eu copyright reform article 13

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Anthony120

eu copyright reform article 13

Post by Anthony120 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:19 pm

Hello Support Team,

I wanted to ask, knows a awas of the New Law of article 13 what!

Does that mean that we are not an extension of youtube
may download more or!
Can one tell me if that also applies to my forum?

I would be happy to receive a nice answer

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: eu copyright reform article 13

Post by stevemaury » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:33 pm

No one can tell you anything until it is finalized and passed, which it is not.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Anthony120

Post by Anthony120 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi stevemaury,

Thank you very much, for your quick super response. That means we have to wait until it comes, right?
Thank you for your nice reply.

LaxSlash1993

Post by LaxSlash1993 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:13 am

So I'm gonna go ahead and bump this based off of yesterday's events.

We're probably going to need some more EU compliancy extensions built:
- Link detections and removal request form/process
- Upload filters for attachments

Organizations are exempt from the new passed laws ONLY if they meet *all three* of the following criteria:
  • A startup that has been active for less than three years
  • A Website with an annual turnover below €10 million
  • A website with less than 5 million monthly unique visitors
A Geoblock extension would also be nice... it's about high time for thatone, honestly... :/ (or maybe an extension that only blocks the IPs of the EU enforcement agencies would work too... ;) )

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:39 am

I would suggest that the number of boards/websites that don't meet all three of those things would be somewhere less than 1% of the total number of phpbb installs around the world.

along with the fact that it would only apply to boards/sites in the EU, I don't see much need for adding any of that to the code.
extensions, yeah, if anyone wants to do that and make them available to the few sites that might need them is probably a great idea.

robert

LaxSlash1993

Post by LaxSlash1993 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:56 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:39 am
I would suggest that the number of boards/websites that don't meet all three of those things would be somewhere less than 1% of the total number of phpbb installs around the world.
There's plenty of phpBB boards that have been around for longer than three years, though...
along with the fact that it would only apply to boards/sites in the EU,
SInce the fail that was/is the GDPR, we're in a place where the EU enforces its laws in a globalist manner Also, there's this little tid-bit in the new trade deal that the EU's working out with the USA, for example:

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/01 ... ctives.pdf

Specifically:

Code: Select all

Intellectual Property (IPR):
     - Seek to obtain, consistent with U.S. priorities and objectives, appropriate commitments that
reflect the shared U.S.-EU objective of high-level IPR protection and enforcement and to sustain
and enhance joint leadership on IPR issues.
     - Seek new opportunities to advance and defend the interests of U.S. creators, innovators,
businesses, farmers, and workers with respect to strong protection and effective enforcement of
intellectual property rights, including their ability to compete in foreign markets.
     - Prevent the undermining of market access for U.S. products through the improper use of a
country’s system for protecting or recognizing geographical indications, including any failure to
ensure transparency and procedural fairness, or adequately protect generic terms for common
use. 
tl;dr - Unlike the GDPR, this could have some real legal throwaround weight in the USA.
I don't see much need for adding any of that to the code.
extensions, yeah, if anyone wants to do that and make them available to the few sites that might need them is probably a great idea.

robert
Me neither, and I really hope that it's not added to the core code. I'm saying that someone should probably make these extensions before we get people asking when this will be implemented.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:09 am

LaxSlash1993 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:13 am
Organizations are exempt from the new passed laws ONLY if they meet *all three* of the following criteria:
  • A startup that has been active for less than three years
  • A Website with an annual turnover below €10 million
  • A website with less than 5 million monthly unique visitors
Firstly I doubt that there are many boards, if any, that would meet the second and third of those criteria - and if they did they would have the resources to deal with it. So that only leaves the first one and one [simple] way would be to change the start date every three years.

Again this is another proposed piece of legislation that is aimed at the "big boys" and it is unlikely that the EU will be going after a phpBB board that posts a copyright image once a month.

I accept that there may be some boards where there are many postings of copyright material but the answer is simple, for all boards, - you create a board rule that any copyrighted material is acknowledged and where it isn't your Moderators remove it with warnings/bannings if necessary.
LaxSlash1993 wrote:
A Geoblock extension would also be nice... it's about high time for thatone
Cannot be done as there is no correlation between an IP address and a location together with the fact that there are (or at least last time I looked) no reliable free unlimited IP lookup databases.

CHItA
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by CHItA » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:40 pm

LaxSlash1993 wrote:
We're probably going to need some more EU compliancy extensions built:
- Link detections and removal request form/process
- Upload filters for attachments
I think it is just easier if you forget about upload filters, it is basically technologically impossible to do so if you are worried about that, just close your board and move on with your life (as text can be copyright protected too probably you would need an "upload filter" for posts too, right?).

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:14 am

LaxSlash1993 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:56 am
SInce the fail that was/is the GDPR, we're in a place where the EU enforces its laws in a globalist manner Also, there's this little tid-bit in the new trade deal that the EU's working out with the USA, for example:
Any US company that does not have a physical or financial presence in the EU is not subject to EU law without a agreement or treaty by the US government. Executive agreements are non binding and binding treaties are not something easy to obtain as they require 2/3 vote in the US Senate. The chances of the US government imposing EU law on US citizens is slim to none. Even a similar US law would have a snowball's chance in hell at this given time.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:24 am

david63 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:09 am
Cannot be done as there is no correlation between an IP address and a location together with the fact that there are (or at least last time I looked) no reliable free unlimited IP lookup databases.
You can do this reliably with Cloudflare with very little resources. You can block by country code at the edge or they send header with the country of origin so you can easily block on your own server. Within phpBB If you wanted to edit core files you can do it with a few lines of code.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Discussion”