0.1f%%) &bull; '
		);
		foreach( $aLoadLang as $iLoad=> $sLoad )
		$sPerf.= sprintf( $sLoad, $aLoad[$iLoad], $aLoad[$iLoad]/ $iCpu );

$sPerf.= "$iCpu CPUs";
	} else $sPerf= 'n/a';

if( is_readable( '/proc/meminfo' ) ) {
		$sMem= file_get_contents( '/proc/meminfo' );
		$iMemTotal= (int)preg_replace( '#^MemTotal:\\s*([0-9]+) kB$#m', '$1', $sMem )* 1024;
		$iMemFree= (int)preg_replace( '#^MemFree:\\s*([0-9]+) kB$#m', '$1', $sMem )* 1024;

$sMem= sprintf( '%s free of %s total', $iMemFree, $iMemTotal );
	} else $sMem= 'n/a';

echo( "Performance: $sPerf; Memory: $sMem" );
millipede

Post by millipede »

Thanks. I'm not good at retaining a lot of information so, simply reading that will overwhelm my brain and, will require multiple readings I'm sure. But, hopefully that will sit in my bookmarks and be a good resource to study from when I need it.

And thanks for the code there. I did that and the results:
Performance: last minute: 21.88 (21.9%) • last 5: 21.21 (21.2%) • last 15: 21.16 (21.2%) • 1 CPUs; Memory: 0 free of 101217210368 total

I'm not sure what the first three are... % of cpu usage?
This does show that I currently use 1 cpu? and the memory... that seems an odd number... and 0 free of? hmmm... I'm not quite sure what to make of that.
So that's the hosting service I have now... and it's a "legacy" plan meaning I can't go find what the plan offers on a page there. Kind of like my internet service. The plan I have can't be found on their sites anywhere... ha.

the cloud one offers just .5 cores and .5GB of ram... but offers more storage and bandwidth
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I would forget the cloud stuff. just find a decent hosting plan. most basic hosting offers plenty of resources for most phpbb installations.

https://webhostingtalk.com is a good place to look.

unless you have a very large and very busy board ( as in thousands of members and thousands of posts a day, etc. ) then just about any standard hosting plan will be enough to run it just fine.

robert
millipede

Post by millipede »

I'm not displeased with my current hosting... $7.50 a month... I wasn't looking to switch, I was only looking at the cloud option at my current host because I stumbled across it and it was cheaper.

I'm using MDD which, back when I switched, was highly recommended at that webhostingtalk site.

I'll probably stay where I am now... for now. comparing a million other options would give me a headache. HA.
millipede

Post by millipede »

millipede wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:49 pm

And thanks for the code there. I did that and the results:
Performance: last minute: 21.88 (21.9%) • last 5: 21.21 (21.2%) • last 15: 21.16 (21.2%) • 1 CPUs; Memory: 0 free of 101217210368 total
@AmigoJack, Was wondering if you could explain what those results meant... and again, appreciate it.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

• Performance = as per sys_getloadavg() returns the average system load (how much each/all CPUs are commited to work instead of being idle):
    • last minute: 21.88 (21.9%) = 21.9% for all CPUs (and 21.9% for one CPU) within the last 60 seconds. Since you only have one CPU both values are identical (only rounded with different accuracy)
    • last 5: 21.21 (21.2%) = 21.2% for all CPUs (and 21.2% for one CPU) within the last 300 seconds
    • last 15: 21.16 (21.2%) = 21.2% for all CPUs (and 21.2% for one CPU) within the last 900 seconds
  • 1 CPUs = Only one CPU available to you. Could be multicore, tho, but that's mostly not interesting at all.
  • Memory: 0 free of = for systems entirely dedicated to the web it's pretty normal all the RAM is spent, most likely the DBMS uses all of it, while the HTTP server only needs a fraction of it.
  • 101217210368 = 98'844'932 KiB; then it's not dividible by 1024 anymore, it's a good 94 GiB. Most likely it's only the quota you can use, not the entire physical RAM - that's why it can be "odd".
millipede

Post by millipede »

Thanks for that, and, sorry about all the questions...

