Know CPR!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
I've Been Banned!

Know CPR!

Post by 2600 »

Hey everyone. This is off topic, but I have to share because it's very important. My dad just had a heart arrhythmia according to what the doctor said. My dad was unconscious. My mom called 9-11 and I gave CPR. Because I did that the Doc said I saved his life. In fact, he said people typically die with a heart arrhythmia. He's very, VERY lucky. So with that I wanted to share this video and these links and encourage everyone to learn CPR. You may in fact save a life one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW0Do2-J

https://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/quickcpr.html

https://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid...s/art-20056600
david63

Re: Know CPR!

Post by david63 »

Well done John and I hope all is OK with your dad
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Unbound to what happened to his dad, can we mark this topic as "for Americans"? Because other nations learn first aid almost everywhere and don't use abbreviations without explaining them. Next thing you want to make aware of is the Heimlich maneuver, with which I saved one's life once.

Or: change the topic's title to make this a list of (maybe) helpful posts.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

I actually first did the Heimlich maneuver first thinking he was chocking.

CPR: Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation.

I'm not in the business to be politically correct.
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

I, for one, completely agree with you here. I know that even in Europe there's quite some differences between how many people know CPR.

For example, recently some stats came out stating that the vast majority of people in Germany know how to do CPR (was it 97%?) but in the Netherlands this percentage is way lower, not even half of the people know. Hearing of situations like the one you were in can be eye-openers.

And of course, I hope everything is OK with your father as well and I wish him a speedy recovery.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

It was most likely divine providence. He has something called the widow maker and from what my mom read you die withen 2 minutes and only 2% survive. He's very lucky.

All of the nurses and doctors had to shake my hand and they said they had goosebumps after learning about it. There are things in this universe we just can't understand. Call it divine intervention or whatever.

He'll go in for an angioplasty Monday and I hope they don't have to do a bypass. Because he's already got 10 broken ribs from the compressions and if they go in for a bypass he'd have to go through the ordeal of a sawed open sternum. It's hard enough as it is for him to cough and they are watching for pneumonia.

My mom had quadruple bypass surgery a couple years ago so I know what she went through. Ironically he'll be at the same hospital where my mom was at.

I always asked God that I wanted to save a life one day. And I'm an organ donor just in case where I can save at least 6 lives. I even looked into being a kidney donor or live liver transplant donor. But I never imaged not even in a million years I'd save my dad's life. So I guess mission accomplished on that personal endeavor. But I suppose as I live life I'll have other chances to make a difference as well. I'm 38 and still have at least 40 more years.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

That would be Widow_maker_(medicine), meaning a complete blockage to the coronary artery (Herzkranzarterie).

I'm always carrying my organ donor card (Organspendeausweis) with me since 1998 - its like carrying an ID: to help identify you or your will when talking is not possible.
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

That is great that you could save your dad, I hope everything goes well with the surgery!

I heard that there were calls on the other side of Australia to introduce first aid training as part of the requirements of getting a drivers license - it seems like quite a smart idea.
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

battye wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:27 pmfirst aid training as part of the requirements of getting a drivers license
This is mandatory in many nations and was for decades already. To me it is obvious: experiencing or spotting an accident should make me help - everyone with a a loose understanding of responsibility will learn fist aid at least for rational reasons instead of needing to be forced - and driving a car is moving a heavy vehicle, which can cause bad injuries - it's not just travelling.
david63

Post by david63 »

In the UK they are talking about introducing at primary schools - cannot be a bad thing

Return to “General Discussion”