Google AI Computer Now Reigning Chess Champ

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Google AI Computer Now Reigning Chess Champ

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am
I can guarantee the girlfriend would tell the difference.
Depends on how she was programmed ;)

All jokes side: my GF is intelligent, good looking and very good company - yet something must be seriously wrong with her. Why else would she stay with a guy like me? :?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Mick wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am
and programmed with everything that’s in the humans head.
They don't do that. If it were regular computer you would need to give it bunch of endless rules in structured format. If there is no rule it can't provide the answer. With AI you feed it encyclopedia, science journals, medical journals..... the entire library of Congress. It's programmed to analyze that data and come to it's own conclusion what the answer is.

There is no rule that says the color of Dorothy's shoes are ruby red but if you asked an AI computer it could give you the answer.

Going back to the chess computer:
Indeed, much like humans, AlphaZero searches fewer positions that its predecessors. The paper claims that it looks at "only" 80,000 positions per second, compared to Stockfish's 70 million per second.
Back in the 90's when Deep Blue beat Kasperov it was a demonstration of raw computational power which is something computers have always excelled at. However it's not "smarter" than a computer built in 40's, the big difference is the 40's computer would take an eternity to calculate it's move. The AI computer is not doing that, it's analyzing the positions and choosing what calculations to make based on it's previous knowledge of playing chess. This computer played itself repeatedly and the first games it played against itself would of been akin to watching infants playing the game. Every game it plays it gets better.

There would of been enormous amount processing before the game to do this but once it learned that is no longer needed.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It’s the whole concept of coming to a conclusion on its own that bothers me, what if it’s the wrong one? I might be doom and gloom but I’m not a fan of AI ESPECIALLY AI LEFT TO ITS OWN DEVICES, somebody will do something bad with it.

Make no mistake someone will make a sentient automaton (sentience could ‘just happen’, it did with us) and then we’ll see what they’ve got their sights set on. We need to start drumming the four laws of robotics in to our kids now:
  • A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.
  • Everybody must learn to fire an AX50 to a specific degree of competency before the age of twelve.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Mick wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:53 pm
It’s the whole concept of coming to a conclusion on its own that bothers me, what if it’s the wrong one?
As I noted it can be wrong but the more it's wrong the more it is right. Also keep in mind if you have AI driving a car for example, when one car makes a mistake they all know the fix.
[*]Everybody must learn to fire an AX50 to a specific degree of competency before the age of twelve.
Come to Pennsylvania and I can set you up with similar rifle and much more. :D I suspect miniature drones are going to be the future threat militarily or otherwise, swarms of them working as one. If each one has small charge it becomes big boom if necessary. With 360 degree video recognition, IR, audio sensors and the ability to recognize minute changes in the input data I would suggest you stand no chance. The trick isn't making them deadly, it's making it smart enough to recognize what is and isn't a threat.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

This reminds me of a great TV show that was on many years ago called Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I watched every episode religiously. Sadly, the show was canceled after two or three seasons. It's well worth the watch and I did buy the DVDs, but it does end on a cliff hanger.

The reason why this topic reminds me of the TV show was that some guy that was into building computers to play chess had a really good computer and if I can remember right he may have been given a military contract or was apt to get one. So this was a possible threat to John Connor and crew as the beginnings of Skynet. Now we see in the movie Terminator Genisys that the precursor to Skynet was Genisys.

To me, this could be how AI becomes self-aware and thus the Singularity is achieved, i.e with a Genisys-like construct with smart devices and IoT. This is already being spearheaded by companies like Amazon, Google, Boston Dynamics et al.

We WILL see AI going forward, but I think the biggest thing it needs to learn in its code is a little something called empathy. I'm pretty sure Stephen Hawking talked about all this, but I don't know what he said. I should do some reading. :)

Return to “General Discussion”