Hoe to deal the a phpbb Forum who do so illegal actvity?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
enter a valid email

Hoe to deal the a phpbb Forum who do so illegal actvity?

Post by enter a valid email » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi
I wish there where some kind of licencing think even the Software, Licence will be free.
Sadly a lot of Forum installation run illegally with illegally contend like Hate speech, Trade and or Company Secrets,...
How to deal with it? What could we do to stop them from doing that?
Thanks

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Hoe to deal the a phpbb Forum who do so illegal actvity?

Post by KevC » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Contact the local authorities I guess.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

enter a valid email

Post by enter a valid email » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:05 pm

:D Without an Imprint it will redirect directly into 🗑️.
The problem is the could claim very fast the are not suitable for because is outside of there Jurisdiction.
Lets say someone is using an Cloud Provider and what the do is illegal in Austria but not directly where the Cloud Provider is.
So under with Jurisdiction does it fell?

EDIT: Omg this Page isnt compliant with the European Law. :shock:
I miss this for example:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... _Anschrift

Where is the GDPR Stuff?! :shock:

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Sometimes the top level domain can give you a hint, and even cloud providers (BTW: every websites is somewhere "in the cloud") should have a concact address, terms and conditions, owners, lawyers ...

BTW: sometimes I read (as a german) on boards where eg. people sell and buy weapons, which is illegal in Germany, but the board is a US board, so I guess it is legal in the US. Shall I call the german police?

You linked to a board owned and hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation, which is a foundation based on US law, so I guess german imprint rules don't apply.
And if you mean phpbb.com, this is not a german company either, so I guess it's the same.

But IANAL ...

enter a valid email

Post by enter a valid email » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Sometimes the top level domain can give you a hint
Well in theories yes. In Practise its impossible to fight any legal thinks against Ghost.
What if when the Person who Registered it already died? :shock:
should have a concact address, terms and conditions, owners, lawyers ...
even here I could not find any address. :shock:
BTW: sometimes I read (as a german) on boards where eg. people sell and buy weapons, which is illegal in Germany, but the board is a US board, so I guess it is legal in the US. Shall I call the german police?
I talk more about thinks like Hatespeech. Does anyone on Youtube even the is an Asshole deserve it to get Personal Data made Public?
For example you run a Forum, Site,... what ever and Visit a Doc (fresh from Med School) who hates you and Post Online your Decease. :roll:
How to fight against that? Its quite impossible to delete such thinks.
In the US its easy to accuse someone to be a Paedophile even the never get convicted the Media could say XY was convicted as...
Here in Europe the use the Therm Nazi. Look into Wikipedia. Some People sued a Guy who had edited this shit into Wikipedia. :twisted:
You linked to a board
Could you explan what a "Ladungsfähige Anschrift" mean in English? I cant. :lol:
which is a foundation based on US law, so I guess german imprint rules don't apply.
Nope but since the have a German Area https://de.wikipedia.org the should fall under local laws. I cant explain why in detail but when Website is in a local Language the is intend for People from the Country so the fall in there Jurisdiction to.
Lets say a Site is in French that mean People from French are on of your Customer you fall into French Law to.

Well its possible to sue anyone from any Forum if you find out who the Person is behind the Display.
If the are not Stupid good luck: https://gruppe42.com, https://de.wikimannia.org/Gerhard_Sattler

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:24 pm

enter a valid email wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:14 pm
I cant explain why in detail but when Website is in a local Language the is intend for People from the Country so the fall in there Jurisdiction to.
Lets say a Site is in French that mean People from French are on of your Customer you fall into French Law to.
You can't explain it because there doesn't exist a "law" stating such. The language does in no way define under which jurisdiction a site falls.

enter a valid email

Post by enter a valid email » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:39 pm

When a Site is (mostly) in German and intend to visited by Germany, Austrians the also fall into that law.
Its maybe the same law who force Company to put a Manual in there Language who sell them put into the Box.
Thats why here in Europe if something is sell there is a Huge Manual as thick a Book inside the Box to contain very possible language. :lol:

