phpBB migration

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Harewood

phpBB migration

Post by Harewood » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi everyone,
Our web host has presented us with the following:
On November 30, 2020, CentOS will stop supporting CentOS 6 on all systems, including your server. At that time CentOS will no longer provide bug, security, or feature updates. We encourage you to migrate to a server using CentOS 7 before November 30, 2020. Information about cPanel deprecation plan is available in our documentation.

Only system administrators (root and root-level resellers) see this message.
Has anyone else experienced this and can offer any kind of solution / advice / best practice?

Many thanks,
Jason

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: phpBB migration

Post by david63 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:33 pm

phpBB 3.2.5 runs just fine on CentOS 7 - your host should be able to migrate you over - it took me all of about 15 minutes to move all my domains over.

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:38 pm

Yes, I'm also using Centos7. Should not be a problem to move your forum.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:49 pm

your host should do this automatically for you at no charge etc.
and you should not even be aware of when they do it unless you just happen to be making a post or something at the moment they move your site.
if they don't then you need to find a new host before they make the change.

robert

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:54 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:49 pm
you should not even be aware of when they do it unless you just happen to be making a post or something at the moment they move your site.
That is not necessarily true as the server will, in all probability, be on a different IP address so the site will need to propagate. The other option would be for the host to "rebuild" the same server which will take some time.

P_I

Post by P_I » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:42 am

Harewood wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:19 pm
Has anyone else experienced this and can offer any kind of solution / advice / best practice?
As someone running phpBB 3.2.5 on CentOS 7, I can say without hesitation that it works fine, with one caveat.

This shouldn't be a problem if your hosting provider is on the ball. But just in case you should be aware that CentOS 7 ships with PHP 5.4.16, (source: http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7.6.181 ... /Packages/).

A commonly accepted solution comes from [SOLVED] highest PHP version supported on CentOS 7 - CentOS
mghe on the CentOS forum wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:45 am
You can install PHP 7.x from remi repo:

https://rpms.remirepo.net/wizard/
My host also uses CentOS 7.x as the baseline and I use it for all my localhost testbed machines. My hosting provider offers PHP 7.0.x as a configurable option via cPanel vs a "default" of PHP 5.6.x IIRC. On my localhost environment I use the remi repo to get PHP 7.0.x.

I would ask you hosting provider to confirm what PHP version(s) will be available to you once you move to CentOS 7.

Harewood

Post by Harewood » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Thank you for every ones replies, much appreciated. We are now considering moving to a new hosting company, any recommendations?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:01 pm

We cannot really recommend a host, but we do recommend that you visit WebHostingTalk.

Return to “General Discussion”