ECommerce Setup Advice

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
PoliFactsGlobal
Name: K E

ECommerce Setup Advice

Post by PoliFactsGlobal » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi - wanted to get some feedback from people here with some real world experience.

Looking to setup an Ecommerce Site associated with my forum.

I would like to have it directly within the phpbb forum - Or at least Appear to be. Clearly there is a security issue any time you set one up.

I have the the knowledge to make my own (But not the motivation). Any suggestions on Ecomm Extensions for phpbb that are strong and Solid.
Or other Ecomm OpenSource pkg.

There are some Drupal packages, but Drupal drives me insane (At least last time I tried which was at least 5 years ago)

What are others using ?

TIA
Poli

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: ECommerce Setup Advice

Post by Mick » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 am

I’ve seen several discussions on this subject here lately, one such discussion is here. I suggest in the first place you search here for ‘shopping cart’, ‘e commerce’ or ‘web shop’. You may get a better idea by posting in extension requests.
PoliFactsGlobal wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:03 pm
What are others using ?
It all depends who the “others” are. If you see a setup somewhere you like you could ask the board owners how they’ve done it.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: ECommerce Setup Advice

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:44 pm

phpbb is bulletin board, not a ecommerce site.

it can certainly be changed and made into whatever you want, that is one of the great things about phpbb.
however, I do believe for certain things it is better to just install a program designed to do what you want and link back and forth with your bulletin board.
in this case, trying to turn a bulletin board script into a ecommerce script could be very very complicated.
it would be much easier to install any one of the hundreds of ecommerce scripts right next to your board.

if you need member integration then if what you are trying to do is popular enough somebody may have already greated a user integration extension etc.

if not that popular then you can usually find someone to create one for you at a price.

luck,
robert

Return to “General Discussion”