Finally some good news!!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
John connor
Name: Aaron

Re: Finally some good news!!

Post by John connor »

warmweer wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:52 pm
Actually you will, but put in the right context.
Put in the right context? Just how clear do you need the facts on what Lumpy just posted?

I think you are just full of Trump hate like the rest of them and have TDS.

Dispute everything here line by line or GTFO. https://710wor.iheart.com/featured/mark ... ts-so-far/

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:13 pm
You won't find any of this mentioned on any of the main stream media
I feel like a statement like this is one of the reasons why the US is currently so divided. Not necessarily that saying something like this is the problem, but because there is actually an element of truth in it. Many of the main US news outlets are in fact biased and spew news with a significant part of political party sauce over it. For example, FOX News as a very conservative network would always support republicans, and flowing from that Trump (apparently they're starting to become slightly more critical of him as of late, but still my point stands). CNN on the other hand is a very liberal network being incredibly supportive of democrats. Naturally, you'll listen more to the network that feeds your beliefs, why would you subject yourself to what you see as bias? While in fact, both are biased and now you're hearing loads and loads of things that only make the beliefs you already have stronger and make "hatred" or at the very least distrust of the other side stronger.

As a result, nobody hears the full story and it becomes so much more difficult to make an informed decision. Media here in the Netherlands are different. Most people would agree that the biggest news outlets are reasonably impartial. Sure, reporters have opinion pieces that show a bit of left preference or a bit of right preference depending on what you read, but the main news articles are written in a way showing the angles that both wings have and focusing mainly on facts. As a result, these outfits are neither just very positive about Trump nor very negative about Trump. Articles show that Trump does incredibly well on the economic side of things (which is very important to Americans, thus making him the odds on favourite to being re-elected) yet seems very erratic on his foreign policy choices. Also, despite Trump calling everything a witch hunt, our news outlets can show you reasonable documents and proof that Trump did seem to try to sabotage political opponents, reeking of abuse of power.

Would CNN tell you about the economicly great decisions Trump has made? I doubt it. But would FOX News call out the president on some of the most blatant lies that can easily be disproven by reading some transcripts or official documents? Most certainly not either. I feel that this division having spread to most media is what is creating the most trouble. You cannot know what to believe anymore.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

John connor wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:18 pm
Put in the right context? Just how clear do you need the facts on what Lumpy just posted?
Which facts did Lumpy post?
All I see is a link to an article with a list of statistical data but no proof that Trump 'good" governance is the "cause". Many of those "achievements" are just plain thanks to an economy in an upward trend, generally known as cyclical economy.
John connor wrote:
I think you are just full of Trump hate like the rest of them and have TDS.
I don't hate Trump but he certainly had given enough reasons not to like him. I'll refrain form posting the acronyms of some psychological deviations attributed to him.
John connor wrote:
Dispute everything here line by line or GTFO. https://710wor.iheart.com/featured/mark ... ts-so-far/
You really sound like a regular Trump believer, with GTFO as the strongest argument to bring forward.

I opened this topic with some serious and lighthearted exchanges in mind and took for granted that it would remain cordial and respectful.
Oh well, I was wrong it seems ... but it is in line with Trump's behaviour. :lol:

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

JimA wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:28 pm
As a result, these outfits are neither just very positive about Trump nor very negative about Trump.
It's the historic duality in most of the USA. I've known a couple of Americans , decent people and realistic professionally, but anything related to homeland politics and the word NEUTRAL (or objective) ceases to exist.
JimA wrote:
You cannot know what to believe anymore.
We're all biased in one way or another but generally our political system (perhaps even more in Belgium than in the Netherlands) requires working together and reaching compromises. BTW Rutte is a master in reaching compromises, I think he must have Belgian ancestry ;)

