DNS Flag Day

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

DNS Flag Day

Post by thecoalman »

You may want to check your domains for this event as they may no longer resolve if not compliant. Test is available on the linked site.
<removed link>

The current DNS is unnecessarily slow and inefficient because of efforts to accommodate a few DNS systems that are not in compliance with DNS standards established two decades ago.

To ensure further sustainability of the system it is time to end these accommodations and remediate the non-compliant systems. This change will make most DNS operations slightly more efficient, and also allow operators to deploy new functionality, including new mechanisms to protect against DDoS attacks.

DNS software and service providers listed on this site have agreed to coordinate removing accommodations for non-compliant DNS implementations from their software or services, on or around February 1st 2019. This change will affect only sites operating non-compliant software.
Last edited by thecoalman on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This event has already occurred if you domains are working properly you are good to go. I've removed the link as it's apparently giving false results.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: DNS Flag Day

Post by P_I »

Thanks for the reminder. Check my domains and all good to go.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

All okay here.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

All good here too, thanks for the HU
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

All OK. Not that one of my sites gets that much traffic anyway, it's mainly just for fun and testing. My company's internal I'm not even bothering since it's not internet accessible. :P
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
gflex1

Post by gflex1 »

don't understood... for my sites I run cloudflare. they are listed as a major dns providers. But I get "SLOW" error...
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

We got a decent host as I can see.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

who are those people? not sure how accurate that is.

I have several domains all listed under one main domain name as add-on domains.

the main one shows slow and big problem. all of the domains under that one show as good.

phpbb.com gives the same very slow big problem message .

something strange about that.

robert
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

John connor wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:21 am All okay here.
I must've spoke too soon because now my domain says it's slow. Yet I don't have any issues going to my site. Nevertheless, I'll bring it to the attention of my domain provider and see what they say.

They rank Google as fast of course. Apple.com is slow as well.
Last edited by 2600 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

gflex1 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:11 am don't understood... for my sites I run cloudflare. they are listed as a major dns providers. But I get "SLOW" error...
I wouldn't classify CloudFlare as a DNS provider. They are merely a middle man so to speak. They are just a reverse proxy. Your domain provider would be where you bought your domain from. Whether that be directly with your host or a third-party like Namesilo, Namecheap or GoDaddy, etc.

When you request a site sitting behind CloudFlare your request first goes to your domain provider, then your settings there route it to CloudFlare where they in turn route it to your host.

Edit-

The dnsflagday.net website does say CloudFlare will be making changes, but I use CloudFlare and my site still shows up slow. So it has to be Namesilo in my case. I have sent them an email.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

This event has already occurred and if your domains are working correctly it's no longer a concern.

Why the slow error I have no idea but I'm getting same error and I didn't get that before. Ran a few speed checks on other sites and no issues. The slow error can probably safely be ignored.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

I also get that error. When I look at the report, it says that I'm using cloudflare DNS, and I don't even use cloudflare ....

Code: Select all

solidjeuh.be. @173.245.58.105 (dana.ns.cloudflare.com.): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=ok edns@512=ok ednsopt=ok edns1opt=ok do=ok ednsflags=ok docookie=ok edns512tcp=ok optlist=ok,nsid,subnet (4m177)
solidjeuh.be. @2400:cb00:2049:1::adf5:3a69 (dana.ns.cloudflare.com.): dns=timeout edns=timeout edns1=timeout edns@512=timeout ednsopt=timeout edns1opt=timeout do=timeout ednsflags=timeout docookie=timeout edns512tcp=ok optlist=timeout
These are the DNS server that I use:

This test is totally wrong!
See: https://www.ultratools.com/tools/dnsLookup and check solidjeuh.be
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

John connor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:19 am I wouldn't classify CloudFlare as a DNS provider.
Yes they would be, they aren't the man in the middle. They are part of a chain and in this case the final link.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

John connor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:19 am When you request a site sitting behind CloudFlare your request first goes to your domain provider, then your settings there route it to CloudFlare where they in turn route it to your host.
I believe it's accurate to say that if you have done all of the steps, you have switched over to using Cloudflare for your DNS services, too. Which "makes sense", given that one of the DDoS protections they're intending to provide is DNS flood protection, and they couldn't do that if you were still using your own DNS services.

If you're on a plan where you've intentionally setup Cloudflare by just pointing your own existing DNS records to Cloudflare, the primary caveat is that they won't be able to provide any DNS service-level protections.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Today:

solidjeuh.be: All Ok!
This domain is perfectly ready, you do not need to worry about DNS flag day 2019.
Your DNS administrator is doing a good job, send them a sincere thank you ;-)

All very strange :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”