Die In Dreams

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Drunky

Die In Dreams

Post by Drunky »

What do you think of the theory that you will die in real life if you die in your dreams?

phpika

Post by phpika »

I have died in a dream before. It was many years ago. It was really weird, I was with some of my family, and they were standing on some pavement next to a dual carriageway. I can't remember why, but my family actually ended up getting run over. I didn't want to "live" without them, so, I ran out in front of the road and I remember getting run over by a white van. It suddenly all went black when the van hit me. Then I did what I always do to wake up from dreams, "closed" my eyes (I know they're already closed, but it feels like I'm closing them while dreaming) counted to 3 and then, hey presto, I was awake!
The Pika Club Website |pvpOnline|"I hope I didn't brain my damage" ~ Homer Simpson

Drunky

Post by Drunky »

Awhile ago I was stabbed by some guy and died. Then I just kept on dreaming about the guy who stabbed me. I have also been shot at least 6 times in dreams.

I was just wondering where this theory came from.

phpika

Post by phpika »

I don't know, but another thing I occasionally suffer from is where I seem to nearly die while awake.

I went to a doctor's about it a while ago, and he recognised the symptoms, but couldn't find the name for what it was. I'd love to know what the name was. I actually had it happen to me again this morning, it's very scary and not much is known about it, apparently it's triggered by anxiety, but it's Boxing Day, I'm relaxing, I've no worries, I've just had Christmas, so I don't know why it happened this morning :?

Anyway, what happens is I sort of "wake up" from a dream, where I can see everything around me, but I can't move, or breathe. This usually lasts for about 5-10 seconds, but while it's happening it feels like a lifetime and is very frightening, because I can see everything, but I can't move or breathe. Apparently, my doctor told me what happens is that my brain is still half "asleep" and I awaken too soon, not giving my brain enough time to deliver the messages to my muscles to move/breathe etc. I am actually breathing, my diaphragm is moving up and down, but I can't feel it.

It only happens about 6 months apart, maybe more, but if I go back to sleep too soon after it happens, it happens again. It's the most frightening thing. If anyone recognises this and can supply me with any information on it, I'd love to know.
The Pika Club Website |pvpOnline|"I hope I didn't brain my damage" ~ Homer Simpson

Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Sleep paralysis.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

I wish I paid more attention in psychology class. >_< At any rate, I don't know where that theory came from, but it is obviously not true. What's more interesting is these "night terrors." (Well, not interesting as much as they freakin scare you out of your wits) Normal REM sleep occurs in stage 2 as I recall, but night terrors, which normally occur half a dozen times at worst in your lifetime occur in stage 4 sleep, the deepest sleep, which is supposedly the most rejuvinating sleep.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Drunky

Post by Drunky »

I have weird dreams. Once when I was dreaming I told myself I would never do that and redreamed a certain part and changed the outcome. Then Christmas Eve I dreamed about everybody dying but me but I should have died in the dream since I did what another person in my dream did and they died.

I was in an airplane and I jumped out through a door and the person before me died from hitting the water. But I didn't die and a Great White shark was about to attack me then just sank back into the water.

Is it possible that I could somehow gain control of a dream and make it so that I don't die? (For example the shark part)

danb00

Post by danb00 »

well i had a few strange ones
2 weeks ago i was dreaing, i was in the kitchen and it was late afternoon and i dropped a cup and it broke (a yellow cup)
Well when i woke up i thought nothing of it, and it was late after noon and i was in the kitchen making myself a hot drink, put the hot water in the cup, picked the cup up and droped it becasue the drink was to hot. And it was the same yellow cup i broke in my dream

Strange or what?
phpBBModded.com - Modding phpBB

Heimidal
Former Team Member

Post by Heimidal »

Drunky wrote: I have weird dreams. Once when I was dreaming I told myself I would never do that and redreamed a certain part and changed the outcome. Then Christmas Eve I dreamed about everybody dying but me but I should have died in the dream since I did what another person in my dream did and they died.

I was in an airplane and I jumped out through a door and the person before me died from hitting the water. But I didn't die and a Great White shark was about to attack me then just sank back into the water.

Is it possible that I could somehow gain control of a dream and make it so that I don't die? (For example the shark part)

When I was about 15 or 16 I was really in to the study of pagan religion, especially Druidism. I started meditating daily and eventually found that it was exactly what I needed in order to relax myself. After a while, I began meditating before bed, which for whatever reason (I'm not going to try and analyze the effects of meditation) caused my dreams to be very vivid.

A few weeks of this and I found that I was able to control my dreams explicitly. If something didn't seem plausible, I would simply 'rewind' the dream and change it. If I was being chased by something, I could wish it away. Once, while having the "naked in school" dream, I was able to will myself to have clothes.

So, is it plausible you can control your dreams? Absolutely.

Fubonis

Post by Fubonis »

L-L-L-L-Lucid dreaming.
phpBB, more like idon'tlikeyouorwhatyoupostedsoi'lllockyourtopicandthendeleteitBB m i rite???

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

a dream in which i'm dying is the best i've ever had.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

TC wrote: a dream in which i'm dying is the best i've ever had.

Donnie Darko?

Drunky

Post by Drunky »

Although, that dream was probably the weirdest I ever had and not because I was able to rewind it.

The other one was just weird that I wasn't dying.

G-Dub

Post by G-Dub »

I always look upon theories like this as being incorrect, you will never know unless it happens to yourself, and you then cannot relay this information to anyone.

It's like how can you say you have a deadly nut allergy when you haven't died from eating nuts :?
Yoxio.com :: Free Image Hosting
"OSX: The $2000 operating system with a free computer"

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

G-Dub wrote: I always look upon theories like this as being incorrect, you will never know unless it happens to yourself, and you then cannot relay this information to anyone.

It's like how can you say you have a deadly nut allergy when you haven't died from eating nuts :?

G-Dub: Not sure what you are trying to say here, but let's take another example. I have asthma. The doctor diagnosed it as acute chronic asthma. Asthma attacks causes the airways to constrict, occasionally causing fluid to enter the lungs, and potentially leading to death due to suffocation or asphyixiation. Anaphlaxis (allergic reaction) does similar things. It causes the lungs to no longer accept the oxygen needed due to constriction of the airways, swelling, hives, and a slew of other possibilities which could potentially lead to death. So ... a peanut allergy could be deadly, just as asthma is deadly. However, you can die only once so there is no going back and relabeling a harmless allergy to a deadly allergy.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Return to “General Discussion”