Why forum over Facebook?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
KYPREO

Re: Why forum over Facebook?

Post by KYPREO »

I believe that the 80% figure refers to internet users who have a smartphone. Internet traffic is running at around 52% mobile, but this includes all internet traffic, a large part of which is commercial infrastructure and private networks. Around 70% of web traffic is on mobile.

That said, I agree it will vary site by site. Looking purely at page views, my site is running at 55-60% mobile, 5% tablet and 35-40% desktop which seems consistent with the stats David shared. Boards with a different subject matter, eg software/tech related like this one, will likely have a greater percentage of desktop users because they're predisposed to desktop by virtue of their personal interests or because that is their job.

The massive traffic I've lost over the past 5 years is a direct result of users ditching their desktop for personal browsing in favour of smartphones. They still own and use desktop browsers and use them for work but their time spent on personal interests and shopping is mostly done on phones. These are the users who are no longer using forums. It's as much about a change in culture of interaction on the internet as it is about Facebook. All the kids these days arent even on Facebook.

Ps. For what it's worth, i wrote this post on a phone!

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

KYPREO wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:29 am
i wrote this post on a phone!
That's an impressive counter example to me - I mostly assume all spelling mistakes, wrong words, spaces before punctuation, missing punctuation, lazyness of text details, lack of text input at all, and more all derive from using an onscreen keyboard.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I wonder how much of the 52% or the 70% quoted is based on stuff like WhatsApp and iMessage? I don’t use a smartphone for such things as phpBB but it certainly gets hammered with messaging. I would say that 90% of my phone usage is web based messaging.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Mick wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:53 pm
<snip> I would say that 90% of my phone usage is web based messaging.
I would estimate 90% of my phone use is using it as a phone, 9% texting and the remaining 1% looking at the map.

I find using it to post on phpBB near to impossible. My sausage fingers hit at least 3 'buttons' at the same time, and even using a capacitive pen doesn't make it that easy for me. I like a screen and a proper keyboard so I have at least a sporting chance of typing what my brain is thinking.

Oh, and I think the question here has an error in it, shouldn't it be "Why Facebook?" :lol:

Scorpy

Post by Scorpy »

PoliFactsGlobal wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:48 pm
Biggest reason for me - I is have 100% Complete control, and not subject to FB rules!
Same here.

JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

When we optimized our phpbb2 board for mobile devices awhile back it had a great result for us as well as a big increase in mobile traffic. Also resulted in an increase in traffic from FB too.

Return to “General Discussion”