Charging users to start forum threads - has anyone found an attractive way to do this?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Theonardo

Charging users to start forum threads - has anyone found an attractive way to do this?

Post by Theonardo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:38 am

Hey guys,

I'll post this to general, because I think there may be several possible ways to go about doing this and perhaps some will come out of this discussion. I am wondering if anyone has thought of a way to charge users per post to their site, or --in my specific case-- found a way to charge users only if they start new threads?

One way to do it would be to charge users to become a class of user that exclusively has the phpbb permission to start new threads, but it would be difficult to automate this so that as soon as the user pays they have the capability. Instead, you would have to have users apply to a moderator, pay through the moderator, and have the moderator adjust their permissions accordingly. The other problem is that this isn't really a 'pay per post' arrangement, but more a 'subscribe to this account type' arrangement.

I need 'pay per post' because I want to set up a job find forum for my industry that allows potential employers to post paid threads for their jobs and job seekers to post replies free of charge. Employers could post ten job ads a day if they want to, but I want to charge for each of these and not simply charge a general fee for a privileged account.

Has anyone else found a way to do something similar? There do not seem to be any appropriate php bb modifications as far as I can see.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: Charging users to start forum threads - has anyone found an attractive way to do this?

Post by david63 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:29 am

I seem to recall that there was/is an extension that links subscriptions to Auto Groups and not sure if there was/is another extension that limits the number of posts per account per day (although that may have just been a question). Whether you would be able to be able to get these to work together I really would not know. I suspect that it would be easier all round to use a monthly type of subscription rather than a "pay per post" system - possibly "bank" some money that allows x number of posts.

The other point is how big a job would it be to do it manually? How many "new" users/postings would you be expecting per day? I don't know the circumstances of your new board but it is totally new then I suspect that it will take some time to gain momentum.

I think that you would also need to consider who could see the replies - not sure that you would want to allow everybody to see who had replied nor would somebody want the whole world to know that they were looking for another job.

Overall I don't think that phpBB is necessarily the right tool for what you are trying to do and there may well be other software more suited to doing this.

Harewood

Re: Charging users to start forum threads - has anyone found an attractive way to do this?

Post by Harewood » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Very interesting, I was wondering the same but for 'industry related support posts', where the payment goes to the member who successfully answers the post?
Would like to know if anyone manages to get anywhere with this ;)

Return to “General Discussion”