Gravedigging

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Xerographica

Gravedigging

Post by Xerographica » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:31 am

Just now on my favorite forum I spotted this thread... 3 million dollars USD vs Pandas. I noticed that it was locked. The reason? Gravedigging.

The moderator said, "Please do not post in threads that have not had a new post in more than four weeks. This one's been dead for a year and a half."

Somehow I overlooked this interesting thread a year and a half ago. Thanks to the person who recently replied to the thread, I learned of its existence, but now I don't have the opportunity to reply to it. I feel... robbed.

Personally I think that the rule against gravedigging is dumb. But this rule's strict enforcement on my favorite forum has influenced my behavior. My previous thread here was locked because I didn't gravedig my thread from half a year ago.

Forums can have whatever rules they want. If you don't like a rule... ? You can complain about it. If that doesn't work, then you can leave (aka "exit"). You can start your own forum.

Leaving a forum and starting a new one is certainly easier than leaving a country and starting a new one. But the fact is, no country or forum benefits from brain drain. So it's beneficial to have the smartest rules.

How is it possible to have the smartest rules?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Gravedigging

Post by KevC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 am

Xerographica wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:31 am
My previous thread here was locked because I didn't gravedig my thread from half a year ago.
I suspect more likely is that you'd done basically the same topic 4 times which had been debated ad nauseum and they didn't want to start it all over again just to get the same answer.

Smart rules also rely on smart users.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Xerographica

Post by Xerographica » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 am

KevC wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 am
Xerographica wrote:
My previous thread here was locked because I didn't gravedig my thread from half a year ago.
I suspect more likely is that you'd done basically the same topic 4 times which had been debated ad nauseum and they didn't want to start it all over again just to get the same answer.

Smart rules also rely on smart users.
We've never debated Honest Cash or Cent. And even if we had, I really don't think that a moderator should determine for all of us whether we've debated this topic enough. Smart users can decide for themselves whether they've debated a topic enough.

If this forum does truly have a rule that moderators should determine when a topic has been discussed enough, then I think that this rule is really stupid. Does it matter what I think about this rule? If it doesn't matter what your users think about your rules, then chances are good that many, if not most, of your rules will be stupid.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:16 pm

one thing people tend to forget is that a forum is not a democracy. the owner of the forum gets to decide who gets to post and what they get to post about and what the rules are etc. etc.

some are more democratic than others. some become chaos because of lack of rules etc.

as you said, the bottom line is that if you don't like the way a forum is run and your complaints fall on deaf ears you have two options; stay or go.

as to your question about how is it possible to have the smartest rules, there is no answer to that because of what I stated above.

luck,

robert

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:04 am

Xerographica wrote:
How is it possible to have the smartest rules?
What's the smartest rules? I'm a hardass about uploading copyrighted material the user does not have the rights for which is pretty much anything unless they created it themselves or have the permission of creator. In my case a lot of it could be quite beneficial to users; manuals, original schematics, engineering books etc. I don't even allow memes, some would consider that over the top and they may be right. Down the road perhaps I'm the one that is right because a single file can cause a whole lot expense, especially for a smaller web site.

As far as "gravedigging" as general rule I don't have issue with this especially if someone is adding useful information or correcting something. I did have one member that would repeatedly bring up long dead topics to offer an opinion, that I put an end to after he did it a few times.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 am

The board I administrate experiences the opposite: the majority of newcomers don't reply to topics because they think it would be wrong if it's an older one. I tell them again and again that
  1. our rules nowhere mention that "gravedigging" is not allowed, and
  2. if we wouldn't want users to be able to reply we wouldn't give them the permissions to do so in the first place - if they experienced other boards where topics had a "reply" button and using it could lead to moderator warnings then the board is set up wrong and should have had the "locked" buttons to begin with.
Even topics half a decade old can have useful replies - I understand why all the forums for outdated phpBB versions here cut down permissions to read only, but it still comes with the disadvantage of being unable to still spread useful information. And, every now and again, users just use another forum to post because their target forum is locked.

(Note on terms: one board has 1 to many forums; phpBB has only topics, no threads)

John connor

Post by John connor » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:11 am

I've learned that each "forum" has its own rules and thus is a different community in of its self. Believe me. I've been warned and out right banned on some of the stupidest of trivial crap where on another board it be no two F's given.

On my forum I have no such policy of "grave digging." Though, now that you mention it, I should state that so others know. I saw it happen time and time again on other boards where a thread or "topic" was closed and I'm like, really?" They were adding information relevant to the discussion. So when I created my own board I vowed never to do that. I won't even invoke pruning. What I may do many, many years down the road, and if my database grows, is have some extension coded that will archive old topics and sent to Amazon AWS S3 glacier or what ever for storage. Then again, I could change database formats and find a host that would use it. Amazon AWS is probably at the top of the list since they are scalable.

However, if there are in fact multiple topics based on a topic that's already being discussed, I'll either merge or lock and indicate why with a link to the original topic.

Return to “General Discussion”