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Mick wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 am
Incidentally, what flavour would a third party be in the US? The way I see it the Republicans are conservative which ever way you look at it. The Democrats are middle of the road, more like the Liberals in the UK, so I can only imagine any new (major) party would have to be hard left or Marxist?
I doubt a viable third party would emerge. Both major parties are moving left. The religious right is slowly being marginalized and Republicans are becoming more liberal on the moral issues, the Democrats however are moving to the left at light speed. They are losing that traditional base in favor of more radical ideas and it's not going to work very well for them in the future going down the road.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

JimA wrote:
Would CNN tell you about the economicly great decisions Trump has made?
I'm old enough to remember when we had journalists with integrity before the news became entertainment, this is really the primary problem with news in the US today. They all pander to a demographic instead of just reporting the news. Typically in the past before Trump was elected I'd switch between CNN and Fox. One day not too long after he was elected there was three important major stories. one of them as announcement for his energy policy. Three things of that caliber. I watched CNN for 20 minute and they were droning on and on about some tweet he made. That was last time I really spent any time watching CNN.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

thecoalman wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:50 am
I'm old enough to remember when we had journalists with integrity before the news became entertainment, this is really the primary problem with news in the US today.
Agreed, but I notice the same thing in Europe, and it's very prominent in newspapers (which are usually politically tainted). However, thanks to the multiparty system, it's a lot more difficult for high officials to get away with false or misleading statements in this part of the world (but sometimes they do notwithstanding).
Unfortunately, as the impeachment show will prove, Party interests will overshadow any objective (and legal) facts (which Republican senator would risk/commit political suicide by going against the Party). Surely history has ample examples showing that the times for biparty political system are long gone.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I have a question, probably not related but something I’ve wondered about. In the US the colours of the two sides are arse backwards to the rest of the world. Traditionally, since WWII and the cold war paranoia, the left has been red and the right blue, in the states it’s the opposite. This I don’t quite understand as the US invented the “better dead than red” (c:1924?) and “reds under the bed”, and the flag of the USSR was red.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:31 am
I have a question, probably not related but something I’ve wondered about. In the US the colours of the two sides are arse backwards to the rest of the world. Traditionally, since WWII and the cold war paranoia, the left has been red and the right blue, in the states it’s the opposite. This I don’t quite understand as the US invented the “better dead than red” (c:1924?) and “reds under the bed”, and the flag of the USSR was red.
Didn't Trump also bloat and brag about him being red hot? :lol:

Interesting question by the way, so I searched and found this interesting article.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Mick wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:31 am
Went and looked it up, historically it appears Republicans were typically blue but no normalization of it until around 2000. Liberal media probably switched it to associate them with Russia, Russia, Russia. :lol:

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

warmweer wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 am
Surely history has ample examples showing that the times for biparty political system are long gone.
This is 100% political as illustrated by the Clinton impeachment/trial, by his own admission he committed a felony. What he did is almost exactly what Stone and Flynn have done although it appears that Flynn may have been railroaded. Stone will certainly spend time behind bars and it's likely Flynn will too.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

warmweer wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:46 am
so I searched and found this
Thanks, I suppose I could have done that but a discussion is good👍🏼

I just thought of something else as the article you linked mention it starting in Britain. In parliament, viewing the house from the speakers position labour sits on the left and the conservatives sit on the right.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:04 pm
I just thought of something else as the article you linked mention it starting in Britain.
Why am I not surprised :lol:
Funny thing is that right is usually considered good (right = correct) and left is considered bad (Latin: sinistra, as in sinister).

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

The English language is full of double and treble meanings, right can mean ok, right hand side, correct, conservative or I agree with you; left can mean gone away, left hand side or labour - there’s probably more. It’s a very contextual language, and, with the do gooders pushing it further and further towards gender neutrality it will become more so.

Wirral Talk

Post by Wirral Talk »

Mick wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:04 pm
I just thought of something else as the article you linked mention it starting in Britain. In parliament, viewing the house from the speakers position labour sits on the left and the conservatives sit on the right.
The ruling government(party) sits on the right of the speaker.

Return to “General Discussion”