That 21-22% on the cpu, is that similar to say my computer where it will be used a certain amount even if not much is going on? Those numbers are when there's VERY little happening. I guess part of what I'm asking there is if I've got plenty for my needs and all...
And the ram is still confusing. 94GiB? The whole GiB vs GB still confuses me because I don't use the terms very often and the fact that there are two that are so similar and yet so different is just frustrating. But, that's another topic.

Could that 94GiB be what's available on the server and not what's actually available to me? Just seems high, thinking about memory.
All this has me wondering how my current plan compares to the cloud plan they have offered... The cloud one offers 10GB of storage compared to the 5 I have now, and unlimited bandwidth compared to the 256GB I have now. But the cloud plan mentions .5 cores and .5 GB ram. Not that I would really use it but, that seems low.

Again, I'm sorry for all the questions. There's a LOT I don't know about this stuff and, I'm an inquisitive person. HA.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

millipede wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 am I've never worried about those before as nobody is going to lose anything big if my site were ever compromised... but, free is free.
I'd caution you about having that idea. The primary issue is users often reuse the same password. If your site gets compromised and they obtain the user table what they may first do is try and brute force the passwords using a dictionary attack, that is going to net them about 10% of your users or something along those lines. They now have an associated username, email address and password.

As far as SSL those passwords are sent plain text and would be vulnerable to man in the middle on things like public wi-fi.
AmigoJack wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:37 am Memory: 0 free of = for systems entirely dedicated to the web it's pretty normal all the RAM is spent, most likely the DBMS uses all of it, while the HTTP server only needs a fraction of it.
101217210368 = 98'844'932 KiB; then it's not dividible by 1024 anymore, it's a good 94 GiB. Most likely it's only the quota you can use, not the entire physical RAM - that's why it can be "odd".
Free memory means it is completely free, you need to look at available memory for what is actually "free". This is shared host and that 96GB of ram is going to be shared. Same thing with the CPU's. In a VPS and up you get guaranteed RAM and CPU's, the RAM may be only 2GB on low end VPS.
millipede wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:53 am That 21-22% on the cpu,
This is likely the entire machine.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
millipede

Post by millipede »

I'd caution you about having that idea. The primary issue is users often reuse the same password.
well that's definitely a true statement. Not myself but, I know that's easy for people to do.
As far as SSL those passwords are sent plain text and would be vulnerable to man in the middle on things like public wi-fi.
That is when certificates aren't being used? Would it be worth using ssl if I have that option? I think with my current plan, I do not. Not sure it's something I could afford to add on right now but I could look into it.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

millipede wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:43 am That is when certificates aren't being used? Would it be worth using ssl if I have that option? I think with my current plan, I do not. Not sure it's something I could afford to add on right now but I could look into it.
Correct, SSL encrypts the data between the clients computer and your server. When some connects to public wifi any traffic that is not encrypted could be read by the person in control of the router. It also makes it nearly impossible to spoof the https version of a website which someone who was in control of the public wifi could also do, not a big issue for site like yours that would not be a target but a very big issue if it was banking site.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

millipede wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:53 amThe whole GiB vs GB still confuses me
Most of the times just looking for a Wikipedia article about that term helps: it comes with the explanation and a table on the right side comparing both units. Its usage hasn't spread very much up to today tho - most people still use the units wrongly (i.e. speaking of GB when meaning GiB).
millipede

Post by millipede »

I'm back to thinking about this stuff again... There's a variety of questions all jumbled together here... :(

My current hosting(same company, it's really the only reason I looked at it and am still looking as I figure a change on the same hosting company shouldn't be painful IF I considered it...) I'm paying roughly $7.50 a month... wish I could put in something of a spreadsheet for side by side comparison, but there's only a few things to compare so, eh...

