wysiwyg editors for linux?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
millipede

wysiwyg editors for linux?

Post by millipede »

I have my own site that, I still(as usual) have to work on. Years back I used something like frontpage or something to design it. It wasn't pretty... Some time this year I found a program called mobirise that can be used to design pages that are mobile friendly. And they work with blocks that you drag and drop and then edit how you like them. It, of course, has some limitations but, it's better than anything I could do on my own as I'm not a coder of any sort.
I've also, in the past, simply downloaded css templates and made little tweaks here and there. But, I prefer being able to see what I'm doing as I'm doing it without knowing how to code.

And now... or, sometime soon, I will be building a new desktop and I'm toying with the idea of NOT buying windows for the machine... and using linux mint or something. So far, all the things I typically do on the computer, that I can recall so far, I've found I can still do if I switch to linux... except the web-design stuff.

does anyone have any experience with such editors on linux? I typically go with free software(like, exclusively) and I sure can't go subscribing to anything or making a BIG purchase but, I'd be willing to pay a few bucks of a one time fee if a program could do what I need. I've been searching, and have asked some of the linux people at bleepingcomputer, and I don't have any real solutions yet.
some have suggested just building the computer, installing linux, installing wine and trying to run mobirise. I'd prefer to have a clue before I have the machine built as to what was going to work rather than go through all that, find it doesn't work, and then decide I "need" to buy windows 10.

Any suggestions ideas for web design on a linux machine?
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: wysiwyg editors for linux?

Post by canonknipser »

You can use an IDE, maybe this list gives you some hints. I like eclipse (because I also use a eclipse IDE for my job), but for quick&dirty I use kate.
As an altenative, just use a plain text editor and use a local web server which is part of most linux desktop distributions.
Save your file on the local web path and check the results with the common browsers.
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AlfredoRamos »

Not a WYSIWYG editor, but you could use Atom and some plugins to get HTML preview, or better yet Vim with some plugins to mimic Sublime Text's code minimap.
millipede

Post by millipede »

Thanks for the thoughts guys... I'm not sure if I stressed it enough but I don't know how to code, at all. I've used notepad++ to tweak a few minor things before but I don't actually know how to write anything.
I'm starting to think there aren't any real good solutions.

In the past, I used frontpage or something but it never looked great. And on one page, I just downloaded a free css template and tweaked it a little to suit my needs. (changed images, etc...)
This year I started using Mobirise.
Someone suggested trying to run mobirise using wine on linux but, eh...
Their idea, after some discussion, was to go ahead, build my new pc, install linux, and just see what works. I don't entirely love that plan because if it doesn't work and I feel stuck, then I have to go and order windows and start everything over again. I want to know what I can do BEFORE building a new pc... because if I can skip buying windows, I can put more money into the build.
But I am starting to think I should just stick with the familiar and go with windows...
I'll keep thinking about it and searching for options.
It kind of surprises me, however, that I'm not finding more solutions to this out there.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AlfredoRamos »

I would suggest to go with an OS that you're familiar and comfortable with, GNU/Linux is not for everybody.

It seems that you don't really want to use GNU/Linux, you just want to save money to use it to the hardware, which for me is not a good reason to try GNU/Linux, unless you are willing to learn.

Anyways, there's also Google web designer, I haven't used tough.

https://www.google.com/webdesigner/
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+wysiwyg ... =h_&ia=web

just about all of those first serps suggest kompozer.

robert
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

The old dilemma: user wants to design without wanting to know how. Dragging objects in a richtext editor has even its downsides for textual documents that origin from a binary format. But HTML/CSS has been textual to begin with and always from writing it and then rendering the visuals, not the other way around. In long terms you should opt in getting familiar with "coding".

Have you actually tried the programs via WINE? You should come pretty far with that approach. In the end you could even emulate a whole Windows installation (which shouldn't even have remarkable performance impacts given what you want/need).

As usual, Wikipedia comes with a list of HTML editors and their features: look thru the ones having WYSIWYG support, then look up on which operating systems the matching ones exist. One match would be BlueGriffon.
millipede

Post by millipede »

Thanks. I'm still wading through more information than I really care to.
Some(many) are outdated, no longer supported. Komposer being one of those. Their site isn't even active anymore.
Google's web thing is for advertisements, not pages. It's kind of surprising they don't have some big web dev app actually... but, I'm kind of glad I don't have a good program from them dangling in front of me. HA...