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:39 pm
When a Site is (mostly) in German and intend to visited by Germany, Austrians the also fall into that law.
Its maybe the same law who force Company to put a Manual in there Language who sell them put into the Box.
Thats why here in Europe if something is sell there is a Huge Manual as thick a Book inside the Box to contain very possible language. :lol:
Please cite (or at link to) the relevant articles.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Report them to Interpol.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

enter a valid email

Post by enter a valid email » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:31 pm

The told me that during a Seminar: https://www.wko.at/
Report them to Interpol.
If its not some "highly" illegal stuff I guess the dont care. Even there is no international definition (what I know) what is Hatespeech and what "free speech".
I can say some historic think about the Time between 1930 and 1945 in the US but when I say the same here in Austria I face out a long time in Jail. :roll:

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 pm

first, just because you think something is illegal does not make so.
also, just because something is illegal in one country does not make it so in other countries.

so, the first thing you have to do is find out where the site is hosted. the fact that it may be available in germany and be using the german language
does not mean that it has to follow german laws. if germany does not allow that type of website then it is up to them to figure out how to restrict access within their country, not to you or the owner of the website.

then, if you find that the site legally has to follow the law of a given country, you have find out the truth about whether it is actually illegal in that country.

again, just because you think so or you read somewhere or listened to some seminar does not make it so.

then you can try to report them if you feel the need.

and, finally. hate speech is a very hard thing to prove.
here in the US, some people are claiming anything they don't agree with is hate speech.

actually, there was no such thing (legally) as hate speech in the US until just a few years ago and it came about because of people that did not aggree with the opinions of other started calling it hate speech.

I would suggest you take a break and worry about your board and how to make it work the way you want it and not spend your enery worrying about what other people are doing. you will be much happier that way.

luck,
roert

canonknipser

Post by canonknipser » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 pm
I would suggest you take a break and worry about your board
:thumbsup:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 pm
because of people that did not aggree with the opinions of other started calling it hate speech
Wasn't that "Fake News"? 8-)

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:25 pm

Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:31 pm
The told me that during a Seminar: https://www.wko.at/
Who is "The"?
And BTW that site is not GDPR compliant. For one, It's a pain to get to the cookie settings, secondly GDPR requires an opt-in, NOT an opt-out, thirdly, when I start roaming the pages, it ask me for my location (which it shouldn't since I've already chosen not to accept any cookies) and the only locations offered to me are Austrian (that's a direct violation of GDPR). OK, I may have missed some options and my German isn't good enough to understand every legal expression, but I've seen enough to know that that site wouldn't pass scrutinous investigation.
You don't seem to realise that legislation concerning a website is limited to the region that website is offically assigned to. Is that the location of the domainname, the hosting company, the servers, the owner of the company, etc...? If the website is in breach all you can do is file a complaint with the department assigned to monitor these things and if the website is under its jurisdiction, it can then start a procedure, if it isn't all they can do is have that website blacklisted by all providers under its jurisdiction (and that can be easily be bypassed so no provider will take that path).
Almost no US or Russian sites are GDPR compliant yet they are still visible in Europe - imagine Europe blocking all those sites.

The point is: if you think a website doesn't comply with the rules (or you think it doesn't) you can file a complaint somewhere, but where isn't always very clear (perhaps the Ministry of Communication 8-) ).

canonknipser

Post by canonknipser » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 pm

warmweer wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:25 pm
the location of the domainname
youtube is a company under belgian law :D
warmweer wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:25 pm
Ministry of Communication
Or the Department of Magical Law Enforcement

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:30 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 pm
youtube is a company under belgian law :D
I never tried to understand how GDPR deals with those sites that can have a .be .com and others. Strictly speaking Belgian law could well be more restrictive than GDPR but frankly I think GDPR is the rule, after all it is a European directive (I wonder if GB is prepared for october when those laws cease to be binding :lol: ) Maybe we'll have to block GB based websites ;)

added:
Oops, I just read the opening post again, and it's about illegal activity - I completely misinterpreted it and the follow up posts (and somehow got into a GDPR phase).

Return to “General Discussion”