lifesavvy wrote:I tried to google some answers about FOX. Why is it considered so biased and not trusted? Cam someone explain? (provide me with examples please)
There are those that will ask the same thing about any network. Just replace FOX with CNN, CBS, etc.
If you're a liberal, you're more likely to call Fox biased. If you're a conservative, you'll call CBS and CNN biased.
So it's impossible
for FOXNews to actually be more biased than other channels? You rule out that possibility without even bothering to seriously examine it? Why?
FOXNews has repeatedly aired the views of Ann Coulter, whose views are so radical that she makes Michael Moore and Bill O'Reilly seem like two of the most reasonable people on Earth. The Hannity and Colmes show is a joke, where a centrist who barely gets any airtime anyway is pitted against a full-blown flag-waving hard-right Republican party-line pusher.
And what of facts like this?
The numbers show an overwhelming slant on Fox towards both Republicans and conservatives. Of the 56 partisan guests on Special Report between January and May, 50 were Republicans and six were Democrats -- a greater than 8 to 1 imbalance. In other words, 89 percent of guests with a party affiliation were Republicans.
On Special Report, 65 of the 92 guests (71 percent) were avowed conservatives--that is, conservatives outnumbered representatives of all other points of view, including non-political guests, by a factor of more than 2 to 1. While FAIR did not break down the non-conservative guests by ideology, there were few avowed liberals or progressives among the small non-conservative minority; instead, there was a heavy emphasis on centrist and center-right pundits (David Gergen, Norman Ornstein, Lou Dobbs) and politicians (Sen. John Breaux, Sen. Bob Graham, Rep. Christopher Shays).
As a comparison, FAIR also studied the one-on-one newsmaker interviews on CNN's Wolf Blitzer Reports over the same time period, and found a modest but significant tilt towards Republicans, and a disproportionate minority of guests who were conservatives--but in both cases, there was far more balance than was found on Special Report.
Of Blitzer's 67 partisan guests, 38 were Republicans and 29 were Democrats -- a 57 percent to 43 percent split in favor of Republicans. Thirty-five out of 109 guests (32 percent) were avowed conservatives, with the remaining 68 percent divided up among the rest of the political spectrum, from center-right to left.
FOXNews tries really hard to convince you that they're 'fair and balanced". To me, this is like a salesmen who expends a great deal of effort trying to convince you he's honest. The harder he tries, the more suspicious you should be. And when you look at the facts, lo and behold, they don't match the claims.