chinese search engine overload

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Whiskerfish

chinese search engine overload

Post by Whiskerfish » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:35 pm

please be gentle. My regular tech guy got a full time job and I am struggling.

Having problems with a specific IP Group from China slamming my board and slowing things down. I was getting 30 plus notification from the server a day about excessive resource usage. Would look and under the Guests they would routinely have 50-60 sometimes as many as a couple hundred bots on the board.
IP's are 220.243.****

So because the server load was so significant I blocked the range of IP's in CPanel and that helped a lot. I understand this still generates some load for the server but nowhere near what it was. Unfortunately the real issue for me is now the error logs are slammed with "Client Denied" entries and is basically useless to monitor for real issues.

I am sure there is a better way to do this and still maintain the functionality of the error logs?? Hopefully a simple way.

TIA!!

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: chinese search engine overload

Post by canonknipser » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Whiskerfish

Post by Whiskerfish » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Exactly what i needed thank you. I was able to block them in the Server's firewall and hope to see some relief.

Whiskerfish

Post by Whiskerfish » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:54 am

Just to close this out. I went to the WHM and blocked 220.243.0.0/16 using the ConfigServer Security & Firewall (csf). The server load is back down to normal and my error logs are showing me what I need. Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion”