Service Pack 2-- yay or nay?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
SolarFX

Service Pack 2-- yay or nay?

Post by SolarFX »

I've been thinking deep into this, and I get different opinions from many people, some people say you shouldn't upgrade to SP2, and others say yes.

The people that say no say it because they think it's another way for Microsoft to put a lock on you. The people that say get it say it because it blocks popups well.

Well... I use Firefox, and that's not much of a reason. The biggest reason would be for the security, however, if I've got Norton Anivirus and Internet Protection 2005, do I have anything at all to gain from SP2?

I didn't do much research into this. See, here is the real deal (or maybe not, you'll never know), my freind doesn't have entirely legal files on his computer, and he wants to know if he can upgrade and if Microsoft will put the pinch on him. I don't think they can really do that, but I've heard from too many people that they can.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

If you want to remain secure you will have to get SP2 sometime,

If your that concered about Microsoft, there are other vendors,
no matter what people say about them it never eventuates into the doom of the world and we all move on,

SP2 has the security centre, and some updates and things for other programs require SP2 for some reason, it is a worthwhile upgrade tho
Systems Engineering
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Get the upgrade and there's a 50/50 chance you may run into a problem. There's plenty of horror stories on SP2 but the fact is that it has a whole bunch of updates roled into one nice package. Idealy you would start with a fresh install of XP and then update to SP2 and you'll run into very, very little problems (in fact I haven't heard of any if you do it that way).

For some reason SP2 messes with your computer much more if you've had XP for a long time. Of course it's kind of stupid situation to have to back everything up just to ensure you don't run into problems down the line. For the most part the worst thing that can happen is you have to uninstall and reinstall a program if it doesn't work. There are few more worse things that I've heard but they're rare.

Also for certain p2p programs and such SP2 messed with them a lot when it first came out. However most have updated by now with work arounds of little annoyances.
keepsedge

Post by keepsedge »

sp2 makes major registry edits and causes some edited keys back to their default values. It aslo changes the OS in many ways.

It is best to start with XP as a fresh install, then do the updates then reinstall all of your sofware.

You should not have any problems that way
Canis_Latrans

Re: Service Pack 2-- yay or nay?

Post by Canis_Latrans »

SolarFX wrote: my freind doesn't have entirely legal files on his computer, and he wants to know if he can upgrade and if Microsoft will put the pinch on him. I don't think they can really do that, but I've heard from too many people that they can.

I believe Windows Update checks the CD key you used when you installed Windows and if it's a known pirated CD key you are unable to install the service pack. That's how it worked with SP1, and I've been told it's like that for SP2 as well. I can't confirm though, my computer came with a legal copy pre-installed.
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

There's absolutely no reason for a home user to not upgrade to Service Pack 2 immediately. Computers on large networks obviously need to be tested before any sort of mass upgrade is performed, but no home user should be without SP2 at this point.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
prince_of_oreon

Post by prince_of_oreon »

I've gotten SP2, and since I have a de facto legitimate copy of XP everything is fine.
G-Dub

Post by G-Dub »

RE the Illegal copy of XP point:

Microsoft initially stated that SP2 would work on all copies of Windows, irrespective of it being legal or otherwise. Thy then made a U-turn and declared that there would be key verification built in. However, in the end, they made a selfless decision to allow anyone to install SP2.
Yoxio.com :: Free Image Hosting
"OSX: The $2000 operating system with a free computer"
CRTicas Admin

Post by CRTicas Admin »

The only thing I can't figure out since I upgraded to SP2 that pisses me off is that when I go to open my pictures folder or my music folders It blocks the active x control page on the left from opening and I have to do it manually. I have tried everything to let it open but NO GOOD!... Wish I had a answer otherwise there isn't to much different except some added security.
SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

G-Dub wrote: However, in the end, they made a selfless decision to allow anyone to install SP2.

Well that's a bit suspicious.... :roll:

Yeah... umm... I've got a lot of high end graphics programs running on my computer that I don't necessarily have the 85 discs to install them all... so it looks like I'm screwed. :?

My friend... now I'm more worried for him....
faze1337

Re: Service Pack 2-- yay or nay?

Post by faze1337 »

SolarFX wrote: I've been thinking deep into this, and I get different opinions from many people, some people say you shouldn't upgrade to SP2, and others say yes.

The people that say no say it because they think it's another way for Microsoft to put a lock on you. The people that say get it say it because it blocks popups well.

Well... I use Firefox, and that's not much of a reason. The biggest reason would be for the security, however, if I've got Norton Anivirus and Internet Protection 2005, do I have anything at all to gain from SP2?

I didn't do much research into this. See, here is the real deal (or maybe not, you'll never know), my freind doesn't have entirely legal files on his computer, and he wants to know if he can upgrade and if Microsoft will put the pinch on him. I don't think they can really do that, but I've heard from too many people that they can.

5 of my pcs are using sp2 nothing worng
Sparsely
I've Been Banned!

Post by Sparsely »

sp2? neh.
you can get all the requried security updates manually, and without all the extraneous 'OMG N00B WE MUST PROTECT YOU!!" services and compatibility problems.
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

You mean the ones you can simply disable, right?

One download sounds a wee bit easier to my ears.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
GargoyleK1

Post by GargoyleK1 »

I have it and have had no problems.... Except that darn "Active X Blocker" mentioned earlier. I dunno it seems worth it since they are willing to fix what they sold us without us having to go out and buy brand new update discs..

But thats just me..
Sparsely
I've Been Banned!

Post by Sparsely »

Kanuck wrote: You mean the ones you can simply disable, right?

One download sounds a wee bit easier to my ears.

lazy :roll: :P

Return to “General Discussion”