selling a forum

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
testingground

selling a forum

Post by testingground » Tue May 28, 2019 1:08 pm

where is the best place to advertise and sell a forum?

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: selling a forum

Post by david63 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Did you try asking Google?

P_I

Post by P_I » Tue May 28, 2019 2:39 pm

testingground wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:08 pm
What about asking your membership if someone or a group would be interested in purchasing?

TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:56 pm

testingground wrote:
Can you email me the site and asking price please, always looking for more forums to buy.

webmaster @ nfvltd .com

Peace

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:17 pm

testingground wrote:
Be advised that a "forum" contains data which may not be sold without proper authorisation. It is not because someone registers on your forum that you are allowed to sell his registration data (e. email adresses, physical addresses, date of birth, etc... even posts , and changing your TOR after the fact won't change that.)

TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm

warmweer wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:17 pm
Be advised that a "forum" contains data which may not be sold without proper authorisation. It is not because someone registers on your forum that you are allowed to sell his registration data (e. email adresses, physical addresses, date of birth, etc... even posts , and changing your TOR after the fact won't change that.)
I am not sure about that, forums sell all the time, when a person registers at a forum they are not registering their information with the forum owner but the forum. I know of many adult forums and even non-adult ones that have changed hands over the 20 odd years I have been in this game.

I don;t see what authorization you would need from the members to buy or sell your forum. For example not that I would sell mine, my members are on sponsorchat not registered with me. If I decide to sell the board the ownership changes nothing. I am not a lawyer and not giving legal advice just my opinion.

Peace

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:27 pm

TheButcher2 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm
I don;t see what authorization you would need from the members to buy or sell your forum.
I didn't say you weren't allowed to sell your forum.
But strictly speaking you'll need individual permissions from each member when selling their "private" data and /or allow them to remove private data, i.o.w. remove their registration data (the posts themselves can sometimes be considered part of the forum - but that could depend on the subject, and also depends on whether the posts were visible to the public: at the time of posting).

added: and also depends on whether the posts were visible to the public: at the time of posting
Last edited by warmweer on Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:35 pm

warmweer wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:27 pm
TheButcher2 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm
I don;t see what authorization you would need from the members to buy or sell your forum.
I didn't say you weren't allowed to sell your forum.
But strictly speaking you'll need individual permissions from each member when selling their "private" data and /or allow them to remove private data, i.o.w. remove their registration data (the posts themselves can sometimes be considered part of the forum - but that could depend on the subject).
I got what you were saying, but honestly I doubt you need the members permission about their data since you are just selling the ownership of the forum. Companies change ownership and even banks, I have never run into a bank asking me if I allow the new owners to have my information. But best check with a lawyer, since I am not one and not pretending to know the legal clarification on the subject.

Peace

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:50 pm

TheButcher2 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:35 pm
I have never run into a bank asking me if I allow the new owners to have my information.
I doubt that. I think you never realised that the bank has asked you in one way or another (shareholders' meetings?). The process of selling a bank takes quite some time and there are commissions designated to ensure that the customers' rights are upheld, including being able to transfer assets and to cancel all links with the bank.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:56 pm

another thing to consider is what country your forum is hosted in. the privacy laws in europe are quite different from the ones here in the states etc.

I am with the OP on this, I doubt you have to worry about this when selling the board. however, in the EU it could be different since they have such strange and strict laws lately regarding anything like this.

robert

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:07 pm

True, I have no idea about US legislation but I doubt whether it allows the TOR to be changed without giving the user the option to opt out. Also, it's not because there might be legislation, that it is enforced.

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 pm

It's done from time to time. But the thing is definitely not that clean.
I would also first of all ask a few possible members.
In any case the members must be informed in time that a change takes place. If this does not suit you, you can at least request that your data be deleted.
A forum that is located in Europe or with many members from Europe, I would probably no longer mediate or even sell.

Talk19Zehn

Re: Selling a forum - what legal basis?

Post by Talk19Zehn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi, who operates the forum? Who runs the forum? A company, an individual, a sole proprietorship? Is it possibly even trademark rights? Is it even possible to protect minors? Can liability claims be relvant?

And as far as I know:
Is it true that US data protection oversight is a matter for the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Federal Trade Commission, which handles competition and consumer protection oversight of companies - or is that wrong?
BTW:
Despite all the criticism: The GDPR has a model character.

The internal processes are too interlinked today to assume that individual positions do not come into contact with sensitive data of European origin.

Ask better a lawyer of your trust. ;)

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Something definitely seems incomplete about the basis of "cannot be sold to someone else", because the users who registered on these sites (phpbb.com, my site, most sites) had no idea whom they were giving their data to in the first place. So the fact that "there is a new owner and operator of the forum" has changed what, exactly, with regard to expectations the user could have reasonably held? It's like saying your privacy has been violated, when in reality you've sitting in the middle of a public library the whole time.

I see language in the standard terms of service about "not disclosing information to third parties." But again, when the question of "whom is even running this forum to begin with" isn't something the user has proven or required disclosure of in the first place, how can you declare someone to be "a third party"? Meaning is "selling the forum" fundamentally any different at all from "we've simply brought on an additional admin." And some days or years later, the old founders just retire, or stop showing up. All the same information has been exposed to the new admin, but "without a sale."

It's not a legal definition, but what I expect from what I agreed to when registering on phpbb.com is that "you're not selling or using my information for some purpose other than running this forum." They are still upholding their end of the bargain, in my opinion, if they turned over phpbb.com to entirely new operators; sale or no sale. So long as this new owner isn't "selling or using my information for some purpose other than running this forum", I'm still in exactly the same position I was in before, and still have exactly the same expectations about using phpbb.com as I had before.

Maybe the words "this forum" is the key. The problem I could envision having with "a new owner" is that they want to change the subject of the board, and begin contacting members about subjects the users would have never joined a board for, never would have opted into, or never would have agreed to provide their contact information for. But that's not "a sale problem", because you can have exactly that same issue even if the board is still under control of the original founders. That's a "you got me to join this board, and then changed what it was about", regardless of operator.

TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:21 pm

Very well said mate

Return to “General Discussion”