TinyPic closing down

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
CarolC1

TinyPic closing down

Post by CarolC1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:54 am

It says on their website they are closing down. They were unable to email users to notify them. They had a timeline where you could no longer upload, then the pics would no longer show on 3rd party sites. Right now you can still log into your account and download pics till Sept 16.

Unfortunately, I see a number of forum posts on our board with tinypic images, and they no longer show. I plan to notify a few members so that at least they can save their own pics if needed. There will be members I will be unable to notify. I wish there was a way to save those photos in cases where the member cannot be contacted to do so themselves.
www.tinypic.com wrote: TinyPic is shutting down

Due to an inability to support a high-quality free digital service that derives 100% of its revenue from ever declining on-site revenues, TinyPic will be permanently shutting down on September 16, 2019. Because we want to give you as much notice and information as possible during our transition, please carefully review the following information.

What Should You Do Now?

If you have a TinyPic user account, login and download all of the images you wish to preserve. Sorry, bulk download is not an option on TinyPic so you will need to download each image separately.

IMPORTANT DATES:

August 20, 2019 - no new images may be uploaded on TinyPic.

September 9, 2019 - hosted images will no longer be viewable on 3rd party websites. Because we are an anonymous hosting site and therefore cannot provide notice by e-mail to our users, we have opted to replace all hosted images with a temporary message directing them to this notice.

September 16, 2019 - last day for TinyPic account holders to access their accounts and download their images.

We would like to personally thank you for choosing TinyPic as your hosting service. Many of you have been utilizing our services since we launched back in April 2004. As you look for a new hosting service, please consider selecting one of the premium plans offered by our sister site, Photobucket.

AmigoJack

Re: TinyPic closing down

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:25 am

Reminder #1: TinyPic is owned by PhotoBucket.
Reminder #2: picture hosters are meant for sharing, not for storing/saving.

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 pm

I am really sorry to see them close, they were appreciated by so many users over the years and did a real service.

That being said, it does leave a mess. I searched 'tinypic' here on phpBB and most of the posts where TinyPic images occur are user posts, but some are well-known helpful members, and I saw TinyPic in the post of a former team member also.

I do not know if that is the image TinyPic will continue to display (if any). Possibly they will switch the image to an ad for Photobucket, don't know.

TinyPic_phpBB.PNG

Here is another example of how this sort of thing can go. The original url for the image below was stuffquest.com. It used to display a small image, maybe an animated gif. Apparently stuffquest closed down, and now there is this ad for the company selling the domain name. On our board there are a number of stuffquest urls that display like this (if left unedited). I assume the domain company has its "signboard" out all over the web on forums where these stuffquest images were posted. The domain company did not ask our permission to advertise on our forum. And it did not ask the permission of the poster to advertise in their post. In a sense, they have opportunistically spammed the board.

Redirect.PNG

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:34 am

For what it's worth, I notified our members of this, and 2 got back to me saying they could not remember their log in and that TinyPic is not allowing password reset. So even if you try to log in and download your pics, it isn't letting you.

EDIT TO ADD:
Looks like the TinyPic images posted on this website are saved in archive.org. Good news for those sites lucky enough to have been archived.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2191564
https://web.archive.org/web/20190405132 ... &t=2191564

Return to “General Discussion”