How to disable email notifications about delivery error?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
tojag
Name: Gregory

How to disable email notifications about delivery error?

Post by tojag »

Is there any possibility to disable returning message to sender, if email delivery failed? I have a few emails per day "This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. [error description]".
It is a bit annoying. Because I have 13k users, someone always has damage the e-mail server or problem with email address or quota limit etc. and e-mails are returned to the sender address, that is my forum address, because the forum sends notifications about new posts, PM, etc. So I have to regular clean email box. I know, it is not phpBB problem but is there any possibility to disable it?
Regards
david63

Re: How to disable email notifications about delivery error?

Post by david63 »

That is nothing to do with phpBB - it is a normal mail server response. You could set up a rule in your email client to delete them.
tojag

Post by tojag »

tojag wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:53 pm I know, it is not phpBB problem but is there any possibility to disable it?
I know about it, which is why I wrote in this section. The question is, can I disable / filter it on the mail server instead of using a filter on the client?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you would have to ask whoever the mail server is. phpbb does not have any control over mail servers. phpbb just allows you to choose between the two most common methods of using the mail server of the host.

so, your host would be the one to contact about this or whoever you are using to process your email accounts etc.

robert
tojag

Post by tojag »

I know, I know ... I asked You because I thought you had the experience with it. If not, please close this topic.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I look up each e-mail address and to which account it belongs. Then I put those accounts into a group which disables read access to almost the entire board and write a PM informing them to keep their e-mail address up to date. After all I want to be able to contact them.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Set up a blacklist in your webmail configuration which will delete all such messages.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Putting a rule in your email client to throw them to a folder you'll "never read" seems like the appropriate idea for me. It's useful information to know 2% of the time, even if its nothing you'll need in the other 98%. You'll use that folder later to research a problem, even though it wasn't something you needed to review every day.
Holger

Post by Holger »

I have 85k users so I know your pain.
I have a custom mod/extension that lets me set a flag in the users preferences in the ACP. When this flag is set, the user gets a message about this and is limited in the usage of the forum (I also have a field shown to the user where I can copy/paste the error message), no download, no PMs and so on. Once the user updates the email in the UCP the flag is automatically removed.

Saves me from a lot of PITA.

Return to “General Discussion”