Which hosting is best for PHPBB

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bukharifaran
Name: Faran Akhtar

Which hosting is best for PHPBB

Post by bukharifaran »

My website is hosted at A2Hosting which is the basic package of WordPress Hosting Package. As I said earlier I have a news website which is based on WordPress. I want to install a phpBB forum on it as well.

This is the last month of my hosting. This hosting account will expire on 31st Oct. I have another website which is hosted at SiteGround hosting on its WordPress GrowBig hosting package. Mean both A2Hosting and SiteGround hosting are WordPress hosting packages.

Can I install the phpBB script on WordPress Hosting? Or should I get the simple PHP based hosting to install the phpBB forum script?

Moreover, which hosting provider is good for phpBB forum? Should I switch my news site to Siteground if site ground is good or should I stick to A2Hosting if it is good for phpBB forum?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Which hosting is best for PHPBB

Post by KevC »

We cannot really recommend a host, but we do recommend that you visit WebHostingTalk.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
bukharifaran

Post by bukharifaran »

Okay, I will ask the recommended hosting on that site, but what about the installation of phpBB script on WordPress hosting?

Different hosting providers offer simple php based hosting and special WordPress optimized hostings for WordPress sites. My both hosting packages are WordPress optimized packages. Do I need to move back to simple php hosting or I can use phpBB on the WordPress optimized hosting?
pikachuturkey
Name: Rıza

Post by pikachuturkey »

You can look your Server's feature list and compare with phpbb requirements. Or ask your hosting admin for these requirements.
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... quirements

İf they are compatible you can use your server
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I'm not so sure there is particularly anything such as wordpress optimised. That's just ad speak for saying it's got the necessary server things to run it. Which, most of the time, are what phpBB needs as well.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

The down point with Web Hosting Talk is when people go on there and ask "what host would you recommend for a phpBB forum" you don't get many answers from people who actually have experience of running a phpBB forum,

I guess that's why people ask on here as on here there must be tons of admins who are actually running forums and make a recommendation using facts from experience rather than just looking at specs and prices.
bukharifaran

Post by bukharifaran »

pikachuturkey wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:25 pm You can look your Server's feature list and compare with phpbb requirements. Or ask your hosting admin for these requirements.
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... quirements

İf they are compatible you can use your server
Okay. I have just asked the hosting provide and they said I can use the phpBB forum on their same package without any problem.

Thanks.
bukharifaran

Post by bukharifaran »

Dan Stylez wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 pm The down point with Web Hosting Talk is when people go on there and ask "what host would you recommend for a phpBB forum" you don't get many answers from people who actually have experience of running a phpBB forum,

I guess that's why people ask on here as on here there must be tons of admins who are actually running forums and make a recommendation using facts from experience rather than just looking at specs and prices.
Not only admins, many forum members as well who might have tested different hosting providers for their forum. Like if I talk about WordPress, I have used Fatcow for 6 years, SiteGround for 4 years, NameCheap for 1 year and A2Hosting for 2 years. And I can say that SiteGround is the best hosting for a WordPress site.

So, if any admin or a regular member here, who have tested different hostings for phpBB forum he might share his experience which will be helpful for me.

Anyhow, I have asked both A2Hosting and SiteGround hosting support about phpBB and both said WordPress Optimized hosting package can be used to run phpBB script.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

technically there is no such thing as "wordpress hosting" or "phpbb hosting". wordpress is a database/php based program to create a blog/cms.
phpbb is a database/php based program to create a bulletin board.

the both require the same server setup on a host. as do many hundreds of other programs.

those server requirements are pretty standard on any web host in the industry.

so, just look for a host that supplies database and php and you will be fine.

robert
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Almost any hosting package CAN run phpBB, but what is far more important is how good they are when you need support. Many will say you have to ask here for ANY hosting problems as they just like to pass the buck. I have had many bad experiences with those.

Others always go over and above what is expected, give first class support, and will even help install scripts for you. Those are harder to find, but once you have one you know that no matter what happens you will be staying. Thats the sort of host I am with now.

You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a Prince/Princess

Return to “General Discussion”