FOX news: Are they really that biased?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Jon Reid

Post by Jon Reid »

KennyT0711 wrote: Spoken like a true right winger :wink:

If you choose to infer that I lean right from that post, then you do that :? The only time I'd ever give FOX the light of day is when I'm bored as hell flicking through news channels on Sky and need a laugh- it's the most pathetic 'news' network available to man.

I saw a video recently of Ann Coulter commenting on Canada's continued 'luck' at being 'allowed' to exist on the same continent as the US- and they still let this foul mouthed idiot on their network?
Administrator of Star Trek Online || Moderator of The Admin Zone
KennyT0711

Post by KennyT0711 »

Jon Reid wrote:
KennyT0711 wrote: Spoken like a true right winger :wink:

If you choose to infer that I lean right from that post, then you do that :? The only time I'd ever give FOX the light of day is when I'm bored as hell flicking through news channels on Sky and need a laugh- it's the most pathetic 'news' network available to man.

I saw a video recently of Ann Coulter commenting on Canada's continued 'luck' at being 'allowed' to exist on the same continent as the US- and they still let this foul mouthed idiot on their network?

Just yankin your chain Jon Reid... I meant nothing by it.

And Graphic you are correct. Don't believe everything you read, hear, or see. Form your own opinions on matters that are important to you.
"Take it all in...it's as big as it seems... count all your blessings... remember your dreams."
Toe Jam

Post by Toe Jam »

[Edited by Draegonis: Author didn't have anything worthwhile to say. Please see this topic: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=220012 ]
calebrw

Re: FOX news: Are they really that biased?

Post by calebrw »

Darth Wong wrote: FOXNews has repeatedly aired the views of Ann Coulter, whose views are so radical that she makes Michael Moore and Bill O'Reilly seem like two of the most reasonable people on Earth. The Hannity and Colmes show is a joke, where a centrist who barely gets any airtime anyway is pitted against a full-blown flag-waving hard-right Republican party-line pusher.
I saw her depate some dude on C-SPAN and there were times when I nearly puked....

Now, my opinion is that FoxNews is more biased than other networks, but its probably not true, I'm sure CNN, etc. are just as biased, just in a way I'm more likely to agree with. Although if I had my choice, M(innesota)PR/N(ational)PR would provide the main stream news content, they, in my opinion, are far more fair when it comes to just about everything.
Caleb Williams
My Photography:
http://blog.calebwilliamsphotography.com
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

calebrw wrote: I saw her depate some dude on C-SPAN and there were times when I nearly puked....

The fact that she actually gets airtime on a national network despite her insane views shows how much America in general has moved to the right. You would need someone ranting that George W. Bush should be executed for treason in order to balance her out on the Left, and I haven't heard anyone being allowed to express such radical views while still getting national network TV exposure.
Now, my opinion is that FoxNews is more biased than other networks, but its probably not true, I'm sure CNN, etc. are just as biased, just in a way I'm more likely to agree with.

Actually, every study I've seen shows that FOXNews is indeed much more biased than other networks, based on their ratios of guest commentators with party affiliations. It is merely the "Golden Mean Fallacy" that causes people to assume that other networks are just as biased to the left as FOXNews is to the right.
Although if I had my choice, M(innesota)PR/N(ational)PR would provide the main stream news content, they, in my opinion, are far more fair when it comes to just about everything.

FOXNews fans would no doubt tell you that they think NPR is a radical leftist organization.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
calebrw

Post by calebrw »

Darth Wong wrote:
calebrw wrote:I saw her depate some dude on C-SPAN and there were times when I nearly puked....

The fact that she actually gets airtime on a national network despite her insane views shows how much America in general has moved to the right. You would need someone ranting that George W. Bush should be executed for treason in order to balance her out on the Left, and I haven't heard anyone being allowed to express such radical views while still getting national network TV exposure.
While I do feel that the American Society has, in general shifted right, the public exposure part seems a bit ridiculous, she was depating a leftist and many of her view were quite unpopular with the audience. So really what i'm getting at is that with the right, everything is black and white and with the left there is a lot more color, IE the Greens. So you're either gonna have a too moderate rightist or a to extremist rightist, and i think the rebuplicans are picking the latter to repressent them.
Darth Wong wrote:
Now, my opinion is that FoxNews is more biased than other networks, but its probably not true, I'm sure CNN, etc. are just as biased, just in a way I'm more likely to agree with.

Actually, every study I've seen shows that FOXNews is indeed much more biased than other networks, based on their ratios of guest commentators with party affiliations. It is merely the "Golden Mean Fallacy" that causes people to assume that other networks are just as biased to the left as FOXNews is to the right.
But, let me guess, FoxNews claims that it is still fair and balanced the studies are leftist propoganda.
Darth Wong wrote:
Although if I had my choice, M(innesota)PR/N(ational)PR would provide the main stream news content, they, in my opinion, are far more fair when it comes to just about everything.

