Firefox issue with phpBB3??

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Firefox issue with phpBB3??

Post by Jim_UK » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:43 am

Hi guys - hope that this is being posted into the correct area. It is not so much an issue with phpBB3 but a suspected one with the latest Firefox release.
On phpBB3 sites I am experiencing, a white page with the links that make up that "page" for a second or two before the page "normal" is generated.
This is only happening with phpBB3 sites and no other forum software and does not happen with other browsers, just Firefox latest issue.

What I would like to know is whether this is just unique to my setup or is anyone else experiencing the same when using Firefox?
Below a screen shot of what I see for that second or two.
screenshot.jpg
Thanks in anticipation for any responses.
Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Re: Firefox issue with phpBB3??

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:59 am

Time to clear your browser cache. Or "refresh" firefox.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:16 pm

I have had exactly the same problem for about six months, but only on my desktop computer - laptop is fine. Just upgraded my desktop and the problem has gone away, so it is certainly a PC problem but I have been unable to find it (or probably more to the point is that I have not put that much effort in trying to find the problem)

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:11 pm

Browser cache is regularly cleared. This has only started happening since the last Firefox update just two days ago Ver. 68.0
I am just anxious to make sure that it is that which is causing it and not something I have done or set up. If others on the latest version 68.0 also experience the same then I can raise a bug report with Mozilla but if I just raise it on the strength of my experience it will not carry the same weight.
phpBB3 is a widely used forum software so if the latest version of Firefox is causing problems then they should listen. The best place to ask if others are experiencing the same problem (and are using Ver. 68.0) is of course here were all are using phpBB. Interestingly there is no problem with any phpBB2 site - it only seems to affect Version 3

Jim
The truth is out there.

</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:20 pm

No problem here. But I'm using Firefox Beta 64 Bits.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:32 pm

It just so happens that my FF was updating to 68.0.1 when I was checking which version I was using. No problems with the latest version.

As I said on my "old" desktop this was a problem so I suspect that it is a PC resource problem (possibly one, or more, browser add ons)

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Well David it looks as though you have hit the nail on the head. I have disabled all my Firefox add ons and it has stopped happening. Next step is to re-enable them one at a time to see which is the guilty party.
I will post the culprit so that anyone else experiencing this has a solution. This incompatibility is clearly linked to the update as thoes add ons have been running for a long time with no issues.

Jim

Edit - the guilty party is Avast online security add on to Firefox.

Thanks guys.
The truth is out there.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:03 am

Hey Jim, long time . . .

I’ve had similar problems with FF and ESET. Sometimes FF doesn’t carry over the settings from version to version for ESET. Disabling ESET then re-enabling it has always fixed it for me, until next time. I believe this is mentioned at both Mozilla and ESET.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Or don't use ESET or other anti virus software at all. They are all crap. Standard windows security is good enough.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Mick wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:03 am
Hey Jim, long time . . .
Yes time has flown by - the older you get the faster it seem to go. Still a number of team members that I remember.
Still a moderator on phpbb2refugees.com run by Dave Rathbun and my site still running on Ver. 2 and still going strong after 15 years

I will try re enabling the Avast Add on and see if the problem returns.
Keep well.
Jim
The truth is out there.

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:38 pm

This happens to me from time to time even when I am in phpBB.com. Not only with the Firefox browser but with all browsers. For about 6 months.
It doesn't look as extreme to me as it does to you, though.
Oh yes - this problem of the strange display, I have only on phpbb.com as well as with me in the local TB (Quickinstall Board). Otherwise in no phpbb forum (Win10 High performance computer).

There is also often a 500 error if you want to preview a style in the download area.
Image (sorry for the picture in german, it`s not from today. Chrom Browser)

Thickness and large yellow arrows were additionally displayed today :-) when change topic / site. Very briefly, like lightnings :lol: . Much too short to make a screen of it.

It was the same when I installed the 1 year free mcafee Antivirus subscription and now with the Avast. And even without an active antivirus, that's how it is.

Either way, Firefox isn't what it used to be. I had problems with a download. Although there was no old zip file in the browser anymore, it overwrote the new data with the old ones.

N.B.
Just now by clicking on Board index (Firefox)
just now.jpg
The same now also on phpbb.de. But there only one milisecond - not even enough for one screen.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:01 am

</Solidjeuh> wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 pm
They are all crap
Thats a sweeping generalisation but I agree many are. Many are bloatware and some aren’t, some work and some don’t, not properly anyway.
</Solidjeuh> wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 pm
Standard windows security is good enough.
I admire your confidence.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:06 pm

A moment ago by clicking on Board index this came (after three more tries for Screen it came back and it worked with the Screen as you can see)
board index.png
(Firefox Browser) :lol:
on the left next to the picture: read phpbb.com (It is hardly possible to decipher the text under the triangle - too small).
Standard windows security is good enough.
No way! No way! On the contrary - who trusts Windows and even more Win10 by having to eliminate so many spies and plug holes that you never get to an end?
You shut down what you can. :lol:

