DNS Flag Day

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: DNS Flag Day

Post by 3Di » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:55 pm

3Di wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 am
We got a decent host as I can see.
http://prntscr.com/ms22t2

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:09 am

thecoalman wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:56 pm
John connor wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:19 am
I wouldn't classify CloudFlare as a DNS provider.
Yes they would be, they aren't the man in the middle. They are part of a chain and in this case the final link.
It is as I say it is. They are a "middle man." When you make a request to your domain, it hits your domain register first. Then from there it's routed to CloudFlare and then CloudFlare contacts your host.

I say man in the middle because they are a reverse proxy. They stand in the middle of your host and domain provider.

EA117 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:53 pm
I believe it's accurate to say that if you have done all of the steps, you have switched over to using Cloudflare for your DNS services, too. Which "makes sense", given that one of the DDoS protections they're intending to provide is DNS flood protection, and they couldn't do that if you were still using your own DNS services.

If you're on a plan where you've intentionally setup Cloudflare by just pointing your own existing DNS records to Cloudflare, the primary caveat is that they won't be able to provide any DNS service-level protections.
I've read both articles and I'm properly setup.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:14 am

John connor wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:09 am
It is as I say it is. They are a "middle man." When you make a request to your domain, it hits your domain register first. Then from there it's routed to CloudFlare and then CloudFlare contacts your host.

I say man in the middle because they are a reverse proxy. They stand in the middle of your host and domain provider.
Your registrar is used to list the nameservers, a critical link in the DNS chain. A nameserver can be located anywhere including the registrar, your own server etc., you can even have multiple nameservers for backup but typically two are listed. As far CF goes unless you are on the enterprise or business plan you are required to use their nameservers if you want to utilize their proxy service. The nameserver is not a man in the middle service.

What a nameserver does is hold all the records specific for that domain and what IP to use. In CF's panel you can decide how traffic is handled and whether it is proxied or not, for example the hostname cannot be proxied if you are using it for email.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:16 am

I didn't say the name server was the man in the middle. CloudFlare is!

I have used CloudFlare for about 4 years now.

Return to “General Discussion”