Can I sell second hand theme here?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Linsa

Can I sell second hand theme here?

Post by Linsa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:32 pm

Bought theme at theme forest with one year of support. Don't want the theme and wonder if you can sell here? Hope I am not wrong now

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Can I sell second hand theme here?

Post by JimA » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:25 pm

I don’t know the terms ThemeForest apply, but my guess would be that selling it once bought isn’t allowed. ;)
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Linsa

Post by Linsa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:34 pm

Don't know what their terms say, but if someone with desire and energy wants to read through their terms then maybe you can fix a sub-forum here pre-sales of themes and extension maybe?

Linsa

Post by Linsa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:38 pm

Linsa wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:34 pm
Don't know what their terms say, but if someone with desire and energy wants to read through their terms then maybe you can fix a sub-forum here pre-sales of themes and extension maybe?

I asked the question at Themeforest and got an answer:
Hi

You have purchased the item license. So, you are free to use it for your personal use (website) or for your client or for your friend. Only important thing is that only you (your envato account) are allowed to download future update and get item author support.

Thanks
Then there should be no problems.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:11 pm

You can't sell it (the license), you can use it. IMO.

Tarantino

Post by Tarantino » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:16 pm

Loool, no, you cannot resell any kind of product you buy digitally.
Unless you paid for that, but you didn't paid above1000$ so there is no way you are able to do it.

Just use the theme... If you didn't wanted to use, you would not buy in the first place. And spending time for 17$, kinda ridiculous imo.

WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Linsa wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Bought theme at theme forest with one year of support. Don't want the theme and wonder if you can sell here? Hope I am not wrong now
Here is what you should be looking at:

Regular License:
Use, by you or one client, in a single end product which end users are not charged for. The total price includes the item price and a buyer fee.

Extended License:
Use, by you or one client, in a single end product which end users can be charged for. The total price includes the item price and a buyer fee.

So no, you cannot sell it if you purchased a regular license but you can if you purchased an Extended License.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 pm

Tarantino wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:16 pm
Loool, no, you cannot resell any kind of product you buy digitally.
Depends on how it's licensed but such items are typically licensed as non transferable.
Unless you paid for that, but you didn't paid above1000$ so there is no way you are able to do it.
Transferring the license for single copy would not cost $1K however it's one license. For example if you are ancient person like myself and buy a CD you don't own the music, you own a plastic disc. The music is licensed for personal use, the license is transferred with ownership of the disc if you sell it. The same thing could be done with digital downloads if the copyright owner chose to.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:36 pm

WelshPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:20 pm
So no, you cannot sell it if you purchased a regular license but you can if you purchased an Extended License.
I don't think that's a correct reading of the license terms shown. They're saying if you have a for-profit site, you have to pay for the Extended License. If you have a non-paid-access site, then you only need the Regular License. i.e. If you're making money off this, then so are we. Otherwise, US$17.

In both cases, what you're purchasing is a license for use on only a single site; a site owned either by you, or by the client you bought the license for. The potential to transfer or resell this single-site license isn't mentioned at all.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:41 pm

Ditto.
3Di wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:11 pm
You can't sell it (the license), you can use it. IMO.

Linsa

Post by Linsa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:47 pm

Can I give it away?

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:32 am

No, regardless from whether it's allowed or not per the license, phpBB.com is not the place for this.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Return to “General Discussion”