FOXNews fans would no doubt tell you that they think NPR is a radical leftist organization.
And i'll tell them where to kiss... :wink:
Caleb Williams
My Photography:
http://blog.calebwilliamsphotography.com
defender39

Post by defender39 »

Fox news rocks and Ann Coulter is HOT! Darth I am wrong or is your location really Canada? If so then it explains your biased view. I can watch CNN, Fox, or any new channel and understand that what they say is a point of view....an OPINION. Americans are usually smart enough to find their own intepretation. I can watch CBS to get one view...and then FOX to get the other...that seems to be fair and balanced to me. My opinion is that if it wasn't for FOX then the right wouldn't have a voice on TV...each side should have a voice and not just the side that you agree with.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

defender39 wrote: Fox news rocks and Ann Coulter is HOT!

This is your idea of a rebuttal to the fact that FOXNews maintains something like a 6:1 ratio of Republican guest commentators to Democrats, while CNN's ratio is closer to 40:60, thus disproving the claim that they're equally biased?
Darth I am wrong or is your location really Canada? If so then it explains your biased view. I can watch CNN, Fox, or any new channel and understand that what they say is a point of view....an OPINION.

And what makes you think that I don't understand this? The difference is that some are clearly more biased than others.
Americans are usually smart enough to find their own intepretation. I can watch CBS to get one view...and then FOX to get the other...that seems to be fair and balanced to me.

Actually, that's what logicians call a "Golden Mean Fallacy": assuming that the truth is always halfway between any given two viewpoints.
My opinion is that if it wasn't for FOX then the right wouldn't have a voice on TV...each side should have a voice and not just the side that you agree with.

Actually, good journalism should make every attempt to be impartial, rather than being flagrantly biased and accusing everyone else of doing the same thing (not to mention the fact that they make a point of advertising their "Fair and Balanced" nonsense when all of the numbers show that this is not remotely true).

Perhaps the next time you try to refute my argument, you could actually address its reasoning instead of just saying I'm wrong.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

If I may suggest a nice read for all of you: Manufacturing Consent by EDWARD S. HERMAN and NOAM CHOMSKY. If you are not patient enough to read (or lack the ability), you can just watch the documentary, which Michael Moore could learn something from about subtlety and objectiviy.
An absolutely brilliant analysis of the ways in which individuals and organizations of the media are influenced to shape the social agendas of knowledge and, therefore, belief. Contrary to the popular conception of members of the press as hard-bitten realists doggedly pursuing unpopular truths, Herman and Chomsky prove conclusively that the free-market economics model of media leads inevitably to normative and narrow reporting. Whether or not you've seen the eye-opening movie, buy this book, and you will be a far more knowledgeable person and much less prone to having your beliefs manipulated as easily as the press.

In this pathbreaking work, now with a new introduction, Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky show that, contrary to the usual image of the news media as cantankerous, obstinate, and ubiquitous in their search for truth and defense of justice, in their actual practice they defend the economic, social, and political agendas of the privileged groups that dominate domestic society, the state, and the global order.

Based on a series of case studies—including the media’s dichotomous treatment of “worthy” versus “unworthy” victims, “legitimizing” and “meaningless” Third World elections, and devastating critiques of media coverage of the U.S. wars against Indochina—Herman and Chomsky draw on decades of criticism and research to propose a Propaganda Model to explain the media’s behavior and performance. Their new introduction updates the Propaganda Model and the earlier case studies, and it discusses several other applications. These include the manner in which the media covered the passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement and subsequent Mexican financial meltdown of 1994-1995, the media’s handling of the protests against the World Trade Organization, World Bank, and International Monetary Fund in 1999 and 2000, and the media’s treatment of the chemical industry and its regulation. What emerges from this work is a powerful assessment of how propagandistic the U.S. mass media are, how they systematically fail to live up to their self-image as providers of the kind of information that people need to make sense of the world, and how we can understand their function in a radically new way.

/me awaits Noam Chomsky bashing 8)
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

defender39 wrote: Darth I am wrong or is your location really Canada? If so then it explains your biased view. I can watch CNN, Fox, or any new channel and understand that what they say is a point of view....an OPINION. Americans are usually smart enough to find their own intepretation.

Are you saying that all Canadians are biased, and not smart enough to form their own opinions?
I can watch CBS to get one view...and then FOX to get the other...that seems to be fair and balanced to me.

The problem is Fox presents its own content as fair and balanced, not its content and the competitors' content combined. Fox is obviously not going to tell their viewers to watch CBS so that they can get a fair and balanced view.
each side should have a voice and not just the side that you agree with.

You're right, each side should be able to present their views, but they shouldn't present their opinion as news or "balanced" when it's so obviously one sided.

Return to “General Discussion”