Open links in new tab

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: Open links in new tab

Post by canonknipser »

warmweer wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:28 pm Doesn't the wheel have a button function also?
With the mice I own you can press to wheel and this is the same as a old-fashioned middle-mouse-button-click
david63 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:50 pm On a point of English grammar they are mice not mouses
A fun fact - the distance of a mouse move if measured in "mickeys" :ugeek:
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

canonknipser wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:40 pm
david63 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:50 pm On a point of English grammar they are mice not mouses
Either mice or mouses works. Personally, I have always called them mousies.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

warmweer wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:28 pm Doesn't the wheel have a button function also?
With the mice I own you can press to wheel and this is the same as a old-fashioned middle-mouse-button-click
A fun fact - the distance of a mouse move if measured in "mickeys" :ugeek:
Better add a © otherwise Disney may sue you ;)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

That's what I use.
A couple of years ago I once tried a 5 button + wheelbutton mouse but my coordination level is permanently stuck at 2 buttons + wheelbutton.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

warmweer wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:28 pmDoesn't the wheel have a button function also?
Yes, but most of the times that enters the scroll mode, too.

david63 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:50 pmOn a point of English grammar they are mice not mouses
I'm not talking about rodents - see a dictionary: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mouses#Noun :idea:
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

My mouse has two wheels, I win. LOL The other wheel is for side scrolling. It also supports gestures, I never use either feature or the extra buttons. It does have three things I love.

1) It's big, you know what they say about guys with big hands... they have a big mouse. :D
2) Freewheel scroll wheel, if you have never tried one of these you will never go back to indexed wheel. You can switch between freewheel and indexed.
3) It can connect to up three devices independently, keyword is independently. There is button on the bottom to switch between devices.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

AmigoJack wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:20 am I'm not talking about rodents - see a dictionary: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mouses#Noun
see another dictionary
Oxford dictionary wrote:Is the plural of mouse in the computing sense mice or mouses? People often feel that this sense needs its own distinctive plural, but in fact the ordinary plural mice is commoner, and the first recorded use of the term in the plural (1984) is mice
-> https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/mouse

But let's leave this for the native speakers 8-)
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

3Di wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Tastenplayer wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:24 pm Now there are 5 buttons and wheel instead of only 3 buttons.
I've got a mouse with 6 plus the wheel. :)
Surely not all of them topside!?

Mine has 7 and while working I was always blocked because the media player opened and I couldn't click any further in the online software. Therefore two buttons deactivated now. :mrgreen:
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It’s definitely meeces:

7E377F1A-D0BE-4B64-97F6-11ED29A0E939.jpeg
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
globetrotting

Post by globetrotting »

david63 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 am That all - I have 160 at the minute!
Is there any other way?! I tend to have those 160 tabs in each of the 3 browsers I use simultaneously!

And, just coming from phpBB2 a week ago: Robert is right, every Link opened in new tab which you could just close once you're done with it and then fall back to the page from which the link was clicked (and click the next one).
No better way imho.

To have the choice in UCP would be the best for both worlds, I will still have to discover if it's actually integrated.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

globetrotting wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:38 am<snip>To have the choice in UCP would be the best for both worlds, I will still have to discover if it's actually integrated.
This is what you are looking for https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/elonw/
globetrotting

Post by globetrotting »

HiFiKabin wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:56 am This is what you are looking for https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/elonw/
For external links, yes, very good.
But it doesn't open internal links like on my search result page in new tabs. Coming from phpBB2 I could click once on a dozen of links, they opened in new tabs, I could work on those, close them and finally reach back to the result page again for the next batch. Nice transparent workflow without any additional right-clicks or browser-backs.
david63

Post by david63 »

globetrotting wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:41 am Nice transparent workflow without any additional right-clicks or browser-backs.
There are no additional clicks - you left click to open in same tab or middle click to open in new tab.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:39 am There are no additional clicks - you left click to open in same tab or middle click to open in new tab.
Years ago that was a Windows-user giveaway ;) (and I am one also)
I wonder if Mac now also supports "middle clicks".
BTW, touchpads also offer single and double clicks, not sure about triple clicks though.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

globetrotting wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:41 am
HiFiKabin wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:56 am This is what you are looking for https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/elonw/
For external links, yes, very good.
But it doesn't open internal links like on my search result page in new tabs. Coming from phpBB2 I could click once on a dozen of links, they opened in new tabs, I could work on those, close them and finally reach back to the result page again for the next batch. Nice transparent workflow without any additional right-clicks or browser-backs.
Actually, the elonw is quite transparent and you could edit it to cancel the check for internal inks (which are left as they are), so that all links are treated as "external" and open in a new window.
I prefer having a choice with internal links which, in most cases, I want to open in the same window anyway.

Return to “General Discussion”