N.B
The only browser that always displays phpbb.com correctly (no problems) is the Opera Browser. But I rarely use it, because I'm annoyed by the many huge red O's when linking a page on the desktop. :)

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:30 pm

Firefox and Chrome are crap browsers. I used to be a long time FF supporter and prior to that I was using Netscape, Phoenix and the Mozilla suite. Just by the fact Firefox chooses to use Webextensions for add-on code is ridiculous. That type of code is plagued with security issues. All FF does now is try hard to copy Chrome. My browser of choice now is Pale Moon which uses the old tried and true add-on code XUL. However, many websites especially Google's asinine Recaptcha play hell with it due to useragent sniffing. Although with Recaptcha there's more involved on what it's sniffing in your browser. Try to pass a Recaptcha in FF or Chrome and you can do it in one to two tries. Try it in Pale Moon and it's like ten tries if you can pass it at all. I call that blatant browser discrimination.

For anti-virus I don't use one. I used to use Bitdefender Free, but I just have that on my parent's computer. I mostly depend on Sandboxie for my browser. I used to swear by the add-on NoScript saying it was a gate before your anti-virus, but now a days websites are loaded with JS and everything else and I grew very tired of having to whitelist and/or temp allow scripts which defeated NoScript's whole purpose. SO Sandboxie helps contain all the possible bad in a sand boxed environment never touching my computer. I do use uBlock Origin in PM with several lists including the malware domains list which helps. Plus, the blocking of Ads helps keep malware laced Ads at bay. I scan ALL downloads at Virus Total, and once in a while I'll scan the entire computer with many different things like HerdProtect portable, SuperAntiSpyware, TdSSKiller, Sanity Check, Stream Armor, Ring3 Hook scanner and many other things. Nothing ever found and I don't even use Winblows updates that seem to lack QC and can cause more trouble than they are worth. I see it time and time again on all the computer forums I'm a member of. I maybe have four updates and those pertain to my motherboard drivers and one for Sandboxie to work.

Next time you have a possible browser issue there are many things you can try. As you already found out, disabling add-ons is a starter, but I'd just use safe mode next time instead. To invoke safe mode in your browser, at least for FF and Pale Moon. Press and hold the shift key and launch FF.

Another thing you can try is portable FF as a plain vanilla test bed. Portable Firefox can be had at the portable Apps website.

Something else that could go arye is the prefs.js file. This file is the file that holds your browser settings. Ever go to about:config and change things there? That's where it's all stored. If you temp remove it a new one will build upon the launch of your browser for a clean slate. You can open the prefs.js file with Notepad++ and look in there and see what pref might just be the culprit. You can even compare one prefs.js file with another using Winmerge or other file comparison program. The location of the prefs.js file is in your profile folder. For Pale Moon it's in: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\[profile number].default A similar path is used for Firefox in AppData. You may have more than one profile folder. Usually the one with the most stuff in it is the one you're looking for. Another way of finding the prefs.js file and other files in practically a few seconds is by using Everything.exe by VoidTools. This is a search program to find things on your computer which works a lot better than the Windows search. I use it all the time and turn off indexing which helps with the write cycles on my SSDs. And you can find text withen files using FileSeek. It will even browse though DLLs so long as your search query matches what's in the DLL. To edit DLLs use ResourceHacker. :lol: Okay, more Info. then needed.

I think by in large this is some sort of CSS issue or caching issue with the browser and the anti-virus engine. If the problem is still going on even with a plain vanilla FF (remember portable FF I told you about?), then it may just be a FF problem and they need to rectify their code. If I actually knew PHP, HTML, JS, and CSS I could perhaps go through it and compare and contrast between the version that worked and the version that didn't and see just what code is the issue. I did this with the prefs.js file to find an issue with an add-on I use call I Don't Care About Cookies which disables that annoying "We use Cookies" verbiage you see on many websites thanks to GDPR. I told the add-on Dev about it and he fixed the add-on in the last release.

I just checked both of my phpBB driven forums with portable FF version 67.0.4 and there is a split second of non-CSS like behavior. I'll try the latest version of FF latter and see what happens. Using portable Chrome version 74 and it renders the index fine for both of my sites.

Now excuse me while I squeeze a squid for ink. :geek:

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Tastenplayer wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:06 pm
who trusts Windows and even more Win10 by having to eliminate so many spies and plug holes that you never get to an end?
When I do use Win10 some ten to the 5th power years from now... :lol: :D :lol: I intend to deploy the Pfsene firewall on a nettop and block all M$'s ASNs and then monitor SNMP for anything going in and out that shouldn't be on MY computer. If I see anything else that shouldn't be there its ASNs will get blocked as well. If I need M$ for something (I don't Bing), then I'll punch through my firewall with my VPN. I'll also be sure to use one of the many anti-spy, etc programs in my OS and I'll customize the install ISO stripping out all of the crap before deployment. I have a YouTube video on that on my forum.

Redmond has turned the user into their little cash cow. Just like how a smartphone is a marketer's wet dream come true. I do have a smartphone, but it's certainly not my primary means of surfing the Internet.

If no one wants to mess With Windows there's always Qubes. Check it out.

Return to “General Discussion”