My current plan at $7.50/month
  • storage = 5GB
    bandwidth = 256GB
    cpu cores = I don't know
    ram = I don't know
    ssl = I don't think so but will look into that.
Cloud plan at $5.99/month(apparently $5/month if paid for a year)
  • storage = 10GB
    bandwidth = unlimited
    cpu cores = .5
    ram = .5GB
    ssl = free
    Disk I/O: 30 MB/s
    Entry Processes: 15
    Total Processes: 100
    Inodes/Files: 150,000
(I pretended I was signing up and was able to see those other specifications... still don't have those on my current plan to compare though)

Lower price is always good... more storage and bandwidth is also good, especially when I'm considering allowing image attachments.
my concerns/questions are...
1. I just don't know how to compare the cloud plan's cpu and ram to my current plan giving what I've already posted. So, I don't know if it would be worth it to opt for the cheaper plan that has more storage and bandwidth... would I be sacrificing the whole cpu and ram specs?
2. If the cloud option has free ssl, does that make it worth looking into?
3. with or without switching plans, how recommended would it be to find a way to have ssl?
4. IF I did switch to https instead of http, will that mess up the urls real bad? will things redirect? how much of a hassle could it cause?
5. IF I switched hosting plans with the same company, would it still be a transfer of sorts where I'd have to mess with the databases and such for the board?
6. I'm not sure anyone addressed my thoughts/concerns on cloud security. Somehow the cloud idea sounds more vulnerable. I don't know if it's because of the whole idea as to how it's done, feels like stuff is more out there... or the fact that all those celebrities photos(I believe) got hacked from cloud storage a few years back. Somehow the whole cloud idea has be cautious I guess.

Sorry for the list of questions. I really like to have a better understanding of some of these things... I put the questions into a list this time to help them not get lost. I tend to ramble on and have thoughts and questions all mixed up and all over the place. :/

And yeah AmigoJack, I had looked up the whole GB vs GiB thing, probably even looked at wikipedia before you replied... and before I commented even. It's still confusing. I don't have the slightest idea of when to use which... why there are two different ways and why two are still used. I like things to be simple. ha. So, I'll be one of the people likely using the wrong term at the wrong time. One of those things where I look it up and say "okay, I understand there's a difference... but then what?"
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

millipede wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pmwhy there are two different ways and why two are still used
When you ask the butcher for meat you surely want kilograms, as in 1000 g, which is because of the decimal system (base 10) - those will always live on. In computer algebra, everything is based on binary: 2^0 = 1; 2^1 = 2; 2^2 = 4; 2^3 = 8; 2^4 = 16; 2^5 = 32; ... 2^8 = 256; ... 2^10 = 1024 - there are no alignments in 1000, it's 1024, hence speaking of KiByte. That's also why the hexadecimal system (base 16) is used that much, because it alignes far better than the decimal system.
millipede wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pmI like things to be simple.
I prefer things to be correct and unambiguous over being simple. A simple thing would be an "on/off" switch - but I prefer a switch that is labeled to what exactly "on" means and if "off" is correct (and not "standby").
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

millipede wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm 1. I just don't know how to compare the cloud plan's cpu and ram to my current plan giving what I've already posted. So, I don't know if it would be worth it to opt for the cheaper plan that has more storage and bandwidth... would I be sacrificing the whole cpu and ram specs?
To put it in simpler terms - with cloud hosting, the resources required for maintaining your website are spread across more than one web server. Theoretically, it just means that if Server A goes down, you're website will continue to be up with Server B, Server C, and Server D. As an example, Google has its resources spread over hundreds of servers, which is why you don't ever see it down.
millipede wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm 2. If the cloud option has free ssl, does that make it worth looking into?
While SSL is not required, it is an added layer of security in the sense that the information sent to and from you server and users is encrypted. If the host is offering it for free, jump on it.
millipede wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm 3. with or without switching plans, how recommended would it be to find a way to have ssl?
Not too hard. Let's Encrypt actually provides free SSL.
millipede wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm 5. IF I switched hosting plans with the same company, would it still be a transfer of sorts where I'd have to mess with the databases and such for the board?
If it's the same company, they should be able to do the transfer for you. If the aren't willing to, I would question whether I want to stay with that particular host.
millipede wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm 6. I'm not sure anyone addressed my thoughts/concerns on cloud security. Somehow the cloud idea sounds more vulnerable. I don't know if it's because of the whole idea as to how it's done, feels like stuff is more out there... or the fact that all those celebrities photos(I believe) got hacked from cloud storage a few years back. Somehow the whole cloud idea has be cautious I guess.
No system is going to be 100% secure, although most companies are better at it than others. That being said, cloud storage is being used interchangeably with cloud hosting and is not the concern you raise. Cloud storage services would include Dropbox, Google photos and iCloud (which is the hack you mention).
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.

Return to “General Discussion”