What is the best database for phpbb project?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Biridwincee
Name: Billy Quiroz

What is the best database for phpbb project?

Post by Biridwincee »

Hi everybody,
I want to change my website and go to the PHP backend. A new design with faster loading speeds. But what matters to me is the information that is supposed to be stored in the database and connected to the site at high speed. Which database is better? MySQL? SQL Server, MongoDB or...?
Last edited by Biridwincee on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: What is the best database for phpbb project?

Post by Mick »

I don’t know about which is best but the majority of phpBB users use mysql but any of those listed in requirements in the user guide will do.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Biridwincee

Post by Biridwincee »

Most of all, the speed of sending information is important to me. You do not have a quick talk about what databases should be used?
Biridwincee

Post by Biridwincee »

I use MySQL for most of my project for PHP. But since the project is for an online store, the scale of information and the number of users entering the site is different, the same is true for the speed of sending important information.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

For actual facts and figures you’d probably be better off asking your host or on a support site for whatever dB you’re considering.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Biridwincee

Post by Biridwincee »

Maybe it's my last chance, Thanks a lot dear Mick
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

I think the most commonly used one is MySQL. My point of view is one-sided since I have never used anything else, but if you're interested in speed more than anything, each intermediate release of MySQL (e.g. 5.5 -> 5.6 -> 5.7 etc.) has gained a substantial speed increase over the years. I would recommend going with MySQL 5.7. The next version that came out after 5.7 is version 8.0 (currently 8.0.12). Yes, they skipped a few numbers. Version 8.0 is much faster than 5.7, however, the latest version of phpMyAdmin doesn't work with it yet. It only works with 5.7 and earlier. The bug was reported here. They're working on it.

Something else to consider regarding speed is Litespeed, Nginx or Apache. By far, the absolute fastest is Litespeed. Nginx is also blazing fast and is incredibly light and efficient (that's what I use). If you need a crap ton of functionality, go for Apache, but be warned, it is the slowest one when compared.

Moving on to PHP: The latest and greatest version is 7.2. It's super fast. In terms of speed, it isn't much faster than 7.1. Regarding 7.0, it's almost at EOL and isn't worth considering anymore. As for 5.6, it's slower than the other two and approaching EOL as well, so avoid that.

Your website should have http/2 enabled in the configuration file for even more speed. Using https would be required, along with certificates for encryption.

And for more speed, enable TLS 1.2 and TLS 1.3 only. Do not enable or allow anything lower than those two specific versions. Regarding the ssl_ciphers, these are the ones I recommend using for TLS 1.2 and 1.3 for the highest security:

Code: Select all

ssl_ciphers					TLS13-AES-128-GCM-SHA256:TLS13-AES-256-GCM-SHA384:TLS13-CHACHA20-POLY1305-SHA256:EECDH+CHACHA20:EECDH+AESGCM:EECDH+AES+SHA384:EECDH+AES+SHA256;
And finally, use these sites to increase the security of your website:
I hope that helps. Good luck with your website!
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Biridwincee wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:34 amWhich database is better? MySQL? SQL Server, MongoDB or...?
Those aren't databases, but DBMSs instead.

The best database is a new/clean one.

The "best" DBMS is a point of view:
  • MySQL is probably most widespread for personal/private use; documentation and countless questions/answers are available online; it is mostly included in ready-to-go software for testing your website at home. It is now owned by Oracle tho.
  • MariaDB is a fork from MySQL for license reasons; almost all of the documentation and questions/answers for MySQL can be used for this as well, as both systems are almost entirely compatible; most promiment user of this is Wikipedia.
  • If you're either not interested in a relational DBMS or your operating system is not Unix/Linux then other products might be more interesting, see Wikipedia: Comparison of relational database management systems and Wikipedia: DBMS
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and I would assume that speed is not really an issue no matter which one you choose.
it is usually best to use whatever is the main stream software and that would be either mysql or maria ( fairly new )

however, your host may not even offer you much of a choice.

robert
Biridwincee

Post by Biridwincee »

All suggestions were really great and they will help me a lot in this project, but anyway, I'll have to test all of the solutions you've set out to see Which one method is best for me based on Host and the information on the site.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I wouldnt worry about it, make sure the package you go for meets requirements and go for it, everybody else does.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Biridwincee wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:45 am All suggestions were really great and they will help me a lot in this project, but anyway, I'll have to test all of the solutions you've set out to see Which one method is best for me based on Host and the information on the site.
as long as your host provides at least one to choose from you are good.
you are way over thinking this. if mysql is available , choose it like millions and millions of other website owners do.

If (IF) you ever have any issues with speed that a different one would solve, then you can change. by that time you would have a very very large and busy board and would have to be thinking about a different server setup anyway.

luck,
robert
rubencm
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by rubencm »

If you want your forum to go a little faster, use a cache server like redis

Return to “General Discussion”