Learn to code? Maybe... some day. My way of learning is, well... complicated. I learn as I go, pick up what I need AS I need it kind of thing. That doesn't work for something so complex... I can also learn well with hands on, one on one teaching. I get lost in classrooms and reading books and pages.
But, that's all another story.

So, I'm still comparing a few... some cost. One is free as long as it's not for commercial use(including ads, which I use). Some are priced a bit high. BlueGriffon is listed in Euros or something and it's $80 something US before taxes. It's an option maybe... will keep wading and getting lost...

Unless someone has a firm solution, I'm going to stray from the downloadable apps to go and find and turn this to(same topic really) Cpanel apps.

Cpanel seems to have a LOT of apps a person can install... but, I'm a little lost on a few things... 1. Do they cost or, how many are free? (I may need to send a message to my host for all of this) 2. Do you just download and install one? I think I did that with a guestbook at one point but forget. I guess I can just click and find out what to do by doing what it says... HA...
3. What are some of these apps compared to a WYSIWYG program? There's a BIG list of CMS apps including Joomla and many others... and some framework apps including bootstrap, which I know is what some programs, like mobirise, are kind of built on, or at least similar to.
can anyone give me a simple explanation to those types of apps in Cpanel and if any of those would be something I could use/would be looking for?

And, getting into Cpanel on my host and doing stuff in there isn't going to be different if I do end up going with linux will it?

I'm still torn on this whole thing. There's a part of me that wants to stick with MS just because it's what I'm used to and, I am not a big fan of change... BUT... There are aspects of windows 10 that drive me nuts... like the updates... no control over them... and, if I keep it on a metered connection(do that with two kids' computers) it wont do ALL downloads... and if I take it off a metered connection, it KILLS the internet in my house.

I'm frustrated at times... decision making is difficult for me. I hope I'm not driving anyone crazy in all of this.
Lumpy Burgertushie

if you do not want to spend the time and effort to learn linux then it is just not a good option for you.

as to cpanel, those apps very easy to install. you just click a couple of buttons, fill out some blanks and it is done.

no downloading, no ftp etc. etc.

assuming you are talking about the web builder apps available in the cpanel, there is no installing them, there is no downloading etc.

you simply access the web builder app and use it online in your cpanel/control panel.

once you finish creating your web page you simply publish it and you are done.

robert
millipede

Post by millipede »

as to cpanel, those apps very easy to install. you just click a couple of buttons, fill out some blanks and it is done.
Well, I tried. First I tried the sitepad and, wasn't having a ton of luck customizing things quite like I wanted. I may go back and mess with it more another time... we'll see.
Then I decided to go ahead and try something like bootstrap... said it installed successfully... go to domain/bootstrap/ and it says it was successful... but, now what? Can't figure out what to do now. Don't see any options... nothing.

But, it's getting late and I need a break so I'll mess with it more another day.
Lumpy Burgertushie

bootstrap is not a wysiwyg web page builder. I have no idea how you use bootstrap to create css files and I also have no idea what you are supposed to be able to do with the cpanel installation. I just installed it like you did and got the same thing.... nothing, no index page, no instructions no nothing but a blank page.

I also just looked at the sitepad thing. It also makes no sense about how to use it. it looks sort of like a word press theme and making changes to it seem to be similar to wordpress. I hate wordpress, never could get my head wrapped around editing wp themes.

I know none of this helps you but I just wanted you to know that I agree with you about these two things. I have been doing websites since back when the web was just beginning.

I just go find a free template somewhere and then start changing it using a text editor.
your text editors will usually have a button to allow you to view your changes in the browser.
or, you can simply get whatever website builder your browser supplies and use that.

robert
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

IMO if you're serious about learning how to code you should ditch the WYSIWYG idea and learn to do it properly. Those types of editors add a ton of detritus, just make a single centred "hello world" page with a WYSIWYG editor and look at the code it generates.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “General Discussion”