Submitting forum to a google search engine?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
deepndark

Submitting forum to a google search engine?

Post by deepndark » Mon May 20, 2019 9:23 am

Hello, I was searching my forum with a google search by typing "reason forum" but my site was not found with these words. Is there a good guide how to get my site listed in the google search? I want my site to be found when someone searches for "reason forum" as my forum url DOES have these both words in it. ( http://reasonheads.com/forum/ )
The google search console thing, is that the only way, and if it is, is there a step by step guide or youtube tutorial that how to do it properly?

Thanks!

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Submitting forum to a google search engine?

Post by david63 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:36 am

deepndark wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:23 am
Is there a good guide how to get my site listed in the google search?
Yes - plenty of relevant content, and patience. Google will index your board eventually and when it finds it then you will be in the search results but you need to keep getting more posts with the relevant keywords in the content to get higher up the rankings.

You are also better off not using "common" search terms but having something that is unique. Searching for "widgets" will give thousands of results but searching for "green right handed widgets" will yield only a few results.

There is no magic formula to get to the top of the search results - if there was then everybody would be at the top.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon May 20, 2019 10:51 am

Further to David's point about relevant posts, you don't have a very high 'keyword' count for what your site is actually about. The word 'reason' on its own is not going to get a good result because it's not a very unique word. That's also a bit of a fault of the software makers as they would get better results if they'd come up with a quirky word or spelling of it.

I had to do a bit of googling to even find out what Reason was. None of the forums, descriptions or posts actually mention that. It would help to have at least 'reason music editing software' somewhere on the front page. Or even a post that says welcome to the site, this is for people using ..... and then fully describe what the site is for and make sure that forum is indexed by the bots.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon May 20, 2019 12:37 pm

KevC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:51 am
It would help to have at least 'reason music editing software' somewhere on the front page
‘Propellerhead Reason’ may work better.

As you’re probably aware your subject is quite popular (I’m a Reason fan myself) so you have to offer something a little different. If you have a difference flaunt it.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sun May 26, 2019 1:08 am

Google measures and lists your site based on a wide array of things. The meta title is one of the most important things. Open overallheader.html and find:

Code: Select all

<title><!-- IF UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT -->({UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT}) <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF not S_VIEWTOPIC and not S_VIEWFORUM -->{SITENAME} - <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->{L_MCP} - <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{L_UCP} - <!-- ENDIF -->{PAGE_TITLE}<!-- IF S_VIEWTOPIC or S_VIEWFORUM --> - {SITENAME}<!-- ENDIF --></title>
Replace with:

Code: Select all

<title><!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->{L_MCP} | <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{L_UCP} | <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_INDEX -->Your Keyword Text Here<!-- ELSE -->{PAGE_TITLE}<!-- ENDIF --> | {SITENAME}</title>
Your Keyword Text Here Should contain keywords you are targeting. You can also improve the forum titles, use more keywords and make them a little longer.

Return to “General Discussion”