Need help on running giveaway on my phpBB

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
gflex1

Need help on running giveaway on my phpBB

Post by gflex1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi, guys I need your recommendations on this.

The situation is this: I run with my father local fishing club. We have wordpress+ PhpBB. Our forum is death now (Because of bad administration in the past). So I think that our forum needs "resuscitation". I came up with an idea to run a giveaway competition.

Let's say who want to win a price must like the fb page, then register to our forum and write 50 posts... is this sounds right? Or could you reccomended me something different to try?

Maybe there are PhpBB extensions to count posts or something similar?
Last edited by rubencm on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Uppercase in title

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: NEED HELP ON RUNNING GIVEAWAY ON MY PHPBB

Post by KevC » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:27 pm

There are sites where people sell their forums on to people who want to keep them going. See if any of your remaining members want to take it off you? Or..... let it die. Sometimes it's the best solution, people have moved on, not much to keep.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

gflex1

Post by gflex1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:32 pm

No, I don't think that other users want to take down. The forum has very little activity in the past 3 or 4 years because admins where stupid and they absolutely don't care about this forum.

Another thing that I see, that our niche has left very very few forums which have good activity (more and more people goes on to Facebook groups).

Anyway, I don't like to give up yet and let it go...

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Trying to get people to write 50 posts on a site they don't even read is going to be a tough ask.

If you like it and you're passionate about keeping it going then why don't you revamp it? Update, new style, new logo, get some posts going, go on an advertising push, make it inviting, work out why people left and what to do about it, reorganise the forums to cut out the clutter. It's do-able.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

gflex1

Post by gflex1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:49 pm

KevC wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:46 pm
Trying to get people to write 50 posts on a site they don't even read is going to be a tough ask.

If you like it and you're passionate about keeping it going then why don't you revamp it? Update, new style, new logo, get some posts going, go on an advertising push, make it inviting, work out why people left and what to do about it, reorganize the forums to cut out the clutter. It's do-able.
I completely re-updated. Now we have new stylish, clean and up to date discussion forum and also WordPress site. It's like a day and night comparing what was earlier and what is today, So one problem is less :/

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:42 pm

well you could start by putting a link here so we can see what you are working with. ( posts on phpbb get indexed by google hourly etc. ) also put the link and a couple of lines promoting your site in your sig file here.

then, get busy posting to the board, go out around the web and find other sites with the same basic interests. make helpful posts on that site, use the link to yours in your sig file there if allowed.

a giveaway might be a good idea, but don't require all those posts. just require registering and making one or two posts.

the harder you make it the fewer new members you will get, and the quicker they will leave once they sign up etc.

the biggest thing is to make your board the best place for the best content about whatever your subject matter is.
once you are doing that, the word will get around and you will get visitors and thus members etc.

luck,
robert

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:24 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:42 pm
a giveaway might be a good idea, but don't require all those posts. just require registering and making one or two posts.
Definitely agree on that point. The "make 50 posts" feels very inorganic, and I fear would lead to fifty "thank you, me too!" posts from people addressing the contest and nothing else, rather than the content you're actually wanting.

Perhaps the "one or two posts" could be something like "write a 100-word or more story in our Adventures forum about the equipment and location of your most exciting outing last year, or the equipment and location of an outing you would like to make this year." So that there is something more "personal" about the post you're asking for, that might make a person want to come back at least to see what others thought of their story.

And the "second post" could be "and reply to at least one other member's story within the contest deadline"; with the hope that if they're checking & looking, they'll engage and reply to more than just one.

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:48 pm

You could try 15 posts, 50 posts is excessive especially if there aren't many other people posting,

I'm not sure if people will want to write a story on a board if it's fairly inactive, but you could do a giveaway every few months for different things etc so it would be handy to use when it gets a bit busier.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:31 am

You could try like they do on TV, ask a stupid question that everybody and his dog knows and, once you have enough entrants, pick one at random.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:04 am

You have to make someone want it.
If you can't think of anything to write on a subject you're supposed to know the most about then no one else will either. Sometimes the right thing is to let a site die. If someone wins it they don't really gain anything. It's got no members because they've all left, it's not no current content because no one posts so the SEO will be down the pan, it's just a URL and you can buy those for buttons.
Cheap UK Hosting

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:22 pm

You could open some good topics/posts in your forum.
A forum lives on good posts.
Then perhaps new persons announce themselves, who are interested in the fishery, answer on your contribution or ask questions.

In a forum where the last post was posted months ago, you sign up less. As a member I don't write anything anymore.

A member will hardly be willing to write 50 posts in a "broken" forum, for whatever gift. So you can be glad if someone leaves 1 post. I see it all too well in my forum!

sakm
Name: Stu

Re: Need help on running giveaway on my phpBB

Post by sakm » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Just remember its not about the quantity of members but rather the quality!

If you have decent members who post and get on with each other then they will get it active

This starts with you doing a lot of work and interacting with members and posts to get them talking!

Facebook has taken a lot of members away from forums if you have a facebook page already just make sure its not used in a way where people can post on it but rather use it to advertise your forum like posting links to discussions with a post written in a way to get them intrigued

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:07 am

gflex1 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:23 pm
local fishing club
I remember you. Why not continuing the How to ressurect a forum topic? What about all the ideas that were mentioned there?

gflex1

Post by gflex1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:12 am

Sorry. Yes, moderators can close this topic. I will continue on old post.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:22 am

Depends if you want to resurrect it (old topic) or offload it (this topic).
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “General Discussion”