selling a forum

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Re: selling a forum

Post by Tastenplayer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:21 am

That's actually true. But normally there is an Impressum in every forum and I look at that first, before I register. When I register in Max Mustermann's forum, I don't suddenly want to be a member of one of my neighbors' forums (especially not without prior information about the change).
Depends on the type of forum, of course. In some forums one must count on the fact that the operator and/or the responsible persons can change.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:28 am

EA117 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 pm
... The problem I could envision having with "a new owner" is that they want to change the subject of the board, and begin contacting members about subjects the users would have never joined a board for, never would have opted into, or never would have agreed to provide their contact information for. But that's not "a sale problem", because you can have exactly that same issue even if the board is still under control of the original founders. That's a "you got me to join this board, and then changed what it was about", regardless of operator.
Frankly , whether it's a sale or a giveaway doesn't make much of a difference to me. When signing up the user agreed to a set of rules, and in most cases that set of rules wouldn't have included statements regarding ownership of the board. But some rules don't have to be explicitly written for them to be inherently present.
When a board is sold, it is a commercial action and the seller has financial gain thanks to content you (as user) provided. He's actually selling your content (+ private data). Without the content, the board wouldn't be worth buying anyway.
Anyway: the main reason I replied to this topic was to emphasise that selling a board is more than just selling the domain/hosting/ software.
GDPR actually made the public (at least a small part of) realise that their data was/is being (mis)used for financial benefit (rephrased by commercial sector as: to give the public a better experience).

My point is not that a board shouldn't be sold, but that users should have the option to have all private data removed (and in certain cases content also).
Note that I wrote all in italics. Forums usually require a username to be given, but not the real name so whether a username can be considered private data is up for discussion.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:12 am

Tastenplayer wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:21 am
an Impressum
An imprint, which is more or less mandatory in German speaking nations. I remember the idea impress page where the author had similar difficulties translating that termn.

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:12 am
Tastenplayer wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:21 am
an Impressum
An imprint, which is more or less mandatory in German speaking nations. I remember the idea impress page where the author had similar difficulties translating that termn.
Can happen that you insert something on DE instead of EN ;) it sounded English to me somehow. :)

Return to “General Discussion”